Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you ride down to Valdez. The hotel has the best bar stools ever...

[​IMG]
  2. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talked to Travis earlier today about the forks I shipped and how I would like them set up. Travis really emphasized the importance of sending in rear shock as well, as from the factory there is very little rebound dampening. Guess I need to tear the rear end down and ship off the rear shock this weekend as well. Any pointers on getting the rear shock free in as little work as possible?
  3. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start at the bottom. Disconnect the do bones then the bottom of the shock. Remove the top bolt, slide it out the left side. Takes 15 minutes or so.
  4. mwgak

mwgak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget about Dust 2 Dawson in June
  5. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Put the bike where you want it to stay for a week or two (It's a pain to move with the shock out). It's nice to be able to raise the bike with a jack so you can put zero weight on the shock. Bolts slip right out.
  6. johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any of you short people want to trade your 18" black rear rim for my 17? I'm running 17/21 right now but want to get as tall as possible because I'm 6'8".
  7. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Bike on stand, remove top chain roller, top shock bolt, bottom shock bolt, and rotate out under battery. 10 Minutes. :clap:clap
  8. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are doing the rear, I would recommend removing and greasing all of the rear linkage points. I had mine apart and they were all really dry. Doesn't add too much time or effort to the job....
  9. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I thought that was amusing, too.
  10. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    Also, since you have your forks out, grease the steering stem bearings.
    I have never seen a Yamaha with more that a light smear of grease on the stem bearings and when I pulled mine apart I wasn't surprised to find the top bearing completely dry and the bottom with a small glob on one spot.
  11. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    They do, its smaller than a MD car tag anyway. :dunno
  12. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    On the grease subject.

Anyone ever think about drilling parts (like swingarm pivot bolt) for a zerk fitting? :ear

[​IMG]
  13. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
  14. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My stock lense had cracked - so mind as well go big (ger)or go home!

[​IMG]
  15. jgino157

jgino157 Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer:
    Who makes it?? Got pics from other angles, or maybe up close to show the mounts??? Looks good......
  16. Longboardr

Longboardr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought about it beforehand but got in a hurry when I tore apart my linkage. I've even got a grease gun with waterproof grease in it that I use on my trailers and atv.
  17. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting for the top pcs/gps/speedo mount - that I did not order at the same time as the light (my mistake).

I believe the mounting is the same a the TT light - but Darryl at cyclops motorsports swaps out the 8" HId and puts in a standard H4 7" which is a direct connection to our harness/H4. I don't have to worry about ballasts or wiring changes. Looks 10X better than stock - and brighter - still streeet legal (have same H4 type high/low bulb) - though I'm going to swap in a 80/100 bulb next week I think.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/
    (I did get an ADV discount also - which helps).

[​IMG]
  18. jimmy2020

jimmy2020 limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer:
    I had to install a relay to get my led turn signals to flash. Install was easy and now they flash, EXCEPT for the right rear.
    I tried a couple of led turn signal lights in the right rear and none of them will flash. When I turn the key on, the right rear lights up and stays lit up regardless off having the turn signal activated or not. Seems as if it is just getting constant power just light the taillight?

Any ideas on how I could have wired this wrong? Seemed like a pretty simple job.
  19. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to put my shock back to stock height. Need to know how far to screw on the shock clevis. Anybody have a pic of the stock clevis from the bottom side or know the factory setting?
  20. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
    so on the fork tubes, the adjusters, is one rebound and one for when the fork compresses?

were is the sag adjustment for the rear? iv never played around with a dirt bikes suspension before. have gotten a lot of the highway speed wobble out of the front end so far by turning both fork tube adjusters all the way on the H. but need to get some more sag in the rear so im not sitting so far back in the seat.

still not sure why this bike does it and all my other dirt bikes iv had on the street iv never noticed the wobble to be a problem at high speeds?