Why does some threads get merged & others don't?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Rob Dirt, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Just curious about certain threads getting merged yet others don't. I'm going to have to give an example, but it's just one example of this happening all the time.
    A guy post a thread "any difference between 2012 & 2013 wee?" Nothing gets merged.
    A guy post a thread "any difference between 2012 & 2013 tiger 800?" & it gets merged.
    Is there a mod that has issues with triumph post & not Wee post?
    I know there was a guy starting threads for every possible Tiger 800 topic, but I'm not referring to that huge merge fest. I'm just trying to understand why so many threads about Tiger 800s get merged yet plenty of other threads about other bikes stay. Is there something I'm missing? It's starting to get rediculous trying to follow these merged piles of crap.
    Again, just curious.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Beasts is a forum for a bunch of different bikes.. a quick look shows a bunch of Tiger threads: Tiger Problems, Tiger Panniers, Tiger Farkles, Tiger Windshields, Show us your Tiger pics thread, Would you buy a Tiger again, and the general Tiger discussion thread and that's just on Page 1. Since this forum is not dedicated to one brand only, starting a new thread about anything and everything - regardless of brand - is going to get merged into the general discussion thread, or one of the threads that most closely applies to what's being discussed.

Mods are not big on merging threads, but some inmates can't be bothered to search before they start a new thread... and chances are, it's been posted before. Google is very good at finding key words on this site.
  3. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    To search via google, type your term or terms, then add: site:advrider.com

so,

Tiger XC site:advrider.com

Use parenthesis so that you do not get posts with just tiger or just xc

"Tiger XC" site:advrider.com

Learning how to google search individual forums makes forum use hella more informative.
  4. dpg

dpg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can we please get this thread merged with "why did my thread get merged" thread, "where did my thread go?" thread and "who moved my fucking thread?" thread? Thanks in advance.