Important Harley twin cam info

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by YOUNZ, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

:rofl

HIGH-larious!!!
  2. gusanito

gusanito Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer:
    I imagine the majority of them were shipped overseas, where they sold for more than twice what they were sold for here in the US. A friend was involved in overseas HD sales and he shipped a lot of containers filled with Evos, mostly to S. America and S. Africa. I sold my '87 FXST with ~100k miles to my buddy, for $2k more than I paid for it in '88. He shipped it overseas.
    Even the dealers were involved. In the '90s, the local dealer where I lived was busted by HD for selling new bikes to their employees, who then sold them back to the dealer. They then shipped them offshore for big bucks. There were some dealers that had different scams going on, also.
    As far as the cam bearings on Evos, the factory bearings were fine on the stock cams. The problem would be when you installed an aftermarket cam without changing out the stock bearing for a Torrington brand needle bearing.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spring seat pressure kills the EVO INA bearings. The TC88 INA bearings are usually a collateral damage item from debris/oil pump failure due to tensioner shoe debris.

As for the EVOs Harley didn't make as many as they have the TC88s. Harley had a production capacity of 100,000 in 1995. in 2007 they shipped 291,147 not inculiding 9K or so Buells.
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:loco
  5. Shooter1

Shooter1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, what he said.........:lol3
  6. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As for the Evo's disappearing: I've often wondered that myself. Prior to 1999, thee were scads of Evo's and within a year or two, they seemed like a rare sight. When the rubber mount Sporties came out, again it seemed liek all the solid mounts disappeared within one season. What happens to these bikes?
  7. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I think every 4 stroke motorcycle I've ever owned (except that Evo Harley) has had at least one chain inside the engine. They've never given me any trouble. Not to say they can't. But if you think about it, inside an engine is a pretty ideal environment for a chain. It's sealed from any dirt or contamination and constantly bathed in lubrication. My observation has been you are more likeley to have trouble with the tensioning system than the chain itself.
  8. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right, the chains don't break, the tensioners lose tension and the bike is sold. The other reason bikes are sold are electrical problems and dirty carbs. Older bikes, you know.
  9. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    People that ride buy them.

And then they ride them.
  10. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Harleys suck, I guess that's how/why they out sell all other brands combined in the USA.
  11. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not true, look it up. :deal
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Last I checked the MoCo was about 54%

Has this changed much?

Harley Davidson announces a 73.5% increase in income in year-ago comparisons, totaling $119.3 million for the first quarter of 2011.<SUP id=_ref-Q1FY2011_0 class=reference>[3]</SUP> Increases in income were driven by a 1.5% increase in revenue, totaling $1.22 billion for Q1 FY 2011.<SUP id=_ref-Q1FY2011_1 class=reference>[3]</SUP> Similarly, retail sales increased by 3.5% for the quarter when compared to the previous year, with the majority of increased sales coming from Europe.<SUP id=_ref-Q1FY2011_2 class=reference>[3]</SUP> International sales overall increased by 11.3% with European sales increasing by 22.7%.<SUP id=_ref-Q1FY2011_3 class=reference>[3]</SUP> Harley Davidson's market share decreased by 1.9% to 53.4% for the quarter.<SUP id=_ref-Q1FY2011_4 class=reference>[3]</SUP> Total revenue from motorcycle sales increased by 2.5%, totaling $1.1 billion.<SUP id=_ref-Q1FY2011_5 class=reference>[3]</SUP>
  13. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The annual U.S. motorcycle market is estimated at $18 billion. Harley-Davidson has a 47% share in the on-road motorcycle market.

I think the 54% is Harley's share of the heavyweight motorcycle sales.

Anyway, Harley is doing very well in the USA and worldwide in heavyweight motorcycles.
  14. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where? I never see 'em anymore. I see TC's and Rubber mounts but nothing older. An Evo is a rare sight these days.
  15. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    McDonald's sells more hamburgers, and Obama was elected again, what's your point? :lol3
  16. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The lifespan of any chain is far less than any other part in an engine. Most engines that have non replaceable cam chains fail from cam chain failure. My Yamaha XT225 has a chain driven cam, but the chain can be replaced without tearing the engine apart. I have replaced mine once already, at around 20,000 miles. Will probably replace it again at 40,000 miles. I definitely found wear in the old chain compared to the new one. Back before gear drives, I used to replace the timing chains in all my car/truck engines that had them every 50,000 miles or so, and I always found wear. Most automotive engines with chain driven cams also usually fail due to either a broken chain or a chain/sprockets so badly worn that the chain jumped teeth. One good thing about an OHC car engine is it is usually belt driven, and the belts are considered a maintenance item, and are easily replaced. As far as I am concerned, ANY chain is considered a maintenance item, but on most modern motorcycle engines, you have to split the cases to replace them. I still remember when cam chains could be replaced just by pulling the valve/cam cover, because they had a master link. Most drive chains used to have master links too. I don't remember there being any problems with them. Old chains didn't last long on high power bikes, but that was due to poor quality materials and poor manufacturing tolerances. The master links didn't break.
  17. nskitts

nskitts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since this thread was a disaster from the start I am going to go ahead and say it, I am going to put a Ford 300 six cylinder in my Road Glide. They have gears instead of chains and you can fill them with sand and they will still go 400,000 miles. I would have went with the 22re in it but I need torque!
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Funny. When I use to race cars I never had any cam chain issues. It has been my experience that I can get an engine to drop a valve ,burn a hole in a piston or puke a rod out of the side of the block well before any chain problems. :lol3

On a side note my truck has 200k miles on it. Stock cam chain with no measurable wear. The engine in my car has nearly 70k miles on the clock ,produces nearly 400whp (with 2 liters of displacement ) and also has no measurable wear on the cam chain. What I see from your posts is more an issue of you believing that when a small segment of a given object/thing/etc has problems, that means that all like objects/thing/etc will have problems. It simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny when logic is applied. It's kind of like when people say Pit Bulls will "snap" or that Blacks/Hispanics are criminals just because they can find some obscure number that backs up their ignorant view. It's just dumb dumb talk that is perpetuated by fear and a lack of ability to properly analyze information.

Yes....I went there.....This thread is now firmly in the toilet. You are welcome. :D
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think he was saying how hideous Victory Motorcycles are. :D
  20. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Shouldn't you go with a TDI, it has a million torques.