Buffalo River // Arkansas

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by kevrider, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can anyone make some recommendations for paddling and camping in the National Park? i'm game for sleeping in my tent, though if i stay longer than 2 nights, i'd need to spring for one of those cheap, rustic cabins.

if you were to canoe a portion of the river, which section would you choose? i'll be there with my cousin, we are not experts, just want a mellow cruise down the river and maybe to stop on some sandy spot to eat and relax for a minute. do you have a favorite outfitter that can ferry us back to the bikes?

another question... are there any good moto-friendly camping options, with a minimum of RV noise, in the vicinity of Mt Magazine and/or the Talimena Hwy? my default solution is the nearest state park, but we'll surely end up next to a winnebago that way.

the timeframe is late April. it's either the AR or WV, but i only have 4-5 days. the thought of spending a couple of days blasting back and forth across TN is not appealing and neither of us has ever been to Buffalo River. i've ridden in the Ozarks a couple of times, but never loitered and explored, so i'm pondering that option. any info about the Nat'l Park (or whatever else) is appreciated....
  2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    Are you looking for a 2 or 3 day float or a single day float? Do you want to spend a day onthe river and a few days exploring on the bike? WHat are you looking for..just trying to narrow it down a little bit..
  3. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    The CMA is located in Mena Ark. and has an excellent campground.
  4. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mena's not on the Buffalo.
    We're going to need some rain in any case.
    There are some other nice floats in AR. Caddo and Big Piney are my favorites.
  5. kevrider

Oddometer:
    sorry gents, let me clarify. we'll ride to Buffalo River and stay there for a couple or three days, canoeing on one of those days. the other days may be spent hiking, caving and/or on the bikes.

then ride on west to go to Mt Magazine and ride Talimena, not necessarily in that order. i've sampled the Talimena once, but i want to ride the whole thing this time. i reckon an hour or so end-to-end, plus photo ops? hopefully there's an interesting way to loop back to Ark without retracing, but we can improv based on daylight.

riding with my cousin, who has never ridden west of the Mississippi, so it's all good to him. last night, we'll make our way to Pine Bluff to visit relatives, then we're done. so, that's the trip i have in mind. five days, most likely.
  6. kevrider

Oddometer:
    you don't think it'll be good by mid/late april?
  7. kevrider

Oddometer:
    got it, thanks!
  8. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    For a one day float, I suggest you float the Tyler Bend to Gilbert..abt 6 or 7 miles (5 or 6 hrs)..I think there is a river outfitter in Gilbert..park your bikes there, rent the canoes, and they will ferry you to Tylers bend..do the float, then eat afterwards..then camp, next day get up and go ride.

This area is on hwy 65 north of Marshal abt 10 miles or so..or south of harrison abt 25-35 miles or so..easy to find on a map
  9. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    If you go to Gilbert, be sure to go eat at my Sister's and Niece's cafe. It is right next to the canoe place. Outstanding Arkansas home cooking.
  10. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on Gilbert and the outfitter there. Easy parking, nice owners and options for length of trip. Take some rooster tail fishing lures with you, lots of great smallmouth there on the early part of the trip. Fishing seems to slow for me the closer I get back to Gilbert.

I'd recommend an overnight on the river...you wont want to get off if the fishing is good and there are plenty of places to explore and camp.

Also if you liked smoked meats, stop at Coursey's, you'll see the signs on your way. Delicious bacon!
  11. kevrider

Oddometer:
    good stuff, thanks guys.
  12. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    I have never stopped at Coursey's. I have been by there many times and have seen the signs. My sister's place in Gilbert, also has very good smoked meat.
  13. devrodirt

devrodirt devro

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE=kevrider;14974370]if you were to canoe a portion of the river, which section would you choose? i'll be there with my cousin, we are not experts, just want a mellow cruise down the river and maybe to stop on some sandy spot to eat and relax for a minute. do you have a favorite outfitter that can ferry us back to the bikes? QUOTE]

In April you many not get a "mellow cruise". Check on river conditions before you go. Also watch for BIG OL thunderstorms, not just in your imediate area but in the drainage up stream. I've camped and not got a single drop of rain, but heard thunder, and then been flooded out about daylight.
    Any of the outfitters can clue you in to river stages/conditions.

If the river is good you will have a GREAT time.