Might get a Ural

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Dracothius, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Dracothius

Dracothius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm thinking I might get a Ural. I'm thinking this because I took my wife on a test ride during bike week and we rode a harley trike. She loved it.:huh She said she felt so stable on it. She wasn't worried at all and was able to completely concentrate on the ride. I was a little shocked. I use to ride three wheelers off road and they were fun. The trike was fun because it was different I guess. I really like being able to go offroad though. I looked around for a two wheel drive, offroad kit or trike bike and had no luck(they all seemed more of a one wheel turning at time thing). I'm not sure I really want a trike anyway. I've known about Ural a long time and always found them interesting. My current bike is a technological mess(aprilia rxv). I would like something a lot less advanced. I've actually read a lot of the threads on here( even the why not to get one thread) and I actually feel more inclined to get one as more people reported no problems then did:deal. It seems like the new ones have no known problems and the company is helpful. The website and its warranty info scared me a little. If I take this bike offroad is the company going to make me pay for parts that break? The part where it said it didnt cover these things( look below).What exactly is "owner abuse"? Is this more a legal thing and they are actually a lot more understanding? I'm also worried because I weigh 275. The bikes can only handle 600 lbs including rider according to website. My dog weighs over 100lbs(her dog weighs 15 lbs). Add my wife and all our gear/stuff I feel like carrying and I'll be close to that upper limit.
    When I ride by myself I like to ride aggressive offroad. If I ride like they do in the Ural military video( I'm assuming every one of you has seen it "jumps and all") am I going to break the bike because I'm heavier then normal guy? It seems like a tuff bike and hard to break. A lot more so then other modern bikes(maybe I'm worng). Those are the things I worry about, that and missing riding a solo bike. I have never actually rode a sidecar bike. I figure I'll start there and if I like them( I liked the trike enough, doubt I dont like sidecars) I'll try and drive a ural.

Lack of required maintenance(not worried)
    Owner abuse (little worried what this means)
    Accident and/or collision (obviously)
    Misuse (again what is this)
    Normal wear (what is normal)
    Neglect (understandable)
    Improper installation (might get help if I install anything)
    Unsuitable use in an application for which the part was not designed (shouldnt be a problem)
    The incorporation or use of unsuitable attachments or parts ( not worried)
    The unauthorized alteration of any part or system ( I'm assuming engine mod here)
    Deterioration from the elements ( so if it rusts through I'm screwed right?)
    Failure to follow running-in (break-in) procedure ( Can someone post this for me, so I know what to expect)
  2. Dracothius

Oddometer:
    So I'm guessing this is a case of TL/DR. Basically wife and I rode a trike and she liked it. I think a sidecar( a Ural to be exact) is the way to go. I like offroading a lot. I'm worried that because I'm 275lbs I will break the bike riding it hard offroad. I also am worried that Ural wil not cover parts if they break when I am offroad. Are either of these valid concerns?
  3. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike breaking? Yes.

Ural not covering a part if it's under warranty? No.

New ones seem to be better and like you said, I'm reading about fewer people having problems. But I don't think your weight would be a contributing factor to anything. Those bikes were designed for military use, hauling around two or three people, machineguns, missile launchers, gear, ammo, etc. If you've watched any of those old videos on Youtube, you'd see that. So you being 275 pounds really wouldn't be a concern.

If you haven't already done so, I'd start doing a LOT of reading on this board, Sovietsteeds.com, and Russianiron.com before dropping the money. I'm not going to go into known issues, limitations, etc. - there are too many threads on this board and other boards to start back in on them here (look at "should I buy a Ural" and other assorted threads that are still on the front page of this forum for starts). Just do a search on here for "Ural" and start reading. Do your research on them, understand their limitations, weak and strong points, and then make your decision either way.
  4. Dracothius

Oddometer:
    I know that they require more maintenance in terms of oil changes and such. From what I understand they are pretty durable though. They also seem to be REALLY easy to fix. I read a reveiw where the guy was newer to hacks and went off the road and hit a tree. He was fine and the guy that was riding with him on another bike was able to fix the ural with some wire ( something like that) and they were able to keep riding. I know the bike is slow. I am more concerned with how durable it is. Especially offroad. I've read most of the stuff on here about them. I need to go check out those other forums. I will also be using it as a commuter when I'm by myself. Really all things aside, I just want to know how much it can handle, abuse wise (mud,dirt,water,jumps), before it breaks compared to a comparable rig. The only bike I can think to compare it to would be a triumph scrambler maybe. Since no one else makes a production sidecar it's kind of hard to compare it to other rigs durability.
  5. dom1104

dom1104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jumps? :eek1
  6. Norms 427

Norms 427 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I would never do this, but, ...
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my 5 years of riding a Ural and following them on the various web boards, I have never herd of a single instance of Ural denying a warranty claim. Almost everybody mods their rigs, and off pavement adventure riding is their intended and advertised use.

IMO, Ural/IMWA has the best warranty and customer support in the motor vehicle industry bar none.

Sidecars and trikes are completely different, trikes are easier to ride, but are more limited in almost every other way. If you are going to ride off pavement, a sidecar is far better.

Neither is anything like a 2 wheeler, it is a whole new set of skills to learn, and you must unlearn your 2 wheeler skills.
  8. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    If the CRAP Ural rally is any indication you just can't overload a Ural. Jed Clampett would've been jealous.
    Offroading - see Mr. Cobb - doubt you can keep up with him though.
    Cruising? Slow but steady. Me - 6k in 7 months, primarily state highways and 2 lane roads, all lesser traveled. Will go anywhere, at it's own pace; no problem since I brought a cooler and chair, besides the dog needed to water the bushes.
    Dependable, fun, slow.
    Did I mention slow?
    Strong user support group. Strong and very vocal non-owner bashers group.

Can-Am Spyder vs. trike - for me Can-Am hands down.

If you can add a Ural to the garage along with a 2 wheeler do it. As an only bike - make sure that's what you want to do. Simple routine maintenance but it is quite regular.
  9. Dracothius

Oddometer:
    Sounding like it might be what I want. I'll have to get a ride in on one. I still have about a month before I buy so I might even get a deal on one. We'll see. Thanks for the info.
  10. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Break in: in a nut shell, keep it under 55 mph during break in and don't ride at one speed for any length of time. "Vary your speeds".
    Rust? Only rust on my 06 and 011 is on the crap Russian chrome trim bits, I also don't live in the rust belt and ride in salty slush. Since you're in FL, if you plan on running saltwater beaches often expect more rust than normal. Break it in correctly, use it within it's design parameters, maintain it. Live happy.
  11. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your not shy with a wrench, and don't expect a new bike to never have issues, I'd say jump in. IMZ does have a great warranty program, and as long as you are not one of those "I need to have it right now" kind of people, they do well.

They are well built (and rebuildable) machines. Pay attention to it, take care of it (mechanically) and it'll keep going. Don't worry about the weight. Many things may break on a Ural, but I wouldn't count on the frame being one of them.

Speed is the thing that I think people really have a hard part with. Everyone says "I like to do offroad", but never talks about the 20-80 miles it may take to get to said offroad place. As long as your comfortable whirring along at 55mph, it'll be fun. If your expecting to blast down the freeway everywhere at 65 or 70mph all the time, look elsewhere.

IMHO, Ural's tend to be great machines to use when time is not a factor.
  12. Thermos

Thermos Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've never seen one jumped in person, but I have pulled a wheelie accidentally.

I'd check a few nuts, bolts, studs after.:grim

-T
  13. vetsurginc

vetsurginc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in S FL and I do see rust spots here and there, hinges, edges of straps, so on. I keep an eye out and maintain a stock of rustoleum flat camo colors :D

Amazing the way they get better as they wear in. I'm at 7200km and loving it. Do oils at 2500km intervals to keep things happy.

Check out Sovietsteeds on the newbie forum. Lots of questions answered and everyone is willing to talk and give advice.
  14. DavePave

DavePave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not trying to push you toward or away from Ural as I don't own one.

FYI - they are running a special this month that gives you a third year of warranty coverage as well as their outstanding 3.99% (4 yr) or 4.99% (5 yr) financing package.

Sounds like a bargain, once you confirm that you do indeed like sidecars.
  15. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    +1

Unfortunately for me time is always a factor... But I can't help but be intrigued. Last weekend my daughter and I visited the Ural dealer in North Dallas.

nlp

[​IMG]
  16. Dracothius

Oddometer:
    I'm really thinking hard about a Ural. I'll see if I can get to the dealer and test ride one. The dealer thats near me(2.5 hours away) seems like they'll let you test ride just about whenever you want. I'll see if I can get a test ride in early December. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  17. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done a lot of research on Urals, and as far as I can tell, if you baby them, same as a Royal Enfield, they hold up fairly well. If you try to ride them like a modern bike they quickly fall apart. I would not recommend riding either off road. For those familiar with Lois Pryce (Lois on the loose) She and her significant other took a long distance trip on a couple of Ural rigs. I haven't read the whole story yet, but apparently involved a lot of off road riding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDc7jVd5jg
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    :poser

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My firsthand "research" in 5 years and 75.000 km of off road, on road, and daily commuting says your full of beans. :lol3
  19. MartyL

MartyL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure your read this on Soviet Steeds but since you live in Central Florida, why not head over to Holopaw Gene's rally on 11/17/12. There you will meet Ural riders and also get to meet Holopaw Gene. He's the man to buy a Ural from. He is a highly regarded dealer and a real nice man. This way you get to see rigs, meet a great dealer, and meet Ural owners. A Win, Win, Win situation. I personally have bought two Urals from Gene. a 2005 Patrol that I sold and turned right around and bought a 2010 Gear Up. If I thought otherwise why would I buy a 2nd. one. Your on the right path by visiting these forums. Here is where you get a good idea of whatever you decide on. Good luck and I hope I meet you at Holopaw Gene's rally this Saturday....
  20. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    "I haven't ever owned or ridden one but let me tell you that they need lots of tinkering with to keep them running." WTF is with people like this? Does anyone here listen to these experts? :huh Maybe I'll go ask about KTMs on a cake baking forum to get some equally good advice.