The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:

The ^^^^ means to reference the post above mine. Little arrows.

I have a Chinese 50cc scoot that was buried in a friends basement and not running. He gave it to me and I had it running in a little over an hour. Since I moved into the hills it only gets used by my sons to drive around the property.

My other scoot is a Honda Reflex 250. Same story basically. Wasn't running but only had 2k miles so I offered $1k for it and loaded it in the truck. Carb clean and new battery and voila! Enough power for the hills around here and a nice change of pace from my motorcycle.

Cheers.
  2. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    This Red, - sorry for the delay in replying but ADVrider seems to have stopped coming into my mail, so I did not get P167 on, clicked an older one and caught up again.... Worrying!
    IMHO a condenser could be fitted to an ac coil output, the aim of the condenser is to absorb the surge at the start of the current flow thus protecting the points from arcing.

Not all coils are the same, some have lower impedance than others and is the reason to always fit the OEM part designed for a particular engine, coils having a lower impedance (ohms measurement) will get hotter in use which could and sometimes does cause an electrical breakdown - until the coil cools down again when it will seem to perform correctly; the sure way out of the problem is to fit OEM replacement parts.

I never could play music let alone read it - if I strummed a guitar it would sound like a dog with bellyache!

Yesterday I went 'prospecting' to see what I might get for my bikes as a px towards a Suzuki 400 Bergman, the answer was Nowt! They're too old...
    Except for the Sunbeam which the dealer said he would have like a shot - because their values at the moment keep rising, I recon that IF I had offered the 'beam I would have had change from the asking price of the 2009 Bergman at £3259, but the Sunbeam is not for sale! Anyway I was offered a test ride that I gladly accepted, Wow! What a bike - why it's termed a Scooter I can't fathom, with its 400cc and FI it goes like s..t of a shovel and is too easy to get above the 30 mph speed limit in towns and I felt it was harder to keep below that speed than on my Helix - natural as the Helix is only 248cc, but the ride was very enjoyable nonetheless. Roll-On the day.

I DID go to the Bike Night on Friday, this time on the dear old SUNBEAM, with all my mods made last year and with a new saddle fitted last week it rode without missing a beat plodding along at 50 - 55 in the egg frying heat, started 2nd press (not kick) on the pedal hot or cold, simply wonderful... But boy, did my back hurt when I got home after the 60 mile ride! The last job to do on the 'Beam is to replace both wheels and spokes with Stainless Steel jobs, just a mite expensive at £860+ so it still has to wait until later.
    Great photo of you and the guitar!
  3. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Red, - sorry for the delay in replying but ADVrider seems to have stopped coming into my mail, so I did not get P167 on, clicked an older one and caught up again.... Worrying!
    IMHO a condenser could be fitted to an ac coil output, the aim of the condenser is to absorb the surge at the start of the current flow thus protecting the points from arcing.

Not all coils are the same, some have lower impedance than others and is the reason to always fit the OEM part designed for a particular engine, coils having a lower impedance (ohms measurement) will get hotter in use which could and sometimes does cause an electrical breakdown - until the coil cools down again when it will seem to perform correctly; the sure way out of the problem is to fit OEM replacement parts.

I never could play music let alone read it - if I strummed a guitar it would sound like a dog with bellyache!

Yesterday I went 'prospecting' to see what I might get for my bikes as a px towards a Suzuki 400 Bergman, the answer was Nowt! They're too old...
    Except for the Sunbeam which the dealer said he would have like a shot - because their values at the moment keep rising, I recon that IF I had offered the 'beam I would have had change from the asking price of the 2009 Bergman at £3259, but the Sunbeam is not for sale! Anyway I was offered a test ride that I gladly accepted, Wow! What a bike - why it's termed a Scooter I can't fathom, with its 400cc and FI it goes like s..t of a shovel and is too easy to get above the 30 mph speed limit in towns and I felt it was harder to keep below that speed than on my Helix - natural as the Helix is only 248cc, but the ride was very enjoyable nonetheless. Roll-On the day.

I DID go to the Bike Night on Friday, this time on the dear old SUNBEAM, with all my mods made last year and with a new saddle fitted last week it rode without missing a beat plodding along at 50 - 55 in the egg frying heat, started 2nd press (not kick) on the pedal hot or cold, simply wonderful... But boy, did my back hurt when I got home after the 60 mile ride! The last job to do on the 'Beam is to replace both wheels and spokes with Stainless Steel jobs, just a mite expensive at £860+ so it still has to wait until later.
    Great photo of you and the guitar!

Jim
  4. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Bleemus ~

Thanks for the little arrows explanation, there is so much I need to learn about electronic communicato.

Great you got your bikes/scoots running maybe you could give me some pointers if I run into trouble with with Trail...I think she might be possessed! :kboom:kboom

~ Red
  5. Goofaroo

Goofaroo The Piddler

Oddometer:
  6. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hey Goof,

I think we are on the same wave length; Aeros, Kawasakis, Neil Young- I intentionally didn't mention Miss you know who, I woke up with a huge broken down bike hang over this morning.

I found the British Ukulele music soothing- If you shut your eyes it almost sounds like Japanese music, strange.

I have to just clean one more room then down to the garage to get the carb I'm expecting super dirty.

I just hope I can get her running, I'm not going to even try and kick her, I do not want to do any damage till I get her new muffler installed- I'm hoping its just a clog issue...gas lines, carb and a back air pressure from the muffler.

I will report back tonight.
    ~ Red

PS- Neil lives up the coast from Santa Cruz in a little town near Pescadero

A lady I met recently said he helps out in a lot of local town benefits, I asked her "What is he like?"...she replied... "Just an old hippie", I kind of replied.."Huh?"...she said they only let him work parking the cars in the field.

It was a little sad for me to hear.
  7. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Squar ~

Jim-Thank you for posting about the coil and condenser that is a lot of valuable information, I have to really digest everything.This info can help a lot of people besides me get clarity.
    Sadly for Trail there is no OEM coil with the condenser available...any one buy one recently?

The Sunbeam what a beauty!- you are really lucky to have that bike.
    Have to get back to work!

Thanks again!
    ~ Red
  8. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
  9. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Unlike the coil, a condenser does not have to be paired, most any condenser designed for auto use is suitable.

Jim
  10. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    I guess the Sunbeam is a bit like old Royal Enfields and the newer non-unit construction made Indian Enfields, in that the top speed is about 55~60 mph.

Must be the long stroke these vintage British thumpers come with.

I've often wondered about a thumper made with similar bore and stroke to the engine in our '95 Volvo turbo wagon, which is an undersquare mill in an inline-5 configuration with 2.3 liter displacement. If it would be happier at high revs, as it has massive torque starting to build at 2300 rpm. It redlines at only 6K, but then it's also DOHC, 20 valves, and bucket over shim with hydraulic 'lifters'. There's a lot of inherent engine height added to this block by the cams and valves, I don't see this working in an air-cooled arrangement.
  11. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hey, KansasKawboy ~ Welcome to the Thread! I enjoyed that Andy McKee- I think we are related.

Except, he can really play his guitar and bend his fingers in unnatural ways. I liked when he played percussion and tapped his strings- he is definitely one with his guitar. I wonder if he rides motorcycles?

And what are you riding, and is that a large pooch in the side car?

Fun,

~ Red
  12. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Jim ~

Great to know any condenser will satisfy the coil- I was so furious with my DC car coil that I threw it away and her friend the condenser- condensers are pretty cheap I think around US9.00.

I wish I didn't throw out my broken OEM carb- that was probably one of the most short sighted things I've done so far. I should of at least kept the jets.

This afternoon I cleaned Trails carb; it was a little rusty, But shes already to go, I will put the inline fuel filters on both sides; reserve and the regular line I will also put in a new spark plug, loosen the valves when cold...set the mixture screw on the carb when hot.

I can't wait till I can get the new muffler seated...fingers crossed I hope this works!

When you went to Bike Night did more people sign up for the Rally?

Keep me posted!

~ Red
  13. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    So, I keep thinking that your carburetor is too rich. When it stalled out was the choke fully off (open)? Is it a manual choke that you pull? Is the cable adjusted right so when the knob is in the choke plate is wide open? Not almost wide open, fully wide open? If it's a lever, is it all the way open? Is the main jet the right size? It should be whatever the service manual says, not bigger. I think it's a 70 or 72. Is the size stamped on the jet in your carb? People often put in a bigger jet when they toss the air cleaner, and it can make the bike run like crap.

I'm assuming the throttle cable is set so you have a decent, reasonably smooth idle, not real fast.

If there's a big blue spark when you crank it over, that's good enough, and the coil or the condenser is unlikely to be the issue.

Everything screams too rich.

And, if you want to cry with frustration about something other than the bike, listen to Leo Kottke. No vocals, but a guitar that will break your heart.
  14. Goofaroo

Goofaroo The Piddler

Oddometer:
    If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend setting up a Leo Kottke station on Pandora. It has exposed me to a lot guitarists I'd never heard of.

I also have a Robert Johnson station and a Duane Allman station to satisfy my blues requirements.
  15. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Wow, Yama...I will let Jerry and Squar talk to you I think I just saw a drone fly over my head...(hee-hee)

While we are on the subject where is Mr.Jerry?

Let me see if I can track him down for ya.

~ Red
  16. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Nah, just thinking out loud, sort of Bikes of the Imagination.<sup>TM</sup>

Most dual sport bike engines are square or over-square ( short piston travel compared to bore diameter, not sure why there's no long stroke dual-sport bike engines, maybe because the height would be excessive with modern shim and bucket valves and double overhead camshafts.

The 850 turbo Volvo's are long stroke motors, kinda like a Mopar slant six but with 4 valves per cylinder and 13 pounds turbo boost. If you can keep your foot out of it, ( it's hard not to, turbo wagons are fun..) it's a very tractable engine, really easy driving.

Yeah, :lol3 did I just completely talk shop way over your head here?

It's a guy thing.
  17. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Wentwest ~

Perfect timing...I just cleaned Trails carb this afternoon, I wrote down the number on the main jet- this is what they gave me with my new carb: The number of the main jet is 78 and specs call for a 72.

I have not used the choke at all to start Trail, she starts cold on first kick...or at least she did until the other day. The choke is a lever a butterfly valve attached to the carb, The butterfly valve is always open...what I'm thinking is with the muffler with no gasket on the exhaust port I have a suspected air leak, and there also might be some oil coming out of the gasket where the points are, it is very slight but it is there.

The plug is wet and black so yes to rich!
    Today when I cleaned the carb I realized I was 3 turns out on the mixture screw...so do I get a different jet and will it work with this carb?

Yes, when Trail died at the intersection and was pushed home when I kicked her to death and all I could do is make her backfire when kicking her...I knew something was really wrong.

So when I got her back to the garage I pulled the spark plug and grounded it on the engine, shut the garage door, kicked her and it was a big blue spark!- which was great on that end she is getting current- so it is not the coil, although if the coil gets heated up...I could have a problem I just do not know...I have to be careful here to be systematical.

My plan is to get the muffler on, re-set the mixture screw once I actually get her going and the idle screw.

So basically she died like she ran out of gas as I chugged down to first after she was running strong at 30mph...It was so odd.

Leo Kottke ~ awesome one of the first LP's I bought when I was in 10th grade! The black & white armadillo one? (6 and 12 strings) - loved it!

~ Red
  18. Goofaroo

Goofaroo The Piddler

Oddometer:
    I bought that same album (6 and 12 String Guitar) in either my sophomore or junior year. We are living parallel lives.

I was adopted as an infant. Maybe you are my sister.
  19. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Hi Yama, the Sunbeam engine is over-square having a bore of 2-3/4" & stroke of 2-1/2" and compression ratio of 6.5 to 7.2 according to pistons fitted, it's an inline single overhead cam twin developing 25hp @ 5,800 rpm which would give a top speed (when new) of around 80 mph, it has a wet sump oil system and of course a breather set into the camshaft cover, pushing the rpm near max kind of encourages oil leaks from over pressure so speeds are best kept around 50 - 55 to minimise the problem although a modified aftermarket modification is available. Having a worm and wheel final drive the top gear ratio is 5.3 through its shaft drive which in 1946 was quite modern - almost cutting edge (influences being taken from BMW).
    When first released the bike was claimed as unique through its having 'car type' inline transmission through a shaft final drive and car type clutch.

Of course bikes such as these are increasing in value and represent a better investment than money in the bank.
    So far as spares are concerned most are readily available from Stewart Engineering Ltd who bought most of the original manufacturer's tooling at end of production in 1957. With the advent of the web an extremely good and valuable source of maintenance information between enthusiasts is available through the Sunbeam Owners Fellowship at www.onthebeam.co.uk.

Jim
  20. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
    Andy grew up in Topeka, KS and had a deal with a record company and in the early days of You tube one of his song (Drfting) was on the front page and all hell broke loose for him.

I rid e a larger version of what you are looking for, a KLR650.
    [​IMG]

That is a cow in the sidecar, I thought it fit with my user name. I do have a sidecar that will be on the KLR if I ever finish all the home projects.