Meet Up With Some Old Friends Today...

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Vinduroman, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was going to take a ride in the Ozarks today but tomorrow is obligated, meaning I would not be able to mow the lawn tomorrow (which was desperately needed.)

SO, I did the "responsible" thing and did lawn work first. That pretty much eliminated loading up and driving the 1 1/2 hours it would take to get to the area in the Ozarks I wanted to ride. (Was going to unload at Redding Campground.)

After doing the lawn, I decided to take a ride anyway. I didn't want to load and transport. Instead, I decided to pack up, suit up, and leave from the house aboard my trusty ol' XR250R and have myself a mini-DS ride.

My target area was to be forest access roads I haven't ridden in quite a while. Used to ride this area often until The Great Lockout took place. Not so much anymore. However, I wanted to see what was left, and if the roads were still something that I could comfortably take my wife over on her new CRF230L.

It was sort of fun blacktopping over to the area. I took backroads and side roads as much as possible. I did have to do about 1 1/2 miles of US hiway, though. In all, it was perhaps 7-10 miles of blacktop to get there.

However, once off the blacktop and back in my old haunt... it was sort of a homecoming. I say "sort of", because time and change has taken place. The gas well boom of several years ago has left its mark. There are new gravel roads that lead off here and there to gas wells. However, the upside is that the main arteries that used to be like forest roads are now like a mix of riding forest road and abandoned logging roads. It is obvious there is no more maintenance on many of the roads that used to be considered "main" access roads. Ruts n' rocks abound.

Really, it is still a great place for me to ride (though much more limited than it used to be)... but having my doubts about the wife getting over some of the places that used to be smoother.

Anyway, today's ride was kind of good... but kind of sad. Sad in that I kept seeing gates here and there and know firsthand the miles of good riding that was behind each one. It was also sad seeing that the logging companies have destroyed areas that used to be so beautiful, eradicating nice trails in the process. Good, though, in that what is there, is pretty much excellent for my type of riding.

Like MacArthur said: "I shall return".

OH... and here's some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In all, it was a fun ride, if a bit short. (55.5 miles.)

Vinduroman
  2. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Rode from your house? You are lucky! I have to ride about 35 miles of beans and rice fields to even get to the Ozark foothills (and that's what they are: HILLS). That is some great looking areas and it looks like you had a great ride!

Greg
  3. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    We was at Oark abt lunch time and I kept waitin for you and the Mrs to walk in..never saw ya..the place quickly filled up cruiser folk..when finished up and headed west on 215..target Warloop Rd...the wood pile I made last week is still there and from there, we crossed hwy 71 and rode Freedom Rd back over the top of Bobby Hopper Tunnel back to Winslow..and not one time did I see ya..oh well, maybe next time :D
  4. Vinduroman

Vinduroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Doc!

Sounds like you and the gang had a great time.

Really thought about trying to make the Ozarks (with the hope of hooking up with you all for a spell)... but like you read above: That dang "responsible" side of mine kicked in.

As for Honey Buns: The Grand Daughter (upper case to denote importance) is with us this weekend, so that took Sharon out of ANYTHING other than catering to the Grand Daughter.

HOWEVER... have you seen the advance forecast for next Saturday? Sunny with a HIGH of 72 in our region... ought to be several degrees cooler than that up your way.

Anyway, wife and I are talking a DS ride next Saturday, but staying around these parts. I think I can come up with a route from our place over to the Poteau Mountains (location of the above roads) then over to Waldron. I think it will be on about 60% dirt. (Dirt that she can handle.) I sort of think she'd be okay on some of what I rode today... but... it's too soon. She needs more miles in the saddle of her CRF230L on easy stuff for a while.

Vinduroman
  5. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nobody likes a showoff.

Great pics.
  6. Mister D

Mister D Peg standing idiot

Oddometer:
    Nice report and pics. :ricky:thumb
  7. Dragon43

Dragon43 If you insist.