Overpant question

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Maliwal, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Maliwal

Maliwal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I have a question about something over pants. I just picked up a 750 cruiser :puke1 for commuting to and from school next year, and I want some decent weather and slide protection for the lower half. Last time I checked, the ladies prefer a man with skin on his legs.

So here it is: living in southern Cali, I won't be facing blizzard conditions. I will, however, face huge temperature changes from morning to afternoon, sometimes on the order of fifty to sixty degrees. Three cheers for semiarid climates, eh? Being a broke-ass college student, I want something on the cheaper end though. Any suggestions? Wet crotch all day in class is a sensation I'd like to avoid, or at least soaked ones.

I found these leather over pants but I wonder how they would compare to a similarly priced pair of textile over pants. Thoughts?

http://www.leatherup.com/mp/Xelemen...r-Over-Pants-w/-Side-Zipper--Snaps/41326.html
  2. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think leather is the best thing for rain or cold.:deal
  4. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're riding a Harley you are required to wear leather; the rest of us not so much.
  5. TebKLR

TebKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely not at the "cheap" end of the scale, but good value....

Aerostich Darien Light pants have been keeping me warm and dry for a couple of years now.

A little less expensive are their AD-1 overpants.
  6. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Firstgear Kathmandu pants for a number of years. They are good value, comfortable, and fairly versatile. With the ability to take the liner in and out, and a ventilation system that works, they are good for below freezing to about 75 degrees.

They are not the most protective gear on the planet, but are better than one of those Wal-Mart yellow suits. At about $230, they may be on the higher end of a student budget.

These are not the most expensive gear on the planet, and they don't breathe with the rain liner in, but they are well-made and rugged for a surprisingly low price:

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Pants/Textile-Pants/LP2821

I took a pair for a slide down the pavement some years ago. They did their job.

If I was a broke college student, fifty bucks would look pretty good. They are not junk.
  8. dutchjohn

dutchjohn Adventure Touring

Oddometer:
  9. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a pair of Kevlar Jeans with armor worn on the body and had a pair of nylon rain pants for bad weather. The combo has served me for 2 years and works great.

Aerostitch Darien lights are on my shortlist currently... (In khaki of course :norton)

-Jake
  10. Yeahbaby

Yeahbaby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know where you are coming from being a former broke ass student myself. Look over at leatherup.com. The Xelement gear is cheap and is ok if you don't expect too much, it's not Aerostich or Klim quality but it's less than dinner at a good restaurant with drinks. I think it's better than the Bilt gear you can pickup at Cyclegear.
  11. Maliwal

Maliwal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks folks. I just got my jacket from Leatherup.com today and the quality seems pretty remarkable for the price, so I may use them again for the overpants. However, I'm also looking at some Tourmasters and a few other textile ones. I'm leaning more towards textile just because I don't need to look like a leathered-up tool :rofl
  12. SidewaysCarolina

SidewaysCarolina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought these for $100 from a local dealer a few months ago. They are cheap water resistant and have knee armor and are pretty slide resistant. I like them because i can leave my over pants in my saddle bags and go in somewhere looking normal and not like a space ranger.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-axis-pants
  13. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Dude, you're riding a cruiser. Go with the flow!
  14. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
  15. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been wearing Tourmaster Quest pants for the past 7 years or so as overpants. In the summer when it gets up into the 90s and triple digits I'll just wear them by themselves instead of over work pants (khakis).

They're absolutely nothing special, but pretty cheap. I wear size 32 pants and the mediums are perfect for overpants and a bit loose by themselves.
  16. farmrjohn

farmrjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. dasrider

dasrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of Tourmaster Flex textile overpants and I am very happy with them. I use them year round here in NC, so that means I ride summer time temps in the low 100s with high humidity to winter months in 30s (I usually don't ride beyond those extremes). The outer shell has removable panels that reveal mesh and allow a good amount of air to flow through. The pants come with two liners: one quilted, insulated and windproof and another rain liner. When it's cold, I prefer just the quilted liner. Putting both on is a little too bulky imo.

The quality of the pants is excellent, and shows little wear after 2 years of regular use. I also like the dual reflective stripes that run the outside length of each leg. They show up very well at night, which is important since I'm leaving work in the dark this time of year. I wear slacks at work and these pants fit great over them. When I get here, I just throw the Flex pants in my tailbag. They include CE armor in the knees and foam armor in the hips. I wear 36/32 jeans comfortably and the Flex in XL fits great whether or not I'm wearing work slacks or jeans underneath.

I had a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants that had comparable features, but the Tourmaster is far and away better quality and more durable so far.

Dig it: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...aster/flex_textile_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html