KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Tygon is good stuff, I think that's what I'm running right now. That is a sharp bend, I made a small loop which also provided room to install a decent fuel filter. I have one loose tiewrap installed there to keep the loop tucked in out of the way. I have some 90 degree filters from just tanks but I didn't like their fit into my setup. I'd post a pic for ya but the topend is apart for a refresh :clap
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    $3500 seems a little steep (probably dealer premium) but for a pristine machine it's not too far out of line, needing sprockets I'd say $2800~3000 would be a bit more realistic. The loud mechanical sound at idle is often the idle being set too low combined with the metal skidplate echoing the noise back up to the rider. 1600 rpm is about what you want.

The '05 & earlier crankshafts had a tendency to spread when run hard and revved allot.

All the RFSs (exe, xc, xcw) are going to need a intake valve replacement eventually, when is determined by how hard the PO rode it. I've seen 480 hours with adjustment left, also seen <200 hrs needing it. Figure about $400 to have it done right if you pull the topend yourself, most riders opt to freshen the jug with a hone and new rings or possibly replace the piston and recoat depending on the condition so realistically it's between $500~1000. The RFS is a really durable motor when ridden correctly and not abused. There's a few updates required (valves) but once done, they're a really nice bike.

Ideally when buying one an '06 or '07 is preferred, cranks were updated to fix the spreading issue and there were a few handling updates, IMO the earlier versions are still great bikes but typically newer is better.
  3. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    Always some questionable things with used machines.

Art
  4. Mr.Dabalina

Mr.Dabalina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So no more 525s used as adventure bikes?
  5. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    oh they're out there mrbobdabalina

[​IMG]
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. Mr.Dabalina

Mr.Dabalina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent. So how many hrs/miles until a top end rebuild. I'm about to pull the trigger on an 05 that was bought new in 08. It has 36 non race hours. How have these rfs held up.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    They hold up very well as long as they aren't abused. The topend rebuild will depend on the POs riding style, anywhere between 200~450hrs, if he rode it hard, revved it allot. It'll be toward the bottom of that range. High revved RFS can also have an issue with crank spreading on the '05 & earlier models. If it was used as a sumo bike or has a hard life you'll probably want the crank checked when the valves are done. Replace the valves with Kibblewhite intakes and it'll be the last time it's needed, they are SS material and last a long time.
  9. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine has made 38 land border crossings along the Cambodia / Thailand / Myanmar borders in the last month (but I've got only one stamp in the passport for all those).

Does this count? Crossing back from Myanmar (far bank of the river) into Thailand the other day.

[​IMG]

.... and yeah, my ride report is waaaay out of date.
    Gryphus1 likes this.
  10. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    btw, mine, the ex Teamftb bike, is at 750 hours now. Struck an issue in bumphucknowhere, Cambodia recently, with a dead stator, but the Cambo's rewound it and got me mobile again

Before the rewind though, this one-legged guy gave me a push start (my knee is stuffed)

[​IMG]

... and here's Harri and I, after I'd had an off on the Death Highway

[​IMG]

Justin (Teamftb) was along for the ride too, on his new 500

[​IMG]
  11. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    That Death Hiway looks like a good time.

Im maybe looking at an 06 450 EXC tomorrow,its plated in CA.
    Claim of 118 hours and looks pretty good in the 1 pic.

Hes asking 4500.00 which seems a little steep but there are few to no plated KTM's like it for sale out this way.

There's also an 03 525EXC for sale with plate. 3600.00 OBO,looks good with a bunch of parts added I would have to buy myself otherwise,but,he has no idea of the hours on the bike.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:

Damn, getting push started by a one legged dude, that's new one. Sounds like he was a good sport!
  13. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Bigfella -

How does your bud like the Kriega bags? I was getting ready to purchase them, but thought I would seek out others opinions first. I have a tough time packing in my giant loop bag, prefer separate bags for ease of access to gear especially during the day.

Also how do you hook your GL bag to rear fender, just loop of webbing, or did you make (or purchase) a mount in order to keep the bag from sliding forward?

Thanks!
  14. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I'm relatively close to you with a plated '05 450 EXC if you want to check anything out prior to purchase. The folks around here know WAY more than I do, but I can show you what I got and how my deal went down if you like.
  15. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    I probably should let him answer that, but he's off on another ride today.

He doesn't like them and wishes he had his GL back. Yes, the packing is good, but his bag went through the back wheel, over in Cambodia. Not what you want when you are a long, long way from anywhere. Potentially disastrous. Something to do with straps failing IIRC

I wouldn't touch them in a million years after what I saw. They fix on and leave a bloody great buckle in the middle of the seat for you to sit on too. WTF?

Re the GL... I have a thin steel strap rack that hugs the plastic and bolts to the subframe. I had a subframe failure in Cambodia... but was two-up at the time, so can't be too hard on KTM.... and its now fixed and fine. I busted one of the frame bolts in this crash... and did a lot of riding, including the Death Highway before it was repaired. You can see a bit of the rack in this photo.... I'm laying in the ditch behind the bike, pissing myself laughing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    Great pics in the photobucket links!!!:clap
  17. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    So I got the big tank mounted finally!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the support bars I bent up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now also understand what everyone was talking about with the petcock hanging awfully low.

[​IMG]

My last deal to sort out is the leak that is coming from one of the hoses from the carb I mentioned a while back. It only happens when I lean the bike to the left. Is everyone still convinced that it's the needle?
  18. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BD only makes this new led for the 2008 and up bikes. Does anyone now if the 2008 headlight mask will fit on an 07?
    Or does anyone have a recommendation for better lighting?
  19. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Thanks,Im going to look at the 06 450 soon,with luck. The seller is pretty busy.
    All I can do is ride it,make sure gears are good to go,hopefully doesnt smoke or make funny (ha/ha) noises.

The 03 525 sold.
  20. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Bigfella. Great pictures. Reminds me of all those times I laid in ditches!

Well I guess I will keep my GL bag.

Did you fabricate that little rack yourself?