Lights for Givi E-41

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by deliverydave, Aug 2, 2010.

1. deliverydave

deliverydave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone put lights on their hard luggage, Givi or otherwise? A friend was behind me last night and said that the bags really needed some lighting on them. I'm looking for decent lights, price not really a big issue here. What brand are you running and how hard were they to install? Thanks! :ear I should mention that these are side mounted cases only. Thanks.
  2. Armacham

Armacham I Voted for Kodos!

Oddometer:
    I don't have any lights on the big 45 liter on my KLR, just a ton of 3m reflective tape.

I did install the GIVI light kit on the E30 I had on my old scooter. It was pretty nice, and I was able to wire it right into my brake light wire very easily.

haha and then I just read the last line that this is for side cases. The above info is for top cases.
  3. spaceharrier

spaceharrier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wired some Signal Dynamics 3" LED bars into my Sears/JC Whitney topcase. Work pretty well, with dual intensity so they act as both running and brake lights. Wired them in downstream of the modulator (using an Eastern Beaver kit) so the brake illumination also flashes.

I'd say it makes the rear much more visible, not least because those lights sit so high up. Whether that makes drivers see me better, I don't know.

Install wasn't too bad. I had to Dremel out some slots to mount them and run wires through and from the case. Mapping out and cutting the case was the hard part; wiring was easy. If you have a top case designed to take a light kit the whole thing would be pretty close to trivial, and IMHO worth the trouble.
  4. mspz241

mspz241 n00b

Oddometer:
    i installed admore lights for the e41 cases. purchased from twisted throttle. they were very easy to install and are worth the cost.
  5. deliverydave

Oddometer:
    I was going to purchase them when I got my cases, but I was hesitant on drilling into the new cases. How do they wire in? Are the cases still able to taken off and put back on easily? Thanks.
  6. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Excellent lights and David used a twist & pull connector so the bags are easily removed. I think he's using a different version of connector than the one I have

7. hoffy

hoffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is to just get some good reflective tape and take off the red plastic piece, there is white plastic film underneath, I just put the tape on that and put it back together, and slathered the whole thing with reflector tape.The red plastic really shows under lights, but for me is not enough, did this with my top case. I have an E-46, I believe, top case and have a Givi light kit for it, just haven't put it on yet, side cases always on, not so for the top. I am broke now, but may put lights on the E-41s, I know Twisted has a set of brake and signal lights, but 150$:eek1
    You can't be too careful, got hit from behind at a light by a car going 40 mph, was just turning head to look at mirrors, bike toast, I may be too, but still riding(hurts too much to ride in a car)
  8. mspz241

mspz241 n00b

Oddometer:
    the wiring kit is very easy to install. you do have to drill hole in your cases but the twist connect fills it up so they remain water proof. the cases are very easy to remove with the tiwst connections. adding the lights made a 100% improvement in visibility.
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  10. deliverydave

Oddometer:
    Perfect. Thanks for the insight. I believe I'll be adding the Admores soon.
  11. Epee84

Epee84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the electrical connector through the case cause any issues packing the case? Does stuff packed in the case hang up on the wires, etc.?

Thanks.