Around Lake Superior on a Honda 50

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bud Tugly, Apr 5, 2010.

1. PinkSteel

PinkSteel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. DRAGON1

DRAGON1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing.
    envious :clap
  3. Hennepinboy

Hennepinboy Adventure Eater

Oddometer:
    What a wonderful ride report.

Larry on his Sears Alstate Twingle and I on a Suzuki 350 rode the same route in '71. Very little money, cheap gear, and a cast iron frying pan tied with rope to the side of my bike. We had the time of our lifes.

Like you I lost touch with my freind when I went in the service and he fell off the face of the earth. I miss Larry.
  4. Canyonrunner

Canyonrunner The Lone Stranger

Oddometer:
    Great report. Brings back fond memories of my Honda 50 Super Sport (C110) just like yours, only blue. I was 14 when I bought my 1965 model, brand new. I had worked all summer on my Uncle's farm to earn enough money but even then, after giving me $25 for my trade in (a 1955 Cushman Eagle) I was still $20 short. My dad kicked in $20 for a total out-the-door price of $220 brand new. You are right, 45 mph was about the top speed, but if I laid down flat with my feet out behind I hit 65 a couple of times following a friends car. I went on a ride with some older guys one day and we did about 100 miles with them doing 50 to 60 all the way and me wrapping it out as far as it would go the whole time. That little engine would run forever. Lots of stories, to many to go into here. You are right about 25 cent gas fillups. My parents gave me a gas credit card for Christmas and the service station attendents would always be annoyed about running a credit card for less than 50 cents.

Ah, great memories. Thank you.
  5. mac66

mac66 Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice story. I spent some time in northern lower michigan back in those days riding around on a small Trail 90. Never did a big adventure ride like that but we did head out and camp in the boonies for a couple days at a time. Heck, we were dual sporting before it was even invented.

Thanks for the memories.

BTW, those rides back then had such an impact that I own 3 CT90s and still ride them up there.
  6. bassguitar

bassguitar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great story man.

I bet I know the daughter of the people that ran that Chinese Restaurant in Thunder Bay! Apparently it was the only Chinese place in town for decades.
  7. wanderboy

wanderboy I just wanna ride,ride

Oddometer:
    Looks like my 65 sport that I traded in for my NEW '68 Scrambler 90. My brother also bought one. Dad financed both, which we had to pay back, $425 each. My brother and I went to the Dragon, before it was the Dragon,from Marietta. No cellphones and maybe $20 between us. Our best friend also had a Suzuki 80 Bearcat ! Wonderful memories. Unfortunately my brother passed 4 years ago at age 52. Too young... :freaky
  8. Whiskytoast

Whiskytoast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice rr. You should post Doug's info maybe we can find him. I bet he'd like to read this.
    xcsks likes this.
  9. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    Awesome story, and yeah, we should definitely find Doug!

10. Ultra54

Ultra54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Here's my first bike. It went through 3 other siblings before me and I beat the hell out of it. It never let me down once and it traveled every at full throttle 90% of its life.
    Your story is worthy of a movie script.
  11. westerlywinds

westerlywinds Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer:
    Hi I just ran accross your report kind of late the first bike I rode was that Honda in black. we also did a lot of off road on a Vespa remember two wheels ride it.
  12. donny662

donny662 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump for a great report :clap
  13. woodshed

woodshed coaster

Oddometer:
    I had the same bike. It hauled me around throughout high school. Never had trouble with it. I modified mine, by adding a bigger sprocket on the back, which knocked off about 10 mph, but since I almost always rode in town, 35 mph was great. the other nice thing is that I had enough punch to do a wheelie (short ones). I'm always surprised that the clutch lasted. I sold it to my English teacher when I graduated...:rofl
  14. chazz

chazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent thanks:clap
  15. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found this old thread and must give a big thank you! It was a great story and reminds me that we really don't need all the extras. Sometimes I think about the simpler times back when we were younger and things were different...FANTASTIC!
  16. HelloPitty

HelloPitty Motorbike Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Here it is 2015 and I found your ride report and hung on every word!
    You and those cliff-hangers and foreshadowing...LOVED it! :clap
  17. Wreckman

Wreckman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR. I started on a Hodaka 125 at age 16. I always said that my first car was a bike. Rode that thing everywhere. I am now 55 and still going strong.
  18. Uke

Uke visualist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The truist spirit of ADVrider!!!!

Young and dumb and just enough good karma for a happy ending.

Ahh, to be young again, but life just isn't that way. Got to push onward with a better sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and a few (well more than a few) HP.

Several years down the road, thanks yet again for a great read, a great adventure.
  19. insomnia

insomnia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a great read the best in years for me and a real inspiration . that's it I am going to go tramping on the bike for a day or 2 myself now this year I might not be alive to do it next year . who can tell ? wild camping somewhere very cool a little camp fire and a tin of beans I have the bike a tent and sleeping bag I can borrow a little pot from the kitchen a plastic mug and plate all I need is a little money for fuel and food .

I had a Honda 50 step through myself when I was 16 in 1986 . I didn't get to ride it for long but I managed to lock up the engine twice . happy memories my friend had a Suzuki gs 125 while running my 50 in after the first top end rebuild I was going very slow for a bit of fun he used to come flying past me sat on the pillion like the invisible man was riding it .

did you ever meet up with Doug ? maybe we need a thread to get old riding buddies back in touch . I know I lost touch with some great friends myself some of the best I ever had but I didn't know it way back when .
  20. branchkin

branchkin Been here awhile

Oddometer: