Would you prefer a street legal ATV to a DS?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Keithert, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been riding ATV's for two years now. I have a 97 Honda Fourtrax 300FW and my son has a kids ATV. This year I bought a Yamaha XT225 because I've been riding motorcycles for over 20 years and wanted a bike I could take offroad but also ride to the trails. But truth be told I like riding the ATV better. The problem with an ATV though is that, except in limited places, none are street legal. I would love a street legal ATV. Would anyone else prefer a street legal ATV to a dual sport bike?
  2. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope but you can have one in AZ and maybe some other states.
  3. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:

I hear quads are the fashion in all the nicest trailer parks ...
  4. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's golf carts!
  5. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    So, you want a 4-wheeled Spyder?
  6. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but on a smaller scale and made to take offroad.
  7. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    People plate their 3 and 4 wheelers all the time in parts of Arizona, and over the pond from us USA folk. It really depends on where you live though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best to check with local law enforcement and the DMV.

Me personally I'd prefer to be on something with more wheels, something that makes a bigger stance than a bike, but the bike works for now.
  8. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the current crop of side by sides should be able to be plated. Most places won't let you plate them as an ATV due to size or displacement but you can't put them on the road either so they are left out in the cold. They are no more dangerous on the road than a smart car and some make more power too lol.

As far as a street legal quad though, it would be nice to have the option but I've ridden on the pavement to get to trails and anything over about 30 MPH can get sketchy on a knobby tired machine.
  9. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    No desire to ride a quad, on or offroad. I don't own a farm, don't need one. And those side-by-side things are the worst, making our trails even wider.
  10. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I had a performance quad. 2004 Predator 500. It was fast as hell, but it rode like ass on asphalt. The solid axle in the back was not turn friendly. Though I realize that the agricultural style 4-wheels usually have differentials, they aren't particularly fast though. And I'm sure they still aren't particularly stable turning compared to bikes on the road.
  11. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Suzuki Samurai is the only thing that will fit that bill in all 50 states. Mine is exactly 5 feet wide.
  12. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Yes and no. I have a Polaris 6x6 for work on our farm and it is probably the second most used piece of equipment besides our wheel tractor.

It would be great to be able to plate it to make it legal to ride on the gravel roads out here and easily connect our fields.

It is also all day comfortable to ride. I truly wish bike manufacturers could make seats like most atv's have.

That being said though, I hate going more than 25mph on mine. It gets scary above that speed. I don't know if 4 wheelers are better at higher speeds but the 6x6 should have one of those slow moving vehicle triangle things on the back. It is not a road friendly machine.
  13. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This.

Parents have one for utility work around the ranch.

But the asshats at the OHV areas on their quadzillas with no respect for other riders or the land ... :flip

[​IMG]
  14. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    No.
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Mullets, double negatives, DUI's and many domestic arrests are the rage amongst Qaud guys.
  16. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is liscensed for use on the road, I normally hop on it to go to work or run to the store (both are much less than a mile), quick trips I don't want to fire up the diesel for or put on all my MC gear. I do have a Polaris 700, so it is independant suspension, and can reach 60mph.
  17. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    :stupid

Different tools for different jobs.
  18. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    Somehow I knew the candy ass dirt bike superiority complex crowd would troll into here.

Actually, no, not for someone comfortable with riding them. But generally the areas that do allow them to be plated for the road require DOT stamped tires, which are usually street tires or A/T tires. Anything bigger than a 350 has more than enough guts to get sideways silly, even on dry pavement with full on slicks (don't ask how I know).
  19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Back in Florida it would have been hard to see.

Here in parts of rural Texas, something like a Can-Am Commander would make perfect sense.

[​IMG]

Every small ranch seems to have an ATV.

In small Mexican towns you run across folks riding ATVs every so often. For that matter the traffic cops in Tampico used to have a few.

So yeah ... I could see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  20. Aghartha

Aghartha Idiot

Oddometer:
    How cute.