2014 Best of Montana 1000

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Timmer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Parodying Garrison Keillor, "It's been a quiet winter on the Montana 1000 Front." But that's about to change.

Wansfel and I have done some preliminary planning (mainly Ron) and we've got a very different route planned for 2014. We'll do a bit more tweaking on the route before we release it, but I'm sure you'll like it.

As for me, since last summer, I've acquired a new to me 2008 dual sport WR250R and am looking forward to riding it on this year's incarnation of the route. My health issues which stopped me from riding in 2013 appear to have cleared up and I'm yearning to ride more of the Best of the Montana back roads on what we call the Best of the Montana 1000. I remain indebted to the original planners of the Montana 1000, which was held in Darby, for introducing me to the wonders of dual sport riding in Montana. I'm just trying to continue the tradition and introduce new ADVRiders to the beauty that is found in Montana.

In terms of timing of the ride, we've not set an exact date, but I'd like to aim for the latter part of July to get around snow issues in the higher elevations. If you have a strong preference as to specific dates (this is planned as a 7 day ride), post them in this thread. If you have any questions about the ride, post them here too and we'll be glad to answer them. And if you need any encouragement to do the ride, check out the following links to prior years' rides:

2013: Best of Montana 1000 Goes Down in Flames: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912458

2012: Watercat's Pics: https://watercat.smugmug.com/Vacation/Moto-tour-dirt/2012-Montana-1000

2011: Chadx from 2011: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709842

Let the dreaming and planning commence!!!

Timmer
  2. Timmer

Oddometer:
    Look to this space for official announcements about the ride.

2014 DATES: Saturday, July 26, 2014 in Troy, MT to Friday, August 1, 2014 near Riggins, ID.

IN:
    01. Wansfel +1 02. Timmer 03. DammitDave 04. BlackBoots 05. PArt 06. SoreButt 07. Olyrider 08. 4r22mny 09. airheadbruce (out 7/10) 10. Kinsman 11. MoonDogMt 12. Wallowa 13. DirtyPatches 14. jonz +1 15. RidingAgin 16. Danodemotoman (out 7/23)17. Oldtimer (out 7/16) 18. moto-treks 19. Roadglide 20. Ladybug0048 (out 7/10) 21. langstang96 22. StoneAgeMan (out 7/10) 23. Clark60 24. Migrant 25. resqdoc 26. arbrlvr +1 28. zzo 29. martinmenace 30. GotItGood 31. Stovebolt (out 7/10) 32. LostAussie 33. 406blues 34 & 35. Idabeemerboy +1 36. ULYBRAD 37. SOOSCREEK (out 7/10) 38. Norton(kel) 39. idahorenegade 40. SuperDup 41. Mikrow 42. LC1 43. UH60A 44.

Planning Thread: http://bom2014.blogspot.com/
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :lurk
  4. RidingAgin

RidingAgin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. I hope not to have a conflict with a previous trip.

Dennis
  5. Squidbrah

Squidbrah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sticking to paved roads or is this going to require me to purchase that dr650 I've been wagging my finger at

edit - from previous photo albums I think that's the case
  6. Timmer

Oddometer:

We only use paved roads as connectors. We totally focus on using non-paved but not single track roads. Our aim is for the route to be big bike friendly. Generally there are opportunities to find more challenging spur routes for those inclined to do so.

The big thing to plan for is fuel capacity for at least 150 miles of range. More if one wants to explore. . .

Timmer

Tim in Burien, WA
  7. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Urals are good for this too. If you setup for detachable bags then you can ditch 'em for the golden sidetrips this route has to offer.
  8. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    So, Road Rash is going to be there?
  9. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nahh,.... He'll just pull another RoadRash card!:rofl
  10. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    End of July sounds good; the sooner details are available the better so I can lay out my Summer...Tim, do you at this point have a starting and ending point? Even a WAG?

Looking forward to this...thanks for putting it together.

Phil
  11. Timmer

Oddometer:
    VERY preliminarily, we're thinking of starting in Troy, ID, heading north, then south and ending down in the Salmon area or a bit west of there. Those who want to tack on the Magruder at the end could add a bit more adventure. Wansfel and I are in contact and we'll provide more details in a bit.
  12. Tourmeister

Tourmeister What's that funny noise?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Ohhh.... I just got back from riding with Ron in Montana back in September. It was a fantastic ride!! The country is absolutely beautiful and the riding was great, especially a few of the little side trips I made with another rider apart from the main group. I don't know that I can make this trip, but it will sure be high on the list of trips to make if I can. :thumb

[​IMG]I finally finished my ride report from the trip last week. I am in the process of posting it up here as I get the chance in between jobs at work.

5th Anual Legends of The Fall Montana Maniacs Ride - 09/08/13
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945674

It is pic intensive...
  13. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott! Had a great time riding with you guys last September. It would be great if some of you could make it up here again this summer. Keep an eye here. Timmer and I have high hopes for this ride although it will be a bit more big bike friendly, I think I could find some side excursions in mid that could keep you occupied. We do concentrate on maximizing the dirt, however.

Keep an eye posted here.

I'm also putting together a report on my July ride...which is looking to be rather large the way its going together already.
  14. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Whew...saw Troy....then saw Idaho [never been up there] and relaxed :wink:....whatever you folks lay out is fine with me...this will be new turf for me and a welcomed introduction to the off-road routes up there...I was not greatly impressed [not at all] with the Magruder but the Salmon area holds many outstanding dirt roads to nowhere...so count me in.. I am good with whatever is planned.

Thanks yet again for putting in all the work to pull this together.

Phil
  15. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Good to see you guys keeping this going.

I would like to make some or all of the ride this year IF Summer doesn't get eaten up like it has the last couple of years.

In any case, I've moved to Dillon from Bozeman (having grown up here many years ago) and am becoming more familiar with the area again. Also, I helped plan the 2011 and 2012 MT 1000 rides. So, if I can be of help, let me know.

Winter sucks.

md
  16. langstang96

langstang96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a ride this summer. Was looking to ride a portion of the TAT from Colorado west, plus a few side rides along the way. I would be very interested in the Montana ride. Is this open to anyone. BTW, I ride a 13 KLR650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. langstang96

langstang96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect timing for a planned ride. Is this ride open to anyone? I ride a 13 KLR650!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Open to all. This is an extension of what started in 2010 as the MT1000. KLR is a great option. This is an informal ride. We don't collect attendees. Be prepared to be self sufficient. It will include as much dirt as we can link together. No single track, mostly big bike friendly. If there are tough sections, there will most likely be reasonable ride-around. We try to establish set camp sites every night to encourage camaraderie. Plan on remote camp sites, possibly primitive. I've noticed a few wimps that hit more substantial lodging on occasion and even caught hot showers. Food! We will be sampling lunches, breakfasts, dinners when and where possible. Part of our heritage, but be prepared to cook out.

The ride usually splits onto logical groups, some pre-planned, some ad-hoc. There should be a group of riders to fit most anyone's style and comfort level. Noobs are welcomed and can pick up a lot of experience. (Maybe a snipe hunt should be considered.) Numbers? We had 15 last year, but it could easily double that number. We will distribute the final GPS tracks/routes in the weeks before the ride. We will be sending more details as the months roll out. 1,000 miles will be the minimum. The routes/tracks will be split into at least two per day to keep them manageable. Getting to the start and getting home from the end will add more to the adventure. We could offer some good routes getting to and from if you ask.

Now if we could only recruit a hack to haul the beer and garbage...
  19. Timmer

Oddometer:
    Ron, that's an excellent summary. All ADVRIDER's welcome! Be sure you can travel at least 130-150 between fuel stops

Tim in Burien, WA
  20. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    What are these "fuel stops" you speak of? MY GSA knows not... :D