New Lynx Fairing for the KTM 690 from Britannia Composites

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Ian B, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jgrmstr

jgrmstr n00b

Oddometer:
    I second the stacked light fairing for my new 690!
  2. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I'll third the stack light combo!

And if I could humbly throw in another request...

I'd love to have some way to quickly raise/lower the headlight beam. Just tonight I gave a short ride in the city to a friend and my pretty well adjusted auxiliary lights were all of a sudden 50' up in the trees. To have a quick nob you could reach while sitting on the bike that had a range of adjustment from rider and no luggage to rider+Passenger+luggage would be awesome!

FWIW I wouldn't want a squadron. At this point the Hella Bi Xenon's are far, far superior. JW speakers probably has the best (albeit insanely expensive) LED's out there now. Price to performance ratio vs HID projectors they are not really in the same league - I think the guys that buy them with understanding do so kind of like guys buying Prius' 10 years ago... it was for the sake of supporting developing products.
    All that to say if you make the stacked light fairing I'm hoping we could still use the vastly superior HID projectors and wouldn't HAVE to upgrade to the LED squadron's! :lol3
  3. Lon

Lon The Short

Oddometer:
    Mine came in yesterday.

Here it is installed:

[​IMG]

There was some rotary tool action involved with making the dash touch only at the mounting points (I read that if you don't do this, it will buzz), and it took awhile to align the lights.

The light output is impressive, and an unexpected feature: the current Lynx has a delay relay, so you can start the bike before the HID fires up (which should make the ballast last longer).

The only bug I'm still working out is that the Lexan guard buzzes something fierce on the 690. I'm thinking spacers to keep it from contacting the fairing (and slightly longer screws) will cure that.

Overall, a very impressive product, and I'm happy to have it.
  4. BackCountryCruizer

BackCountryCruizer Gnarled Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After almost 3 years, I finally decided I was tired of the lower mounting of the 1st generation Lynx. After a brief exchange with Ian I ended up with a 2nd gen Lynx and can't be happier! Much better mounting system. Awesome product!!

The wife and I put on our supermoto wheels and went for a 500 mile, 2 day ride this past weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, has anyone fitted one of these to a MY14 690 Enduro? Im wondering what colour to get, especially as I will be running a low adventure fender.

Cheers.
  6. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are many of these fitted to the 14 and white is the most popular colour. However, you might want to hang on for a month for the new Lynx R shown here as a prototype. [​IMG]

More info coming soon

Ian
  7. BajaDave

BajaDave Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    That looks nice Ian!:lurk
  8. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh! Oh! Oh! Me! Me! Me! :clap

Been on the fence on fairings for my new little Beasty. Looks like we have a winner. Definitely want to know more about this new offering!
  9. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, even more choice!!! Doh!

Yes, I was thinking white, like that one, it does suit it :)

Thanks.

PS, are the HIDs you offer legal in the UK on motorcycles? Do you offer alternative lights, I would actually prefer an LED daytime running lamp, and a more normal twin beam H4 pattern for the other lamp. I don't do a lot of night riding, so the daytime lamp is most important. Cheers.
  10. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, having had a time to think, I would like the Lynx on my 690.

Do you have any other options on lights?
    (I dont want HID due to road legality issues in the UK)

I had a look at the Hella website, and noticed that the basic 90mm units also come in a 90mm halogen hi/lo, so would you be able to provide one of these instead of the basic twins, such that I could use one of the Hella 90mm LED Daytime running lights in the other hole?

This works best for me, both for visibility, and to have the both lights "on" look at all times :)

Could be an option for other customers too, possibly even offering the Hella bi-xenon plus drl or even a twin hella bi-xenon as a top of the range on-cost option for twin los and twin highs :D

If not, can you supply the fairing with the fitting kit including light fitting kit but without any light units?

Thanks.
  11. Ian B

Oddometer:
    A few things to consider here. First of all, the Photos above are of the new Lynx R prototype with the stacked headlights and this doesn't use the 90mm Hella lamps. The 'existing' Lynx ( which will continue to be available if anyone wants it ) is available with standard DOT/EU halogens, but I can only say that there are many Lynx's in the UK and nobody appears to have any problems legally with the HID's, so consequently, nobody seems to order the Halogens these days.

As for Bi-Xenon, I wouldn't go near them for two reasons:

1) They do not fulfill either the Hi beam, or low beam role very well.
    2) The 'flapper' mechanism doesn't stand a chance against the 690 vibrations !

There will be a twin Halogen DOT/EU approved option on the new Lynx R and this aimed mainly at the German and Swiss market, where they are very strict on lights. However, this will be available in Left hand drive configuration if required.

Email me at britanniacomposites@shaw.ca if you would like more info.

Cheers Ian
  12. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks for the feedback.
    I do prefer the side by side design!

Shame about the bi halogen, I would have put my trust in Hella, but if you have experience of the specific hella unit, then I will go with that.

Will have a think about things then, but I'm not going HID as rules changed a short while ago here, and while its 3 years before my bike is checked as a new bike, I still don't want an issue in 3 years time. I know a lot of people don't worry or care, but that dosnt make it right :)

Thanks.
  13. gbx2001

gbx2001 Geophiz Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Ian
    Your new 690R Lynx fairing looks great. A couple of questions:
    - will this new setup allow both high beam and low beam on simultaneously?
    - what is the total power draw with this setup?

I'm sure this new fairing model will be a success!

Cheers
  14. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind comments !
    1) Yes, both lights are on when switched to Hi ( as with the current Lynx)
    2) There will be two choices of light spec :
    Standard: 35w HID 60mm projector low beam paired with 30w Baja Designs Sport LED
    Hi output option: 55w HID 60mm projector low with 42w BD Squadron LED

The standard lights kicks out slightly more light than our current twin HID Lynx and is easily enough light for most applications ( including off road at night) and comparisons to the OEM unit are laughable ! This spec leaves loads of power left for other stuff like heated vests etc.

The 'High output' option bangs out 50% more light and is the same lights used on our Voodoo 950/990 fairing. Much light there is ! However, you're pulling nearly 100w on Hi beam and although the bike will easily cope with this, you've definitely reduced the spare electrical capacity available for other stuff and this option will hit you in the pocket for another $150 ish. It's kind of infectious though and you can see this spec in action here :http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970541&page=4

Cheers Ian
  15. Radio1

Radio1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That new lynx fairing... Good move! Looks sharp. When will they be available?
  16. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Glad you like it ! We start shipping them early in October, but there is quite a backlog of pre-orders to get through and it's not up on our website yet.

For further info, just send me an email : britanniacomposites@shaw.ca

Cheers Ian
  17. sigmund freud

sigmund freud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have solved the vibrations of the fearing?
  18. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Yes. Actually, the vibration noise issue was solved on the current Lynx buy reducing the size of the dashboard which occasionally touched the fairing causing the noise. However, the disadvantage with the current Lynx is that the gap left between the fairing and dash also causes 'light bleed' back to the rider at night.

Fortunately, the R has no light bleed from the new headlamps, so the issue does not arise and we have been able to leave ample clearance between the two surfaces. We also took the opportunity to make the R mounting stiffer, so there is very little movement of the fairing on rough ground.

So vibration overall, is now limited to the same as the bike itself and as owners know, the 690 is not the smoothest bike out there !

Cheers Ian
  19. firedevildog

firedevildog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody else's HID light come on then go out when U start the bike doesn't happen every time only every now and then but now I have to make sure my light is on every time i start the bike. :eek1:ear
  20. BackCountryCruizer

BackCountryCruizer Gnarled Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My low beam HID just started doing that exact thing a couple of weeks ago when in Colorado on a 2 week ride. First time it happened I shut off the ignition, turned it back on and waited about 10 seconds, fired the bike and no problem. This occurred several times until it got to the point where now, when I turn on the key, I wait at least 10 seconds before firing the 690 up and it still goes out. My light will not stay on at all. I do have to say that I purchased my Lynx from Ian in Feb. of 2011 and this is the first problem I've had after ~16000+ miles. I have checked my wiring and everything appears to be okay.
    Ian, is this possibly age related? Did I read somewhere back in the thread that you are now using an upgraded ballast? Any suggestions?