1200GS: The Faulty Fuel Strip Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ARG, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ARG

ARG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The letter I wrote to Motorcycle Consumer News about the problems with my 2009 R1200GS Fuel Level Strips just got published in the February issue. It is in the downtime files on page 8. There is an answer and response from BMW. Now would be a good time for others with this problem to give their comments to Motorcycle Consumer News as well after reading and referencing the article. This is a great publication and carries a lot of weight in the motorcycle industry. Their published information has gotten the manufacturers attention on other issues in the past.

ARG
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are you going to post the answer here?
  3. Stinkyb

Stinkyb GS"eh" rider

Oddometer:
    :clap Answers please. knowing BMW theyll scoff it up to poor fuel:huh
  4. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you able to post that same letter in this thread?
  5. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a 2010 with bad FS. Interested in BMW's response. Reckon they'll blamd the Ethanol, which is WEAK since Ethanol in Gas didn't arrive just yesterday, it's been here a while....AND IN EUROPE TOO!

And if it truly is Ethanol related, then go back to the easy float type approach.
  6. Arby60

Arby60 Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer:
    My third fuel sensor strip went bad recently on my 2008 GS
  7. dougsdrive

dougsdrive Purposely Lost

Oddometer:
    I'm on my third fuel strip and out of warranty. The last one installed by Gina's BMW was described by their shop manager as "a better and improved unit.". It is nearly perfect at predicting the last few miles but drops to one bar quickly and stays there through two gallon. That's why I have two spare fuel bottles on the back.
  8. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I have two '07 bikes with fuel strips, an F650GS and an R1200GSA. The GSA has had zero problems with the fuel strip. The '07 F650GS did have a faulty strip. I took it to BMW Salt Lake, and they said nothing was wrong with it. Left the shop on empty, filled up for the 300 mile ride home, hit the road, and 25 miles later the fuel warning light came on. I called the shop, spoke to the 'service' manager. He asked me to bring it back. I told him that I had a 300 mile ride to get home and had to work the next day. I never took either of my bikes back to Salt Lake City for service. Too long of a ride for shitty service. They also said nothing was wrong with the clock and trip odometer which reset to zero every time the key is switched off.

I later read that Chevron fuel additives seem to prevent the strip from going bad.. and someone from germany posted up on this website the same thing.

Skip ahead a year and a half, I was in another BMW dealers shop, and there was what looked like a pint size bottle of a special BMW fuel additive for the fuel strip that also had the familiar Chevron company logo on the bottle.

Go figure..
  9. Acampao

Acampao WInd Jammer

Oddometer:
    I cannot believe this can happen to a state of the art electronics motorbike. Some suggest predicting by the odometer¡ C'mon, even my last two Harleys had reliable fuel gauges. Is there some sort or class action affected owners can file? I am riding my GSA in Southern Patagonia, no ethanol whatsoever in the gas, and the gauge went crazy @ 2,500 miles. I am so pissed off!

A
  10. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still waiting patiently for the OP to post BMW's response on the thread....if he can....
  11. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just read the magazine and the response from MCN. They consulted Al Madril at BMW Fresno. Probably a nice guy but it's not really the same as a response from BMW corporate. Al basically says that "California gas, with its maze of chemicals, does a bit worse than other states, but 'the problem' is not as widespread as the internet forums would report." He goes on to say "Using a gas additive containing 'Techron,' such as BMW's fuel system treatment, appears to help the situation a bit."

Then he mentions that "We get periodic progress reports from the BMW mothership on this subject, and you should know that it is a big deal and it is being addressed."

There is some more information in the section of MCN but that's most of it.
  12. ARG

ARG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. I would like to post the entire article that I sent in and the response byt do not know how to. Maybe you know how to scan and post. Sorry I cant.

ARG
  13. monkeydad

monkeydad Long timer

Oddometer:
    The response said that Techron seems to slow if not eliminate the corrosion the strips are subjected to from American gas blends.

My dealer's head mech said there is no difference between bottled Techron and the BMW labeled stuff they sell.
  14. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    My fuel strip on my '08 R1200GS called it quits just before entering Mexico on a recent trip down to Colombia from Chicago. While I don't like looking at the FUEL! warning flashing all the time, I don't miss the gauge. I know how many miles I can get on a tank, and simply set one of the trip odometers when I fuel up. Just like the old days. I am out of warranty so I won't be replacing that strip, unless BMW decides to make an exception and pay the shop bill.
    Mexicali likes this.
  15. Uninvited

Uninvited n00b

Oddometer:
    Have to add my bit. BMW says not so widespread but I sit in Johannesburg, South Africa where its also nailing us. And as for it being something in the fuel? So what quality and additives you think we have?
  16. Boxer-lust

Boxer-lust Banned

Oddometer:
    I canceled my subscription to MCN long time ago.
    Since Lee Parks left they are no more than a amateurish fancine for guys liking Harleys and Ducatis...
    Often they don't know what they are talking about like a 1400 Concours racking up cheaper maintenance bills than a 1200RT...
    I read MAD magazine now...:lol3
    Had one faulty fuel strip on a 09 R1200R right off the showoom floor,fixed under warranty and no problem ever since...
    The problem should go away very soon anyways since "welfare for farmers/ethanol susidies" just ran out...:D
  17. g_e_young

g_e_young Born to ride

Oddometer:
    Or design a fuel strip that is more robust to the effects of ethanol. That can't be so difficult. (or maybe it is since the went back to mechanical floats). g-
  18. ARG

ARG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Consumer News has been very active in solving motorcyclist's issues such as Gold Wing steering head bearings in the past.
    If you have any comments on this Fuel Strip issue please send them to Motorcycle Consumer News at the address below;

editor@mcnews.com
    Subject Line, Downtime Files

This may help if we all send them a note with our experiences and thank them for their interest.

ARG
  19. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW says it's not so widespread.

Hm. Like R1100 surging and soft cast wheels.

So, when did they go back to mechanical floats?
  20. CannonsvilleRider

CannonsvilleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer: