Yamaha TW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cabanza, Jul 5, 2006.

1. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disregard.
  2. Razorback Rider

Razorback Rider Dyin' to Ride

Oddometer:
    any of you guys know where i can get a seat for a 98 and a carb intake for my newly acquired TW?
  3. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nicely stated...accurate as well!.
  5. Kankujoe

Kankujoe Adventure Traveller

Oddometer:
    Missouri, west central, south of Kansas City
    +1

Some people get it, some people don't... I like my TW for all of the opposite reasons I like my other bikes...

frog13, thanks for finding & bumping this thread.
  6. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome!...I believe the TW is a severely underrated bike;alot of folks misout on this bike because of negative "press". Folks get to caught up in techno goodies....the TW for me,well,it's just FUN(fun is something people need more of in this age).:D
  7. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the cruising speed with one of these? Can you go an honest 65mph without threat of valves becoming intimate with the piston?

It may be time to finally pick one of these up.
  8. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian....yes, 65mph is doable!,but,it will sound as if the bike is going to blow -up..........it won't though. for more data go to: twforum.com. The tw's best(sounding & mpg) is between 50--55 mph on the road.
  9. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Put a 44 on rear and could cruise at 60-65 as long as it was flat.
    Any grade up, would downshift to 50.
    Just bought another, an 06. Looks new but has a base gasket leak. Going on forums, looks like most of them did.
    Yamaha did nothing but finally made a good gasket in 2010. Really sucks as I do not do that kind of work.

Heirhead
  10. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info guys.

I would not mind cruising at 50 or 55 but I think everyone else will!

I also love to ride long distances. I know this is not the bike for that but that is what I would use it for.

Perfect weather to go explore Death Valley right now.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    NO you cannot go 65mph for any length of time if you want the machine to last a while. 65mph is pushing it big time, it's okay for a little while....like ten minutes. A long trip with a week of this and the bike will be toast.
    55mph is okay, 50 is better. Just depends on how you want to treat your machine..I've killed a few small bikes by abusing them at prolonged high speeds...it's pretty obvious...they just won't take it.
    Changing the sprockets for 'highway use' will make the bike useless on hills, it just doesn't do well on steep long highway hills as it is....you have to change down to third on some mountains around here.
    We have two of these bikes, I speak from experience. They are great bikes if you use them for the intended purpose...and obviously that purpose is not for cruising at 65mph time after time day after day. They are not made for that. You need a different bike for that.
    YES they will do 65mph indicated on the speedo...I've had mine at 72mph! (for about three minutes).
    Where they do excel is ANY terrain and I mean any, it's like a Trials bike, and chugging around at 40 or so is a pleasure. 80mpg!
  12. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can easily do 75 or more just find a cliff. The bike is extreemly unstable at 65-70 kind of scary, I had one for 2 years, not much fun to ride you have to be at WOT all the time. I will cruise at between 45- 55 fine.
  13. eviee1973

eviee1973 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love my 1999 TW, narrow and light, fun to drive, although not if you are in a hurry to get there on the main highways. Will run all day at 90kmh/57mph. Did have it going 110 kmh/68mph once just to see if it could with stock gearing. Did purchase a new Shadow this year, good for highway speeds in comparison, wide and heavy though. Would give up the new Shadow before the TW though.
  14. Bama67

Bama67 Comfort is for cars

Oddometer:
    I love my little TW, so fun, mine will run up to 70, but it is best enjoyed by me at 45, taking it all in. :D

oh, and a year of insurance is $14. lol
  15. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    The little T-Dubs are great bikes but not at 60+ MPH. Just took a trip with Dad on his 2012 and me on my XTZ1200. At highway speeds the bike will eat half of its oil supply in 500 miles or less so think about it before you try it. Range at 60 + is short with reserve coming on at 83 miles. On the plus side the Bridgestones seem like they will last forever. Really they are great at 55 or less and will go anywhere. In town 100 mpg is possible.
  16. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm,are you seeing any oil leaks on that TW?.Haven't had heavy oil consumption on mine.......there again I'm not operating at 65mph hour after hour either....who would,you'd run out of gas before it blew:lol3. Even at 65 mph,the TW engine isn't close to it's designed redline.....I've read that the redline on the TW is between 9,500 & 10,200 rpm's....most stick with the 9,500 number.There is a calculation of FPM (feet per minute) if I remember correctly and the TW operating at 65mph still is not close to redline.Now, it being a 196cc engine and the fact that it "sounds" like it is going to blow up, I still do not hold the bike WOT....just because.The TW200 is a fine adventure bike.
  17. andrewsclues

andrewsclues Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my 89 TW... it cruises along nicely at 45 to 50 if the speedo is to be believed. If you want to go fast and you can only have one bike, find another bike.
  18. RobertAmsterdam

RobertAmsterdam https://www.instagram.com/ktmfreerideexc/

Oddometer:
    hi!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LjGEzRjKVZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

testing exhausts

cheers!

TW-Bastards

and some riding:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S807vvlwRkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lGCYHZds1nU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Honda-line chainlube on my TW chain(OEM).On the last five or so cleanings and relubing,after about 100 miles,I notice a red residue on portions of the chain?. No jokes please(well,you are using Honda chain lube)...yea,I get it...i'm using it because I had several can's left over from my former 650L. Any ideas?.It reminds me of automatic transmisson fluid in appearence?.
  20. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    it might be rust? i know when my oring chains are about done they start to leave a red dust or rust residue. i figure i got about another 1,000 miles before i replace after that. my current chain has about 9,000 miles and it just started to get the red dust.