Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
sonoran
bruh

Oddometer: 21,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
Well I decided to go on the cheap route but I think still achieve my objectives; Kelty Coromell Semi Rectangular 550 Down. Rated at 25 degree so if it achieves 35 I will be fine. What I liked was the size of the bag and got a long; its straight across the top so you could open it as it has a full length zipper all the way down and make a quilt out of it and should back down way more than the synthetics I have. Best part was the price: 149.00 out the door, no sales tax or shipping. I figure on my really cold winter trip I take car camping I will use this and bring along one of my other bags.

I have a new thermarest mesh cot that folds up nice and small and I will also use a thermarest pad on deck. Thanks for all the inputs fellas!
I have the 0*F version of this bag, have camped into the low 20's without issue. A good choice and priced right.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
I finally bought a new bag over the winter. I got the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 800. I absolutely love it. Extremely comfortable in cold and warm weather and I really like the sleeping pad pocket. It packs wicked small too.
it looks great! I may eventually make my way to that or a quilt. I just bought the thermarest cot so couldnt really drop any more into sleeping products!! Only concern I had was the footbox looked a little towards a mummy bag. I need more space I think. I wish someone stocked somewhere around me.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #18
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
I have the 0*F version of this bag, have camped into the low 20's without issue. A good choice and priced right.
Thats great to hear. Will try and report back after my trip in 10 days. Its May in the NC mountains so not expecting real cold but always know I tend to need more bag and ratings are inaccurate for the most part. I figure coldest temp is probably 40d. But one night on Mt. Pisgah campground and a clear still night and who knows.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #19
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Add a compression stuff sack to your sleeping bag setup, and you can pack it down even farther. My 20' down bag stuffs down to about 7" x 11". With a compression bag, I can get it down to about 7" x 7".
G
To the OP and others,

Remember to never store your bag compressed,especially down bags,it will be toast in less than a year.
Best to store fully unrolled and re loft it once a month,or use the often included storage bag and take it out for a re lofting once a month or so.
If your bag did not come with a storage bag,a big mesh laundry bag works well and is a lot cheaper than buying a "sleeping bag storage bag"

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

Yep, agreed on the bag storage. I have mine in large 40L bags. It would be better to lay them down flat under a bed.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #21
somethingnuw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Taiga sleeping bags... best down bag i've ever had and i have had 3... im an converting the family over slowly as needed
somethingnuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
the1mavin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
I finally bought a new bag over the winter. I got the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 800. I absolutely love it. Extremely comfortable in cold and warm weather and I really like the sleeping pad pocket. It packs wicked small too.
Did you get the 2-season or 3-season? Their specs say they pack to really close to the same size, but on the bike every little bit counts. How small are you able to get it down to?

Thanks!
the1mavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #23
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer

I got to use my bag in both warm wet weather and a one cold mountain evening and I used it opened up over a sheet. It worked great. I knew a down bag would shed the heat better than anything else. This Kelty I got was a deal at the price. I figure it will get uncomfortable around 30 degrees where your wishing for a little more.

I have to say I have the thermarest mesh cot and an older thermarest pad and the combo worked terrific!!! slept like a king

5 speed screwed with this post 06-02-2014 at 02:54 PM