Project Uni-go

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ownst1100, Jan 30, 2010.

1. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    Project Uni-go

<HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Found me a new, never used, 2001 Uni-go trailer without a box in the classifieds on another site. Was a rare find and I just could'nt pass it up. This trailer will be lite, lean with the bike holding most if not all of my camping gear. I have watched my friend Jim pull his Uni-go as I followed close behind. A joy to watch as it leans and follows the bike through each corner.

[​IMG]

Thought about what I needed for a box. Made a form out of wood. Having square corners will mean more room and be easier to pack. Entire top will open also for easier packing. Top being flat will also allow for a top rack also meaning more room for items like that BIG folding camp chair you've alway's wanted to bring along.

[​IMG]

Skinned it in .050 6061 T-6 aluminum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed all the parts and set aside the wood form. Debured all the parts.

[​IMG]

Clecoed it all back together. Cleco's are on the inside now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I left off last night. Next will be to build all the components for an internal frame system and wheel well.

[​IMG]

The lid/top cover will be made from this piece of aluminum skinned honeycomb pannel i've been storing up in the top of my garage for over 20 years. Its finally got a home.

[​IMG]

Taking my time making sure I get it right. A couple parts each night. I've got plenty of time. Needs to be done for the BIG national BMW rally in July.
  2. lousot

lousot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sweet please post more pic's
  3. papaduc

papaduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a sweet looking project.
    What do you figure the capacity, weight wise, will be after it's all done?
  4. godad

godad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thats an great looking trailer,i just love aluminium,that was a nice mockup wth the wood,welcome to the world of trailering,you can take that now,and that,and that.
  5. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Excellent build so far.

I've been arguing with myself about a single wheeled trailer project for a while.

:lurk
  6. 802mike

802mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bristol, Vermont Gateway to The Green Mtns
    Good thread!
    I'll be watching your progress.
  7. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Nice idea. Make sure you show us your hitch/attachment to the bike and let us know how it handles in a side wind.
  8. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Good work!
  9. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    love a good project thread :lurk

I'm in the market for a brake. What kind are you using to bend your aluminum?

thanks
  10. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some reason, I'm picturing a gas fired four burner stove and oven. :rofl
  11. TheRackman

TheRackman RideTodayItMayBeYourLast!

Oddometer:
    :lurk :slurp:lurk
  12. ownst1100

Oddometer:
    Ok, it does'nt look like much but these 3 parts took me the afternoon to make and get in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fasteners at temperary. The material inside is .125 6061 T-6, 2 layers. These parts are what holds the front of the box to the frame. Outside I added a doubler, .050 6061 T-6, same as the box itself.

[​IMG]

Also got the bottom center (also a mounting point) cut to size ( .063 6061 T-6) and located.

[​IMG]
  13. Drtyfun

Drtyfun Here and There

Oddometer:
    Nice work!
  14. Steve Craun

Steve Craun benridin17yearsmyashurts

Oddometer:
    I think someone has built a kit plane... :D

Kickass build! Keep the pics comming.
  15. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Has the new U.S. owner of unigo sorted out how to safely tow behind a GS? Having seen what can go wrong I'd please ask that you look into that. Last I knew they were refusing to sell to a GS application for safety reasons........ The geometry with the higher suspension seemed to be causing trouble.

If it's been sorted out, excellent! They're rockin little units.
  16. ownst1100

Oddometer:
    As far as I know they are still refusing to sell to GS owners. Talking with a dealer in Texas a month or so ago I was told GS owners were having problems when towing them down dirt roads. The trailer would bottom out when the suspension on the bike would go past the ground clearance of the trailer. This would happen at speed but taking it slow would make all the differance in the world. Well I don't plan on hauling it down dirt roads at speed. The only dirt it might see is if the campgrounds I stay at happens to have no pavement.
  17. ownst1100

Oddometer:
    Hey papaduc,

According to Uni-go's website their trailer weighs 70 lbs., has 5 sq. feet of space, and will carry 110 lbs. of gear totaling 180 lbs.

When sent to me the shipping weight on the chassis was 52 lbs. that included the shipping container/box that had a plywood bottom in it. I've bought 24 lbs. of aluminum sheet and so far have used less than 1/2 of it. Because my trailer is square looking inside im figuring 6-7 square feet of packable space. The top rack will add more. So in the end it should weigh about the same as a Uni-go only hold a little more and be easier to pack.

The plan is to get most of my exsiting camping gear off the bike. The bike will be for cloths, food, and my sleeping bag. For an ice chest im going to convert my R/H jesse bag to an ice chest. Have it shot with foam, Rino lined, and add a drain. Will be plenty of room for food and beverage and removable from the bike, a BIG plus.

Right now when packing for a trip im pretty much out of room when all packed. Looking forword to being able to stop and buy a thing or two and get it on the bike or in the trailer without shifting everything around.
  18. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    what kind of rivets are you going to use? are there rivets already installed on the inner panel of your doubler?
  19. ownst1100

Oddometer:
    All holes are 1/8" using a #30 drill. Most of the rivets will be flush AN426-4's in various lengths depending on the material build up. Some areas will be AN470-4 button/universal head rivets.

The pannel I think your asking about, the forword upper mount has rivets holding the 2 parts together. They are'nt shot up to the box yet. These rivets are AD426-4-6's. They are actually double flush. The side you see is countersunk and the backside has a deep 60° fillet relief or shallow countersink which is shaved flush after being shot up.

[​IMG]

This allows the part to sit flush/flat on the surface of the inside of the box.

:huh DAMN ! ! :huh Did I just say all that right? :D
  20. ownst1100

Oddometer:
    This afternnon I got the bulkhead in front of the wheel and swingarm started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably spent more time looking and figuring what I need to drill and tie in first. At this point it will set the shape of the box and I want it to be square for when its time to locate the top/lid.