Help-stuck valve adjustment covers

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by farmrjohn, Jan 10, 2013.

1. farmrjohn

farmrjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3 out of 4 valve adjust covers are stuck on my Yamaha TX750. When I rebuilt the top end the engine was out of the bike and I did the initial valve adjustment without the main cover on and did not remove the adjustment covers at that time. Now it's time to check the valve adjustment, and I can only get one cover loose. Any suggestions other than pulling the engine to get the main cover off? The covers are aluminum with a 27mm hex, and the hex is starting to round off on the three that are stuck.[​IMG] The forum won't allow me to post a pic. but here is a link to what the valve cover(s) look like. Thanks. http://tinyurl.com/bekmfje

[​IMG]
  2. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    If they are already rounded, get some new ones from ebay and use vise grips
  3. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd go for that as well, at least they are easy to adjust once you have the covers off.

Pete
  4. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use a socket or wrench, preferably six point. Do not use a open end wrench. A little heat on the area around the caps should cause expansion and they should break free. Silver neverseize on the threads upon reassembly.
  5. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    what wee-twin said!
  6. Claytonroy

Claytonroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, and I'd start with a good dousing of PB Blaster.

A couple of whacks with a plastic faced dead blow hammer might not hurt either.....you could even do this with the socket in place.

:fishie
  7. 1f2frfbf

1f2frfbf full-time fool

Oddometer:
    You could also drill two holes in each cover, but a grade 8 bolt in each hole, then use a long wrench or pipe or something to lever against the bolts and unscrew it. But I'd only do this as a last resort if they're really trashed. Also: be smarter than me and make sure you don't let the lever come loose and hit yourself in the forehead. I got really tired of explaining that bruise.
  8. farmrjohn

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately there is not room to use a socket. A socket/impact wrench would have been my first choice but there is not room with the design of the frame. I was using a box end wrench but as mentioned the hex heads are starting to round off. I'm hesitant to use a torch on the intake covers due to the proximity to the carbs. I'll try the PB Blaster/hammer technique before going to the more destructive methods. Getting the PB Blaster to stay on a mostly vertical face will be a bit of a challenge. It will be a pretty impressive set of vise-grips to grab the hex, and I'm also hesitant to drill a through hole which could leave metal shavings inside the cover while it's attached to the head. At least "spares" are available.
  9. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Buy the correct wrench... a thin six point box wrench (dirt bike axle wrench) made by Motion Pro. I have a LOT of tools, but that had to be added to my arsenal for my TX750. Nothing else would work in there. The stubborn ones came right out (even though they were fairly well bitched up already) with a thump of the plastic faced dead blow in this wrench, no more drama.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-Tools-Combo-Axle-Wrench.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

http://www.bikebandit.com/moose-rider-s-wrench-by-fredette

Some knuckle dragger had tried the above mentioned hex rounding methods before. Here's the center punch method that was ineffective.
    [​IMG]

and some other mouth breather's handi-work:
    [​IMG]
  10. concours

Oddometer:
    Neither will fit or work in this case. Thread seizure isn't the issue, it's flooded with oil back there. It's the design of the plug. They did that since new when overtorqued (most all were)
  11. farmrjohn

Oddometer:
    Would you suggest the Cruz, Moose Racing, or the Motion Pro T-6 http://tinyurl.com/bbj46xx ? I've been using a conventional open end/box end wrench, but a 12 point vs. 6 point, and without tapping.
  12. concours

Oddometer:

I got the Moose wrench. Your conventional box wrench has a bevel on on each side, to guide the box onto the nut faster. Unfortunately, the shallow height of the aluminum caps hex makes that box lead unusable as it only engages a very small amount. I considered grinding flush the box, but it's still a 12 point, no good for the task, and, I didn't want to tear up a Snap-On for this shite :deal

Only problem with the one in your link, it's aluminum, which is an asset when you're carrying it, but a bit weaker than steel.
  13. CalsXS2

CalsXS2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or you could use the correct wrench. I was amazed that I had this wrench in my tool kit. It has an off set in it to clear the fins. I don't see how a flat wrench would work,, unless you removed the gas tank maybe. How are you guy's doing it.

I would take a pic of mine,, but I trashed my camera. Here's one one ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

The reason for me even having my TX750 is because of the tool kit. I went to look at the bike, but the motor was locked up so I passed. But I wanted the tool kit. Offered the guy $20 for it since it was correct for my 72 XS2. He declined my offer. Wanted to keep the tool kit with the bike since other people were coming to look at it.

After a couple of days of rejection's from lookers on the locked up bike, I called him and asked did he want the $20. He said come and get the tool kit. As I was leaving, he asked for an offer for the bike. I said I didn't want it. After a little back and forth,,, I got the bike for $40. :D

OK. Sorry I got side tracked. :freaky

The manual says to use the "Valve adjusting tool found in the Special tool kit". What is this tool.
  14. farmrjohn

Oddometer:
    That correct wrench made the all difference getting the plugs loose. A conventional box end wrench didn't work as it started rounding the corners.

I suspect the special valve adjustment tool is special sized for the TX. I ordered one of the standard valve adjustment sets, and all the sizes were wrong-too small. I wound up using conventional wrenches and holding my mouth just so, but it's difficult to gauge the torque on the lock nut that way (at least for me).
  15. CalsXS2

CalsXS2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What wrench did you end up using.
  16. concours

Oddometer:
    PM'd you
  17. farmrjohn

Oddometer:
    Went with the Cruz, and happy with the decision.
  18. CalsXS2

CalsXS2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good deal.

Did you have any issue's with it hitting the fin's??
  19. farmrjohn

Oddometer:
    No problems at all, there is plenty of room with the valve cover fins, and it only takes a small degree of movement to break the plugs loose.
  20. CoyoteCowboy

CoyoteCowboy Easily Distracted

Oddometer:
    If they're trashed beyond repair, get on them with a GOOD 8" pipe wrench and get em off there! Get new caps off of ebay, or MikesXS.net or wherever and be sure to PUT OIL ON THE O-RINGS! And don't get crazy when you install the new ones, the o-rings will keep them from backing off :D

It's like my dear, departed Dad always told me, "Tight's tight, more than that's stupid." :norton