My New Chinese Big Ruckus clone thread...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by deezildennis, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    saw my first one out in the wild two days ago. exactly like yours.

i find myself lustful.
  2. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I have 4300 miles on it right now. Getupkid, I am not sure about the Carb issue you are having. The Carb is very easy to access though on these from under the seat. 20 or 30 minutes you should have it out.

I have had mine off but it was just for the hell of it and it just got a rinse out with berrymans and thrown back on. Sounds like yours maybe a issue with the auto choke? The Guys and Gals at http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi Helped me diagnose a Kymco carb issue before and they were spot on. Sign up over there and see what they have to say.

I have ran a few capfulls of seafoam in the tank at every fillup since new and I am sure it has help curb the common Chinese carb issues.

Ronnah where did you see one like mine? I spent a few minutes talking to a fellow the other day about mine. It's hard to take it to places like the hardware store and not be asked about it. I thought about getting rid of it now that i have the Helix but I Really doubt I will.
  3. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:

Vet's Hospital parking lot, Des Moines, Iowa, sitting amongst some other scooters and a bunch of harleys.
  4. getupkid

getupkid n00b

Oddometer:
    Dennis,

Have you changed your jets or rollers? If so, what size worked best for you? Have you made any other changes?
  5. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    The rollers and jets were great out of the box. I haven't touched either.

I probably won't unless they wear out or the carb gets fouled up.

Might as well update the thread while I'm here.

Bike is still running fine. I lost a exhaust bolt from the swinger a while back.
    I bought another complete seat set from Ssr so can have a upholstery guy I know recover it in brown leather. The stock seat is fine BTW and is one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had on a bike. No kidding..
  6. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to get the info on the extra seat I'd like to get one fOr my scoot please
  7. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I had my dealer Contact Ssr motorsports and order it for me. I would assume you could contact ssr and they could sell you one.
  8. drseventies

drseventies n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to Deezil and the rest for some great info and thought provoking opinions in this thread. Thanks to you guys I'm switching from scoot/bike research to picking a helmet.

Before I pull the trigger on my Rowdy order, I'm hoping you can tell me a bit about the feel of certain moving parts.

Specifically, does the seat adjustment have any slop or play after it's set? If tolerances are loose and I have to feel and hear things like my seat or footboards shifting and moving it could ruin the whole experience for me.

I don't expect anything like perfection from a $1,500 scoot, but I'd love to know if you've experienced what I can only describe as "slop" in any major "rider to bike" contact points.

My nearest dealer is a couple hours away, wants $2000 + tax and has been exceptionally useless on product info, so I'll be ordering from http://www.ssrpitbikesusa.com/SSR-Rowdy-150.html and planning to be completely on my own in PDI, maintenance and repairs for my scoot.

Also, aside from the 13" diameter, I've yet to find any mention of wheel/tire size. What are my tire options for this thing?

Again, thanks so much for all the information.
  9. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    No shifting Or slop of the sort. The bike is solid and I have stood up on the floor boards several times. I hear that there are some tabs that can be compromised on the seat pan if it isn't replaced properly so take care with that if you remove the seat.

The duro tires that are on mine have been fantastic.

The ride is stiffer compared to my rolling couch helix but I love it
    Handles going off the beaten path a little better.
  10. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I second the tires. I have almost 2000 miles on mine and they show no obvious wear. The lower speeds this thing cruises at, surely helps there.

Seat is good...but WATCH REMOVING AND REINSTALLING THE SEAT BOTTOM. Plastic tabs in the back; you have to have them hooked and you won't notice it if you don't - until you hear them break and feel the seat shift.

On the up side of that, my seat has held fine with both the tabs broken, only the forward latch holding it to the assembly.

Tire options: No clue. BUT...the Big Ruckus tires will NOT work. The BR uses smaller rims and doughier tires.

Final word: Depending on which batch you have, you may or may not have a tachometer. And you may or may not have an overspeed indicator - mine has both. The tendency is to get into the gearing and make it so you can run wide open without overrevving the engine and gain a little top speed.

I'd recommend not. The Chinese gy-6 engines are not that overly rugged; I think that's why they're geared as they are. When you cruise at the redline, about 54 mph indicated, 45 actual...you're nowhere near wide-open throttle. If you set it up to where you can open it wide without bumping the redline...you'll lose power on hills; but you'll probably burn out the engine fast.

Leave it be - accept it for what it is. It's a 21st-Century minibike, not a road racer. It can handle 80 percent of your needs, and if you take the time to find the less-traveled roads, you can use it for quite a few purposes. I've commuted 30 miles to work on it, because I don't want to trash my better bikes in the hellish site where I work...soft sand, mud, flying dust.

Have fun. Just be sure to change ALL fluids, engine and rear end, RIGHT AT ASSEMBLY and again at 300 miles.
  11. zombiea

zombiea n00b

Oddometer:
    hi,

I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm attracted to the adjustable backrest and think it might help my lower back. However, I wonder how much cushion the rider gets when you hit a large bump at speed? Does the bike absorb the shock, is it transmitted up your spine, legs?

2. I'd like to be able to commute with this bike going a true 55mph. Is 55mph for 20 minutes a shot too much for this bike? Does it get buzzy?

appreciate the help
    Zombiea
  12. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    You are not going to he able to do that speed with this bike unless its just for a minute or so on level ground. 45-50 is fine all day with mine but you are looking at the wrong bike. I wouldn't try to do that with any air cooled gy6 or any of the smaller scoots you are just wringing it out at that point.

What you need is a Honda Helix with a Utopia adjustable backrest. http://www.utpr.com/

I Love my Rowdy to no end but it is more for city riding or surface street or where you can do 45-50 without getting in the way.
  13. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    The backrest is not "adjustable" - it's either upraised or down. Seat position, forward or back, is adjustable - but except for small women, everyone is going to want it all the way back.

What the previous poster said about speed is correct. If you need higher speed, look for a Honda Big Ruckus - and prepare to spend three times the money for a good used one.
  14. Mike_drz

Mike_drz Banned

Oddometer:
    nice scooters, what a peice of morden engineering :evil
  15. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I like it.
  16. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I had reservations about bumping another Chinese scooter thread since that aren't well recived here, but I did want to let everyone know I was able to somewhat restore the black tubes that were damaged by the S100 wash.

A very kind friend walked me through the process of cutting the original paint and then walked me through budding the paint afterwards. It came out pretty decent even though they aren't as glossy as the once were. They are at least somewhat shiny again and my angst is relieved.

I will get some pics tomorrow. I had a very relaxing 40 mile ride with it tonight in the cool air. Even sat at about 50 mph for a longer period than its ever been and it performed flawlessly without a hitch. The bike seems happy that I am back to riding it if you can believe it.

This really has been a wonderful little bike. I'm glad I am back to riding it.
  17. motolombardo

motolombardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Dennis, what's the status of your scoot? Still happy? I may be pulling the trigger on one shortly, the only thing holding me back is the somewhat low top speed. Thanks
  18. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, she looks nice. If only she had about twice the displacement....
  19. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply. The scooter is still doing great. I am riding my helix more than the Rucklone this winter but it is always ready to go if its nice out.
    Helix has more wind protection.
    Even with the displacement differance I found myself riding the Rucklone more over the past summer.

It runs 50mph all day long. Im not sure how much more I need since I only ride it on surface streets.

For me it has been a good investment. My older helix has been a money pit.
  20. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks DeezilDennis for these posts. I just put a black version in layaway and hope to have it out soon. These posts have been amazingly helpful. I wish I would have found this forum prior to purchasing it, but on the other hand with all the great things you have to say about your bike, I'm even more thrilled with my choice. Personally I'm having the dealer assemble it. Not because I can't do the work but because his work is covered. I looked at all the other scooters out there and decided I didn't like the typical scooter "look" plus everything seemed to have a seat height of 30 inches or more which could make them problematic for a gal of a towering 4'11" :eek1. At least with this bike things are adjustable. I do have a question tho. My husband will be driving me down to pick it up once everything is paid for and completed. I have to drive it home. The drive will be over 2 hours long. Any tips on getting it home safe and sound for that distance?