M72dx

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by Sparrowhawkdesign, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Sparrowhawkdesign

Sparrowhawkdesign Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are now taking orders for our new M72DX. More trunk capacity, seat width and leg room. We are also will have a Bimini top for this model to keep the sun off during those hot desert rides.

The picture is of the plug off of which the mold was made so there is no bulkhead shown in the picture.
    Barry

UPDATE * I've talked the boss into doing a New Model Introductory Special for the M72DX. This will be for the BMW 1100GS, 1150GS, 1200GS and the 800GS models. Details will be on our web site soon or call for details.

Attached Files:

2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    hmmmmmmm
    i might know something about this..... :D
  3. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Hey Barry. Do general managers manage generals?
    Nice sidecar by the way:D
  4. Sparrowhawkdesign

Oddometer:
    Claude

That was the title I got instead of a raise.:rofl B
  5. brockoli

brockoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Barry :)

-Brock Smith
  6. Sparrowhawkdesign

Oddometer:
    Hey Brock. Awesome to see what you're doing these days. Too cool! Shoot me your email. We need you at Midway in July.:evil
    B
  7. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Hello Barry :wave

Will this work as a retrofit to the M72D that some of us already have? Or will it mean a new frame? :ear
  8. Sparrowhawkdesign

Oddometer:
    Hi

Sorry but this won't fit the other model frame. It's about four inches wider. We are now mounting the bodies to the frames with isolators to eliminate the motor buzz from annoying passengers so the frames are a little different.

Nothing stays the same very long. We continually try to upgrade our designs and are continually on the hunt for improved parts that we buy from outside suppliers. Too many ideas and not enough time.

Hope you get some good riding in this year. If you are looking for a great ride you could come on up to BC for the Bigfoot Sidecar Rendezvous in July. Might get you the long distance award. :D
  9. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Well, I am happy with the size of my rig as I do almost all my rides alone, so no need for any extra weight for me. If it's bigger I would just try to find more things to take. :lol3

I look forward to getting the hard top soon. I'll make sure to post pics of it when I get it on.

Thank you for your prompt response. :thumb
  10. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the frame of the DX wider than the standard D model?

What is the overal width of a 1200GS w/ your M72DX?
    Handle bar end of clutch side to outside of sidecar? width
    & o/s GS wheels to o/s side car wheels?
  11. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    hmmmmm
    no answer, yet?
    i'd like to hear, too
  12. Sparrowhawkdesign

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay. Real busy the last couple days and no time to check posts. Best excuse I have.:D

The M72DX is four inches wider than the M72D or C. The bodies of both are now mounted on isolators to help keep any motor buzz away from the sidecar passenger. I made an adjustment to the bulkhead angle in the M72D and C to better utilize the wasted space behind the seat. It also gives an extra 720 cu in of trunk space to the sidecar. It really makes a difference to the actual trunk floor dimensions. Of course this is incorporated into the new M72DX as well so the trunk space there is awesome. I've also made the back of the seat more easily removable for access to the wiring main junction strip.

I really don't know exactly what the overall width will be on the 1200GS yet. I thought I had that dimension with the M72D written down somewhere but can't put my finger on it at the moment. One of the reasons we use the A-arm mounting system with the BMW GS's is to allow us to pull the sidecar in as close as possible with none of the usual boss/clamp parts hanging down. If you allow about an inch or two from the outside of your right saddle bag and add about 36 inches for the sidecar you can figure it out.
    Barry
  13. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Barry....
    why only an INCH OR TWO?
    the point: doesn't the use of the ELECTRONIC TILT ADJUSTER cause the sidecar to get "closer" to the right-hand case?

just wondering
  14. Sparrowhawkdesign

Oddometer:
    The distance between the motorcycle and the sidecar does not change. The adjuster moves what would be the top mounting bolt on a standard swingarm/shock like on the rear of a motorcycle. The tilt moves the top mounting bolt up or down. That raises or lowers the sidecar and in turn leans the motorcycle. Barry
  15. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    thanks, barry
    for that explanation
    i really appreciate it
  16. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Barry, I always wanted to understand the lean & what really was moving, but never heard it explained in such a simple form.
  17. Sparrowhawkdesign

Oddometer:
    Before the introduction of the electric TILT system that Pete Smith designed when we started Champion Sidecars, the only option was to stop and adjust the length of the upper struts to eliminate the pull/push of the sidecar going down the road when conditions changed. (Load, crosswinds,road crown etc.)
    As anyone that has gotten into sidecars can attest to, getting the rig set up correctly the first time can be an adventure. Because of this a lot of sidecars ended up sitting at the back of the garage and declared unrideable. The new TILT system helped make some of those first time situations acceptable at the touch of a button. The first time user was more likely to keep it on the road until they figured it out. I think that one improvement alone really helped the growth of sidecars.

I have to admit that although I have driven a lot of different rigs all over the country for years and enjoyed the instant adjustability of the TILT system, I have never had one on my personal rigs. In my case unless I'm heading out on a long trip the weight of my sidecar does not change much. The installation of some type of trail reduction lightens the steering enough that I am not bothered by the push/pull effect. My current old Guzzi rig has a Leading Link that I built. It gave me a chance to experiment with a couple different ideas and I think I'm finally happy with it now. I might still make some changes just to improve how it looks to me. It never ends! :rofl
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I could never figure out up and down while on the move. If the wheel is pushed down and the car is pushed up, is that down or up? And which do I want when? See what I mean? My feeble brain is just too preoccupied when I'm riding to solve these brain teasers. So I abolished those thoughts from my mind. Instead, I now have the switch for my tilt adjuster mounted in such a way that if I push it to the right my motorcycle leans right, and if I push it to the left, it leans left. No thinking required.

BTW, I really like my tilt adjuster thingy.
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Isolators? ISOLATORS? Jay finally caved in on isolaters? Does MikePa know this?

But, serious question here, what are these isolators and can they be retro fitted to an existing M72D like mine?
  20. Sparrowhawkdesign

Oddometer:
    I bet MP would be chuckling about this one. Actually the problem was we didn't understand what he was trying to tell us. He said that his wife preferred the ride with them on the Ural and we took it to mean she thought it rode softer. Anybody that has seen the ones on the Ural knows they don't actually move hardly at all and only with a very heavy load. What Abenteuerfahrer brought to my attention one day was that they were stopping the motor vibration from reaching the sidecar body. DUH!

I finally found some isolators that were robust enough and designed so that even if the rubber was to somehow fail during use, they couldn't come completely apart. They are now on our M72's. I'm not sure about fitting them to earlier models as the floor construction has been changed to give more strength for this upgrade. Actually it was probably ok before but I didn't want any issues with the floor flexing.

Barry