Best 3-4 season jacket under $600 for Florida commuter

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TBDucatista, Jan 12, 2013.

1. TBDucatista

TBDucatista n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Inmates - I've been hunting for a new jacket since September and haven't been able to pull the trigger. Originally had my eye on the Rukka Armax, or Spidi's Ergo 365 Pro, but in the end, I couldn't justify shelling out for a jacket that costs more than most high quality jackets+pants+Sidi Adventure Gore-tex boots. Now I'm looking for a 3-4 season textile that would be suitable for Florida commuting, which means heat, humidity, and rain. I have been looking at jackets in the Dainese Bruce Gore-tex/Spidi Marathon vein. Needs to be durable, well made, and preferably available in a tall cut. I'm 6'2", 175lbs, so euro-cut is fine for me. I've been doing so much reading and research, that I have completely spun myself out and landed in a state of total indecision.

Hoping to get your experiences/opinions with gear in hot and humid environs. I tried an half hour of searches, but didn't stumble upon a direct answer to my question. Apologies if this specific set of criteria has been discussed ad nauseum.
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't say what part of Florida. Pensacola is a lot different that Miami. Otherwise I would suggest something like a Joe Rockett mesh. Just keep the liner handy.
  3. Socrates

Socrates Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you considered the Rukka Airob? Bikerland has it on closeout for a good price.

I'm about your size...6'1, 175 lbs, and I have the Airvision. It's a discontinued model, but made of Cordura AFT which is highly breathable in the summer, and very warm with the liner.
  4. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Airvision. The relpacement is the Airway which would be prfect but it isn't $600. the AFT cordura is the way to go though. Feels a 1000 times more secure than mesh and breathes just the same.

Avoid gorex or any other breathable membrane that is not removable or is built into the shell. It's just to hot in high humidity
  5. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-x-moto-jacket

Love mine,handles SW and west coast heat and cold very well:thumb
    Rain and thermal liners are removable,so it breathes/vents nearly as well as an all mesh jacket when all the panels and vents are opened,
    don't think that I have even opened them all,even in 100 degree weather.
    Very weather/rainproof when all buttoned up.
    I have the grey/hi viz version.

JR356
  6. TBDucatista

TBDucatista n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm in the Tampa Bay area, spend most of my time in Pinellas and Pasco counties. I try to use side streets and avoid traffic, but every once in a while I get stuck. Right now, it couldn't be better riding weather, but I'm already dreading August. Not sure there is a jacket/pants combo on this Earth that would work well in 95*F, 100% humidity. :)

Surprised at all the features in the Olympia, but I have to admit that the Rukka Airway has me thinking expensive thoughts right now! Is RevZilla the only shop able to get their hands on Rukka gear? I know they're good people, but I hate paying MSRP for anything. The Airob looks like a nice option, but I'm worried about return shipping. Been reading the boards for a while, and I know bikerland has a great reputation, but I'm still iffy about the logistics involved with ordering from Europe.

I have even MORE options to consider now! haha One thing that keeps me coming back to Rukka is the jacket style. I have a 1098S along with the Multi, so their sport-ish designs have always seemed more appealing to me. Thanks for the suggestions all, definitely giving me a lot to think about.
  7. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't settle for something else to save a few bucks and live with the regret later unless you are a young broke college student. But, with the bikes in the garage I suspect that is not the case.

If you like the Rukka go with that unless you find something you like better. Saving a few bucks should rank pretty low on the list of whats important.
  8. LKLD

LKLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at the Dainese Teren D-Dry?
  9. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
  11. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Olympia Air. Waterproof insulated liner. Had mine since 2006. Easy on the wallet compared to the Rukkas and Klims.
    Revit also has a few jackets that supposedly breath really well.
  12. joeoldbmwrider

joeoldbmwrider oldjoe Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I moved from Tallahassee out here to the Wrong Coast last year. After living in the Tallahassee area for 38 of my 46 years, I know the humidity down there very well. A couple of years before I moved, I got my Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and pants.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=15&cid=27&Itemid=15

The jacket lists for $450 (without the liner), so it's in your price range. And, it's custom made to your measurements, so fit should be perfect.

IMO, the Motoport air mesh Kevlar gear is the ONLY gear that is worth wearing* in those FL conditions. You can go with their Aerotex waterproof/breathable liners, if you want, for when it's raining. Mine do work well and, I think, breathe better than any other gear I've seen. But, it's expensive compared to just buying some Frogg Toggz to put on over your suit when you need to.

In FL, I don't think there is ANY way to ride in the summer, in the rain, and not arrive either wet from rain or wet from sweat. But, I think the MP air mesh with the Aerotex liner is probably going to get you there the dryest (no rain, and the least sweating) of all your available options.

[​IMG]

* Okay, I'm not saying if you don't have MP gear you should just wear nothing. I'm just saying that leather or a jacket/suit like a Roadcrafter is just too hot. And anything less protective than the MP gear, leather, or a Roadcrafter is not sufficient protection. I.e. I personally will not ride with less protection than at least what a Roadcrafter gives.
  14. CreatureCore

CreatureCore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Teiz Sahara, perforated cordura, super fabric, and sastech armor. Combine that with a paclite goretex shell that can be had on eBay under 100 rather easily and your golden. A water proof liner will boil you in fl humidity if you can't remove it. If it is raining its a pain to put a liner on easier to throw a water proof shell over your jacket.

store.teizms.com/sahara
  15. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in a climate similar to he OP and am very happy with an Olympia Air Glide 3. GH
  16. Flydream

Flydream King of the Atlantic

Oddometer:
    I bought the rallye 3, 40% of in my Country ( the 2013 is coming soon ).
    Very nice suit:clap, you should check!
  17. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to look for a used BMW Rallye3 jacket in the fleamarket. You can find them in the $500 range. Venting is outstanding on that jacket as is protection and visibility. Comfort is second to none if you can find your size. The liner is "waterproof" but I have recently discovered that the lower sleeves are less then perfect on a longer trip (2 hours in the rain). With the liner in, I can ride in temps in the 50's pretty easily. If it is raining and cold, a heater liner is required and that also takes care of the shortcoming of the damp liner.

ETA: It is possible that new Rallye3 jackets will soon be discounted as well. The above poster is correct that the new Rallye4 is coming in about 2 months.
  18. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread with great interest. I have to say that I can't believe some of you have actually ridden in Florida year round with some of the suggestions I've seen, because if I'm not in mesh, I'm just about going to die at every traffic light. I run hot anyway, but its unbelievable, the humidity is just awful. So for me, it's mesh, and if it rains I just try to hunker down behind my windshield. No standard textile jacket could ever vent enough for me, but I know mesh isn't a great solution for rainy days, or road rash protection, for that matter.

I don't know if the is a way to be comfortable down here other than in January or Febuary.
  19. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to think the same way you did until I read this article: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Mesh is in fact cooler but also dangerous. Vented is the only answer if you're going to be on the road for more than 30 minutes at a time. As for "comfort" at a traffic light or heavy traffic, there is nothing comfortable. Hell, standing on the sidewalk in shorts is uncomfortable in high heat and humidity.
  20. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Motoport mesh kevlar gear is better protection than race leathers. My Motoport suit has more body armor in it than my Syed custom race leathers. And the mesh kevlar is significantly stronger than leather.