About to buy my first trials bike, any advice?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by HolyCannoli, Sep 20, 2013.

1. HolyCannoli

HolyCannoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I have been wanting to get into trials for several years and am finally ready to take the plunge. A 1995 Montessa Cota 314r just popped up for sale 20 minutes from my house for $1500. Is this a good bike to start out on? Is this a decent price if the bike is in reasonable condition? What should I look for when looking at a used trials bike? Any advice from you trials pro's would be much appreciated! I AM SOOOOO excited to try this amazing corner of the motorcycle world!
  2. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    For another $1000 you could get something used but functional in the 2007 range. The technology has come a long way, and a younger machine, even in tougher condition, may be a better learning experience. Lighter, better suspension and controls, and the always important, current dealer network. AZ tends towards Gas Gas, other markets favor other brands. Go to an event, poke around, see what everyone is riding. The more bikes of a make there are, the better the support network. I'm sure some of the East Coasters can point you in the right direction as to events.

Good luck! And welcome to the slow if occasionally terrifying side of motorsports. Trials will make you a hero on anything else with two wheels!
  3. HolyCannoli

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply and advice DerViking. I have been trying to locate a trials club in my area (1.5 hours west of Washington DC) but have has no luck. I have been looking in my area and the only other bike I have seen come up for sale is a 2012 Sherco 2.9 for $4000. Seemed really nice, maybe to nice for me :D. I hear you on the advance in technology but was tempted by the price.
  4. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    If my experience can help, I am a fellow noob to trials, (btw it is soo much fun and thoroughly addicting) I bought a 94 gasgas from a friend. Great bike and good to learn on, but after 2 trials I decided I wanted something a little more modern and moved up to an 04 Beta. One of the guys in the club joked that I had been in the club 2 months and had 2 trials bikes already ( I've go it bad). If you think you will really like it, go for something a little newer, 04 or more recent. Of course you could end up like me, an extra bike in the garage to hook my buddies with :deal
  5. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm talking about! :deal I've got the friend hooking spare bike in the garage too! :evil
  6. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Not always easy to convince the wife to let me barrow her bike but with 3 bikes (my 4RT, wife's Gas Gas 125 pro, daughter's beta 80) I have som options for buddy rides. :rofl

Back on topic. (Just about 9 months into trials now)

I actually picked up the 2008 Gas Gas pro 125 for the wife first, we both loved riding it so much we got mine and our daughters bikes within the next 3 months. I had a chance to ride a buddy's 95 Gas Gas and was glad I went newer, the 95 was good but new was well with it.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. And good luck I am sure you will love it!
  7. dptropepe

dptropepe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're just starting out in trials, don't do as I did. I'm a power hog and wanted a big bore bike. After starting out on an old Beta, I wanted more power. Long story short, after several Adam Raga Specials I bought an '07 Beta 200. That bike and a lot of practice taught me how to ride. It was like cheating! :norton
  8. HolyCannoli

Oddometer:
    Gosh, I really appricate all of the advice guys. I am certainly not a big power guy and would actually prefer a smaller, newer trials bike but money changes everything. A 2009 gas gas txt 250 just popped up for $3700. Would this be too much bike? Is the price out of line? Sorry for all of the questions, this is just a big purchase. :ear
  9. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    The Gas Gas is not too much bike, they can be set up mildly if needed. The Montesa may be a good $1500.00 bike, but don't expect too much from a $1500.00 bike, I recommend planning on spending at least $2500.00.
  10. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless the 09 is like brand new, its a high price. 10's go for around that and less. The 250 is IS a very good bike to start with, so maybe an aggressive offer would take it. If your not too big, a 200 is also very good bike to learn on and very capable in the right hands.
  11. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Your Problem is/will be, and it is hard to tell someone whos not "been there done that"...

Many people start any sport thinking they just want to have fun. But before you know it, they want to get better and compete to find out how they compare with their peers running the similar equipment. so, if you find out you like Trials and want to compete competitively, now you have to go out and buy another bike to compete with. To me that is where the FUN really is, I have posted this everywhere: in somewhere around 69, dad's 5 or 8 buddies all had a 110 Suzukis. they went everywhere all over Colorado exploring (before we knew about trials) and it was FUN because everyone faced the same things with same bike. a year later everyone had different bikes, some had big ol bore engine, and it was not fun, as it was obvious the 250 would outrun others, no need to "test" the theory, yada yada. Same with trials at some points, you show up riding that old bike, against everyone else it is like showing up with Flintston's rock carved bowling ball, against everyone else using the new balls. Sure technique and some that translates, but really, marble against some kind of miracle resin? really?

There are bikes out there, if you get in a hurry you Could spend more than you need to, to find out you should have waited, you know.

Now take this with a grain of salt, I dont know you from Adam, so this is advice to a person that is showing real interest, by asking questions... I would say, buy no older than 1999, if you ask me even newer is better, but 99 gasgas was pretty good for me in 2002. Even then those are getting old. But your situation could dictate differently, so get whatever you think you can afford then, just know there is a reason for new bikes every year, they improve more than just "looks" every year, dad buys a bike every year, since 2010, before that it was every other year. yeah helps he has the $ compared to me.

It is all about the variable "your goal/personality," with some a OLD outdated machine is "fun enough" but I say 7 of 10 that give this a fair shot, will instantly wish they had bought a 06 or newer bike, because now they have money tied up in old thing, they have to sell to get the better thing.
  12. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    you saw the CLUB LIST for North America? http://www.trialsclubs.us/

not sure how up to date it is, I think pretty good, a few of us try to at least email the list owner if we find anything...
  13. HolyCannoli

Oddometer:
    Ya, I was thinking of offering $3k for the 250. I would rather start on a 200 but they seem much more difficult to find. I'm a guy who still loves my 88 hawk GT over a liter sport bike so I get that smaller is better to learn on.
  14. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

Spot on.................being overbiked with a big bore bike which is much more difficult to ride, is something thats very very common. Unless you are a pretty good expert status rider, competing in harder events, the smaller bike will almost always mean much better results.
  15. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921201

I know the original owner of this 08 gg200 - a very nice Sr. Lady who barely rode it. Worse abuse the bike got was when her grandkids came to visit. Bike is in excellent shape. Your right - you dont see alot of these.
  16. HolyCannoli

Oddometer:
    Lazer17, Was looking at this bike. Looks perfect except that it is 18 hours away....
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    That 200 would be great and if it isn't close you can always ship for between 190 to 250 ish from a near bye dealer.
  18. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the 250 is in good shape and you can get it for 3K w/o any added costs, I say go for that, put a slow throttle on it and give it a whirl. If its beat up, I know the 200 was in great shape. Ask for some new photos to be sure and im sure you could finagle shipping with the seller. Crate and ship is about $300 to a forward air terminal. Trailer-ed delivery is around $400.

As much as I like 200's, they can be harder to sell unless you find the right buyer - also a good reason to be aggressive if you do want it. The 09 has the round frame over the 08. Really comes down to condition.
  19. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inyokern - middle of nowhere, center of everything
    Condition - how many splats gone bad!
  20. HolyCannoli

Oddometer:
    Got some more detailed pictures of the 2009 GG 250 txt pro. The seller said he would take $3200 for it but it definitely has some use. He said he purchased it from a local dealer used. Any opinions? I really don't know what would be considered "good" condition as I imagine these bikes get dropped all the time. Thanks again for all the input, it's rough being a noob! :ear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]