the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    The strange thing is that when I take the air filter off, or even just remove the airbox cover, it runs just fine. Well, it idles a bit rough with the side cover off, but when I just take off the filter, it sounds perfect. Obviously, I can't run it without a filter, but it does seem to isolate the problem. I am going to take a crack at that carb, though. I need to do it eventually, and I'm already in the mood.
  2. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Oh wow, interesting! I should have asked you that. :)

Then this tells me the carb is probably fine (but if you're in the mood, go for it)... I would do what dragnbiker did -- soak the filter in a bucket of warm water with Simple Green in it. Clean it again. In fact, once it's clean and totally dry, put it back on the bike before oiling it. Does it run? If so, then it was overoiled. If not, then maybe it is the carb... or like Rusty Rocket said, that other little filter might be the cause. My bike doesn't have that filter with the FCR.

Part of this diagnostics is actually kinda fun. I went through it two weekends ago on my FZ1. Thing was running poorly at low RPM, then a problem developed at higher RPMs. It would "stutter" and just not run right. A guy on FZO1A said put in new spark plugs and trim the plug wires down 1/2" to ensure the caps are all making good contact. So I did. No change. Pulled the carbs again. Found one of the main jets had come loose and was rattling around in the bowl. Well, there was my WOT throttle problem. Pulled the pilot jets and "flossed" them, then reinstalled. The idle problem was much improved.

Then while sync'ing the carbs with the manometer, I noticed cyl#3 popping/cutting out. Hmmm. Pulled the carbs again, reverified everything, reinstalled. Still doing it. And posting the results at each step. Apparently there were a bunch of guys not doing anything this particular Sunday since I was getting help every few minutes.

So somebody suggested swapping the coils around -- the FZ1 has two coils, each one running two cylinders. One ran 1,4 and one ran 2,3. Rather than do that, I swapped the #3 plug cap with #4, which should accomplish the same thing since it was on the other coil. Sure enough, cyl #4 was now the one not running right. I verified it with my infra-red temp gauge... 1,2,3 were 500 deg on the header, and 4 was 125. Nope, not firing.

So I popped on eBay and ordered a set of coils/plug wires (you can't get just wires) from a used bike parts place for $35 shipped. They showed up two days later and took ten minutes to install. BINGO! The bike runs great! Smooth idle, smooth running, craploads of power (125 hp at the wheel). Finally, two months after buying the bike in crap-running condition, it's finally right. I had the carbs out at least eight times, and even soaked 'em. Replaced all the O-rings, etc, etc. Whoodathunk it'd be a bad plug wire!

Despite the issues, I'd still rather deal with this than fuel injection.

Rob
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's all you'll ever need to know about the DR650 carb. The first few pages are for the KTM BST-40 carb, some parts are different than ours, so don't freak out when yours isn't identical to the pics.

The BST-40 bible:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184&highlight=bst40

More information:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18843899&postcount=82
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. neo1piv014

Oddometer:
    You guys are the bomb. Thanks! What is this Simple Green stuff I keep hearing about, by the way?

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express
  5. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Holy cow, you haven't heard of Simple Green???

Walmart... cleaning products aisle, or in the car cleaning products asile. It's darn green, in a spray bottle. It's only THE best all-around cleaner money can buy. Totally non-toxic, biodegradable, etc. There are even instructions on the bottle for using as laundry detergent if you want.

The way it comes it's full-strength. You can save a bunch of money by diluting it with water. I suggest buying one spray bottle and then one of the big refill bottles. Then each time you spray the bottle down about 1/3 of the way, fill it up again with water. After 3-4 times of this, let it run out. Then refill it 1/2 to 1/3 of the way with the refill, and the rest with water from the faucet.

It's great for getting bug crap off your car before you wash it (think of it as a prewash), removing stains from carpet, clothes, whatever.

Rob
  6. neo1piv014

Oddometer:
    So on a scale of 1 to the ungodly cleaning power of Tuf Stuff - let's call that 10 - Simple Green is pretty awesome? I'm going to have to give this a shot.
  7. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I've used it full strength to remove Sharpie markings on plastic.. as long as the sharpie markings aren't that old. If they've been around for ages, forget it.

Note... I've read that Simple Green has been known to cause pitting on aluminum if left on it for an extended time. It's fine for cleaning it, just don't spray and forget. I use it all the time to clean grease off my DR650, like all the grease crap that builds up around the front sprocket. Though FWIW, WD40 actually works better in that particular case. Then I re-oil the chain afterward. :)

Rob
  8. Richguzzi

Richguzzi Adventurer

Oddometer:

All true, also don't spray it full strength around anything that might be greased
    (unless you want it off). I use it to clean the alloy wheels on our cars but you need to keep it away from the brake callipers or after a while there is no more grease on pins, mounts ect.
  9. Motodeficient

Motodeficient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my 35F0 GSX-R can on ebay for $46 in pretty much mint condition. These are the cans that came on 01-03 GSXR 600 and 00-03 GSXR 750. They will flow plenty well for a DR650, considering the 00-03 GSXR 750 makes 140HP, 100 HP more than our bikes. It is a couple pounds heavier than the 40F0 (01-02 GSXR 1000) but still much lighter than the stock muffler. Very nice tone, louder than stock for sure but not as loud as the FMF Q4 and hardly any popping on decel. I am not sad that I did not hold out for a 40F0. Dimention wise, the 35F0 and 40F0 are the same. The Keintech GSXR midpipe kit will work for either the 35F0 or the 40F0.

The GSXR midpipe kit from keintech is VERY nice. It seems expensive, until you get the kit in your hands. They put a lot of effort into making it a perfect bolt-up to the DR650. Even including a nice machined, SOLID, handsome bracket to mount the muffler to the mounting point on the sub-frame. So with the 35F0 and Keintech midpipe kit, I have $280 including shipping into the setup. My FMF Q4 that I had previously cost me $300 shipped.

One of the big reasons I held off on the GSXR pipe conversion was that I liked the way the FMF looked, and didn't think I liked the way the GSXR muffler looked. Now that I have it installed, the GSXR muffler looks awesome on the bike.
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    we just have to get Briggs and Stratton to sell the pieces they punch out.:D

[​IMG]
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Suzuki...&fits=Model:GSX-R&hash=item1c2a8d7a9f&vxp=mtr
  12. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod
  13. Mongle

Mongle Cyberdos groupie

Oddometer:
    And do NOT spray it on a hot engine. It will turn the alumn. case white. I have seen people spray it on hot alumn. rims after driving and it dries almost immediately and causes a white stain. After that it takes a lot of Mothers polish and elbow work!:lol3
  14. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    U-Haul, part of the Suzuki DR Experience.

[​IMG]

My wife's bike blew out its countershaft oil seal and lost a lot of oil. I could probably have fixed it but we decided to load both up and come home to fix it properly.

[​IMG]

The rail we found sitting beside the parking lot worked beautifully as a ramp. Sure came in handy, though it weighed a couple of hundred pounds.

After my alternator problem on the BMW F8 earlier in the week, I figured bad luck comes in threes, so let it happen at home.
  15. edwardo

edwardo clever witticism here

Oddometer:
    Hello all...hope you don't mind a somewhat retarded question...

I have added the pumper to my DR. Along with a 13/42, I am loving the ride I'm getting from it (secondary, gravel, moderate trail). From the thread, it seems the GSXR exhaust is getting harder to come by. I have the stock muffler currently and really like the lack of noise from it. BUT...if the GSXR or 'busa exhaust would open another door, I wouldn't mind spending the coin...
    My question: what kind of performance increase could I appreciate from the exhaust modification??
  16. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:

And I have a nice ocean front property for sale in Nevada if you're interested :D
  17. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    Flow-wise, the stock can isn't really too bad. It's heavy though; many replace it more to save weight (which helps performance in all areas) than to increase power output.
  18. jugglingogre

jugglingogre Exocet Wallaby Target

Oddometer:
    With my 105kg (230lbs) + gear, a couple of kg's can is really not going to make a hell of a lot of difference. Me eating less might have a much bigger impact on performance:lol3
  19. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Changed to the Ti GSXR can a few weeks ago. Using my digital scales there is a 6 lbs 4 oz weight savings weighting both then GSXR muffler and mid pipe aganist the stock DR muffler. Made no changes to carb jetting. Mileage nor performance seemed to change. So if you want to save 6 lbs 4 oz make the change. I liked the quite of the stock pipe but wanted the weight savings since I always over pack when traveling.

TravelGuy.

20. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Its a little slow on the night shift tonight so I broght the DR in and put it on the scales out of curiosity.

Mostly stock, 08 DR, IMS tank=less than half full, , Dirtbagz rangers and racks, rear rack with wolfman peak bag, wolfman enduro tank bag, small gps, vapor, blah, blah, blah.....

Anywho it came out to 388 lb.s, better than I though. The gas is quite low though, likely 1.5 gals. left or so.

Things you do to kill time on the night shift eh!:lol3