A Redneck Travels West

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by sandman_78, Jun 27, 2010.

1. sandman_78

sandman_78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, this is my first ride report, so try not to judge too harshly. I've actually debated much about whether or not to do this. I'm not really into the social networking thing (facebook, twitter, etc). Just never had the urge to upload or text every aspect of my life. Nor have I felt the need to know about every detail in the lives of others. But like most rules there are always exceptions, and this site has been mine. I'd hate to know how many hours I've spent on this site scrolling through ride reports, browsing the flea market, or just staring in total awe at the pictures of far off remote places.

Going into this trip I had toyed with the idea of doing a ride report, and toward the end I had convinced myself to do it. If for no other reason I felt I owed the site a little something. The ride reports here have been a huge source of inspiration, motivation, and information. And if my little report could serve as one of those for someone else then it would be worth the time and effort. However after only a few days back in the real world I'd managed to talk myself out of it.

Enter friend: "Have you started your ride report yet?"

Me: "Um, well, uh, no. I don't think I'm going to do it."

Friend: "What! You've go to do it. What you've told me was good. You need to do it."

Dammit, gotta love peer pressure.

So, I've decided to give it a try. I've also decided to post it here in the Regional forum vs. the Ride Report forum. My reasoning is simple. While this trip was an epic adventure for me. It just doesn't compare to the ventures of Chi-town or the terrain conquered by those traveling the BAM road. And to a lot of (lucky) people this will just be pictures of their backyard. However, if your just a simple country boy like myself, born and reared here in the southeast. This report might be of some interest and you will better be able to relate to how the things I witnessed simply blew my mind.

Alright, enough with my late night rambling. As the sign says :deal, "This post is pointless without pics." So here are a few teaser shots to test the waters and see if there is any interest in my continuing this report:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bring it on!
  3. Crusier Dude

Crusier Dude pavement inspecter

Oddometer:
    I love your pictures and I also have a V Strom so you got me hooked from the beginning.

Nice start on your Adventure, let's see more.

Les in Boise:clap
  4. VonHelm

VonHelm corona ring

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    :lurk Ready for next chapter!!!! :clap
  6. MSrider

MSrider Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics.
  7. DavidQ

DavidQ We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer:
    Please continue
  8. tslaw

tslaw aged n00b

Oddometer:
    :beer for your friend.
  9. Dragon43

Dragon43 If you insist.

Oddometer:
    Waiting...... :ddog
  10. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Your off to a good start.
    This is not facebook or twitter you can be as anonymous as you choose to be. :D

Thanks for sharing.
  11. evilbollweevil

evilbollweevil HDkila

Oddometer:
    Fixerized :rofl

Yes, pics and a few words about them are nice so good job and be careful having fun. Watch for critters! :eek1
  12. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just goes to show the Rednecks like to ride and take great photos. You make me proud to be a Redneck too. At least my Liberal Democrat sister thinks I am. What the hell does she know? All her thoughts are wacky.
  13. sandman_78

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the interest and support!

Before I get this thing started I feel I need to share few details about the methodology used to plan this trip (or lack of). :D I've been obsessed with bikes as long as I can remember and I've been riding them on and off since I was about 16. The touring thing is new however. I've only been doing it for about 4 years now, but this has been enough time to trial several different methods to planning a trip. I've done the trips were you plan out every little detail, the spur of the moment weekend get-a-way, and even tried one where I just went with no particular destination in mind. Each has their pros and cons, and each has taught me valuable lessons.

For this trip I sprinkled in some ingredients from each recipe. I started by choosing areas of the country that I wanted to see, mapped out a loose route for the GPS to gauge my mileage, and made a schedule of what area (not place or city) that I should be in on certain days to check my progress. The plan was simple, "Just Go". If I decided a place was worth staying 3 days vs. 2 then that is what I would do. I definitely wanted to see the whole loop but I've done this enough to know that a good camp site is hard to leave and no matter how hard you ride, you just can't see it all. So I was determined to take this ride at whatever pace suited me that day.

And to top it all off, I did limited research on the places that I might be visiting. This trip was going to take me through states that I had never visited and I wanted to see them with a clear head. No preconceived ideas about what they are supposed to look like that I picked up from some travel brochure or website. I wanted each road to lead me to something unknown and to experience each state as it was at that moment.

I guess I said all this just to say that if your planning a trip anytime soon, this recipe make a mighty fine cobbler. :lol3

Ok, give me a few minutes to grab some supper and we'll get this trip started. :ricky
  14. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    more please.... :clap
  15. sandman_78

Oddometer:
    The first 2 days can be summed up in one word, "TEXAS." I crossed the Texas state line for the first time last summer. It was fun then, but this time it's just an obstacle to overcome (I know it's not possible, but has this thing gotten bigger?). If things go right I should cover about 1,500 miles the first 2 days.

Unfortunately, I have not been doing any distance riding lately and I just can't take being in the saddle anymore. After only 600+ miles I start looking for a motel.

Yes, please have the bellhop take these to room 203.

[​IMG]

Day 2 is better. My body is adjusting to riding again. After much slab I finally exit the interstate and start down the 2 lane roads.

It's not the prettiest sign every but it'll do. This is my first time in Arizona and everything from here on out is new unexplored territory for me. To me crossing this state line marked the official beginning of my trip.

[​IMG]

The scenery quickly starts to change and I finally start hitting some interesting spots. A grin enters my face, I set a leisurely pace, and just take it all in. The colors in the landscape out here are just amazing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I make better mileage the second day, but it's still not enough. It's the 3rd day before I hit my first area of interest.

[​IMG]

I make my way to the visitor's center, park the bike, and go looking for the restaurant. It's about noon now and my complementary breakfast wore off quite a while ago. The restaurant at the lodge has large glass walls on 2 sides and what I see staring at me through those panes quickly grabs my attention. The rumbling in my tummy is no longer a concern. I only want to get closer to the windows. I find a door that leads to the balcony and then simply stand staring in complete awe.

It's huge!!! Yes I know what your thinking. (It's the Grand Canyon dummy, What'd you expect :doh) But there's just no picture or documentary film that could adequately capture the size of this thing. It's so vast! And it stretches in all directions with canyons inside of canyons inside of canyons. Simply Amazing!

Don't believe me, well have a peek for yourself:

[​IMG]
  16. MSrider

MSrider Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer:
    :beer
  17. Mister D

Mister D Peg standing idiot

Oddometer:
    Sandman, I feel the same way about the Grand Canyon myself. I've been there twice and both times hiked down to the bottom and camped. It's just so big that it's a whole new experience whenever you change your position in the canyon or on the rim. I am amazed whenever I meet people who don't feel the same way about it. I'm glad you decided to write your report.
  18. sandman_78

Oddometer:
    I stroll around the lodge a bit longer and finally get that lunch I was craving earlier. Then head back to the bike and out of the park in search of a campsite. I had seen a place on this site that was listed near the park and had loaded the coordinates into my GPS before leaving. It quickly became obvious to me that this damn contraption was not going to take me where I wanted to go. The GPS kept trying to send me straight through the woods. As tempting a thought as this was, I wasn't ready to get kicked out of here just yet.

A little later, I find myself at a gas station just outside of the park talking to the store clerks. They have a FS map and offer to let me look it over. After a few minutes of discussion we think we have located the road I was looking for and off I go.

I travel down the road about 6 miles or so before I start to see some spots that interest me. I think I've only passed 3-4 campers down the whole stretch. This is just the kind of camping I've been hoping for. I find a turn off and go exploring. It's not the site I was looking for but it will definitely do. I pick a spot, park the bike, and once again take in the views:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I set up camp and make my first batch of camp coffee:

[​IMG]

I even find time to charge the ol' cellular. What? Never seen this type of charger before? What can I say, where there's a redneck. There's always a way to get'r done. :D

[​IMG]

After my chores are done. I just sit back in my recliner with my coffee and enjoy the moment.

[​IMG]

Sorry, no pics for this part. I'll just have to think back to those creative writing classes I dozed through and do my best to describe it for ya.

I'm at 9,000 feet here, so it's sure to get cold tonight. But with the help of some thermals and a good sleeping bag, I'm quite cozy. It's the wind that surprises me. It is roaring something fierce. The strange part is that all is still. My tent sits idle, and the trees barely move. I can't figure it out. By the sound of things tree tops should be reaching for the ground, but that is just not the case. It just rushes past barely kissing the tops of the trees. I lay there and listen. Toss and turn. It's hard to sleep, so I just stare at the roof of the tent and listen. To me the gusts of wind remind me of kids playing tag on the playground. It runs hard in one direction, then slap. Tag! your it, and quickly turns and runs the other way. It does this continuously, non-stop. Never stopping to catch its breath or rest for even slightest moment.

I sleep on and off through the night. Disgusted that the wind will not quiet so I can sleep and at the same time glad that it doesn't. It is just too fascinating to want it to stop completely.
  19. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is one fine view from your Kermit Chair. Was camped at the GC a month ago. There is a reason it is called the Grand Canyon. Been there many times and it never gets old viewing that place.
  20. Chairman

Chairman Everyday is Friday

Oddometer:
    Sandman,

Great pics!! Do you mind if I put the Chair picture on my website?

Sounds like a great trip!

Tom
    Kermit Chair Company