BMW S1000RR coming to Bob's...TWICE!

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Daniel@Bob's, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Daniel@Bob's

Daniel@Bob's Daniel@Bob's

Oddometer:
    Yes! The S1000RR will be at Bob’s BMW in in the Motorsport paint theme:

[​IMG]

If you're within riding distance to Jessup, MD, swing on by Wed. Oct 28th – Monday, Nov. 2.

The bike
    will also be here Thursday Nov 12th - Sat Nov 14th. And on the 14th, we’re raffling one off as the grand prize in the Ultimate Bike Raffle 2, a charity fundraiser for the Ride For Kids.
  2. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:
    Looks like most of the sport bikes from that view. Not bad.
    It seems that someone helped scrub in those tires all the way to the sides. :lol3

Ray
  3. YamaLink

YamaLink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't wait til our local dealer gets one....in December. Sigh.
  4. Chiasmus

Chiasmus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been going back and forth on the 1000RR. At first I thought it might just be my next bike. Then I saw one in person and just didn't fall in love. BMW sales guy keeps sending me good articles on it, though, making me think maybe one will be in store eventually.

Four new articles on the S1000R:

From Superbike’s Magazine - http://www.superbike.co.uk/<wbr>news/BMW_S1000RR_first_bike_<wbr>test_report_of_the_new_<wbr>supersport_motorcycle_news_<wbr>291880.html

I'm cautious about telling you just how good the BMW S1000RR is but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I've just got off it here in Portimao and I'm pretty bloody impressed.

One of BMW's biggest intentions with the 1000RR was to attract sportsbike customers to the 'brand' who wouldn't normally give it a second glance. You, me and certainly the Japanese manufacturers need to sit up and take notice because this is a bike to match and in some ways better rivals in the litre sportsbike class.

Much like the Honda CBR1000RR you have to ignore the slightly ugly front end and poor choice of colour (there are better ones in the range) to get to the seriously sorted bike underneath.

Aside from creating a hoo-har about the S1000RR with pre-launch launches and the WSB race team, BMW has spent a lot of time and effort developing and delivering a sorted bike. It wouldn't be the first time I've been on a brand new model launch and found a good bike only to find a slightly more sorted machine appear from the same factory two years later. This is not one of those bikes.

I tested what will be called the 'Sport' model in the UK which comes with all the optional extras fitted for 1,400 quid more than the standard RRP of £11,190 (after Jan 1st).

Traction control is the talking point with four different 'modes' affecting how much power you get at different lean angles, wheel speeds and throttle openings. To be honest I got a bit confused and spent half the day trying to get my head around what it did when and how. These bells and whistles put it on par with the Ducati 1198 rather than its direct competitors in the litre sports bike class in some ways.

The long and the short of it is the S1000RR works and in the right 'mode' to suit you is flattering and rewarding to ride. Just like the 1198's system you can nail the throttle hard and rely on the back wheel to drift but not slide out of corners. It's great fun and very addictive when you get the confidence to do it. It's slightly smoother than the Ducati system though, particularly early in the corner when you first get on the throttle.

There's also an ABS system which traditional BMW prejudice might tell you to expect but don't forget Honda's Fireblade has it too. Actually it's not quite up to scratch performance-wise with Honda's ABS system but, in its favour it is a good deal lighter at 2.5kg.

Generally speaking the best 'feeling' I got from the S1000RR though was its agility. It doesn't seem to carry the weight it should at a claimed 227kg wet which in my view makes it stand apart from the Suzuki GSX-R1000. With the technology and the decent-spec chassis components it's a serious contender.

Is it like any of its rivals? Not really, it stands alone but if anything it feels a little like the ZX-10R to sit on. There was a lot of talk about it being a GSX-R replica in the press and forums but I don't see it much myself and I certainly didn't feel it. While race results might not have come too easily the road bike should pitch right in the thick of the litre bike class. That ain't bad for a first attempt.

As always there's the BMW website for more info or you can re-tune to analogue and buy the February issue of SuperBike Magazine.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/<wbr>MCN/News/newsresults/First-<wbr>rides--tests/2009/November/<wbr>nov1709-2010-bmw-s1000rr--s-<wbr>very-quick/

2010 BMW S1000RR first ride: "It's very, very quick"
    By Trevor Franklin - First rides & tests, 17 November 2009 14:30

BMW’s eagerly-awaited new S1000RR superbike is currently being put through its paces at Portimao in Portugal by MCN’s Chief Road Tester Trevor Franklin.

He’s just finished his second session aboard the bike, this is what he has to say:

“I’m now riding ewith the power mode switch set to ‘Race Mode’ which is suitable for treaded, race tyres and also with the traction control systems and Race ABS system activated.

“The over-riding impression so far is that the S1000RR is very, very quick – in fact it’s probably the quickest of any bike I’ve ridden here, and that includes all the Japanese superbikes, KTM’s RC8R, Ducati’s 1198 and more. At the end of the straight I’m just getting into top gear with the speedo registering well over 270kph.

“Even though we’re still on road suspension settings, albeit with a couple more clicks of rebound on the rear shock, the S1000RR is very, very planted and stable. In fact, the chassis reminds very much of KTM’s RC8R. The traction control system is brilliant, too. More later

http://www.visordown.com/<wbr>motorcycle-news--general-news/<wbr>niall-mackenzies-bmw-s1000rr-<wbr>launch-report/8835.html

Niall Mackenzie's BMW S1000RR launch report

Fresh from two sessions on BMW's new superbike, Niall checks in to give his feedback

Posted: 17 November 2009 by Niall Mackenzie

I've ridden BMW's new superbike, the S1000RR for two sessions here at Portimao, plenty of time to get a feel for the bike and here are my initial impressions.

Just sitting on the new BMW S1000RR makes me think of my long-term R6. I'm five-foot eight/nine and it just fits me really well, everything is really light and compact. It's a pretty amazing piece of packaging, really. Just moving it around on pit lane here at Portmão makes it feels like someone's nicked the engine.

The BMW bloke in the pre-ride press conference encouraged us to do the first session in sixth gear at 2,000rpm as a way of demonstrating how smooth and tractable this engine is. Personally I think it was just a way to ensure that none of us immediately chucked one on its roof in the expansive gravel traps. For the few corners I did try this technique it really did show up the engine's super-tractable, electric motor-like torque delivery and flexibility.

It's really easy to flick from one bank angle to another * handy at this circuit because one corner just flows into another and really high speed direction changes are crucial.

The RR steers beautifully neutrally with pinpoint precision. The bike runs massive (biggest in class) 46mm forks and the feel and feedback from them is mint.

It feels closest to the last R1, not the big-bang one, but the previous model, it's not revvy like a Blade it's not peaky like a ZX-10R, it's smooth in the way it makes it power, like a big turbine, which makes it easy to ride hard.

I stiffened up the front forks in session two to minimise the weight transfer both on and off the brakes and it made a big difference to the turn-in.

I've seen 280kph on the clocks down the straight so far, in 5th. More to come in the next session when I go out with Troy Corser and see what he's got in his locker!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/<wbr>MCN/News/newsresults/First-<wbr>rides--tests/2009/November/<wbr>nov1709-2010-bmw-incredible-<wbr>track-tool/

2010 BMW S1000RR first ride update: “An incredible track tool”
    By Trevor Franklin - First rides & tests, 17 November 2009 17:12

MCN Chief Road tester Trevor Franklin is currently testing the all-new BMW S1000RR superbike in Portimao, Portugal. This is his latest feedback:

“For the final session of the day the bike was put into all-or-nothing ‘Slick’ mode, where the traction control, ABS and throttle response are set for full-on action on slick tyres.

“As it was, the tyres used were Metzeler Racetechs which proved more than up to the job.

“In slick mode the throttle response is so direct you find yourself barrelling into corners considerably faster than you ought to.

"Needless to say, the Sachs front suspension and Brembo calipers always save the day. Then it’s a matter of throwing the bike in and turning the tap on.

“The effect of the traction control is devastating drive. Anybody behind gets a clear view of rubber being smeared onto the circuit.

“Later in the session the rear ride height was adjusted to its max (an extra 10mm) which makes the S1000RR so much more agile into the turns.

"It literally takes your breath away with how much throttle abuse you can get away with.

“And that is the BMW S1000RR: an incredible track tool which bodes well for being one of the best 1000cc superbikes money can buy.
  5. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Chiasmus

Chiasmus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just a guy who received the email from the BMW dealer, which I kind of prefaced in my intro. Just sharing the info he sent to me, which I thought was intriguing. I have nothing to sell unless you're interested in HP functional or load testing software.

You're the one with the url in your signature. Then again, you prob. have 3k posts just trying to spam out your url there, so who's the spam monger now?
  7. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:

Talking about the OP, not you ! :norton