Would you ride as much in flat straight roads?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Motzilla, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, especially regarding the population hub. I live in a great area for riding, but when I drive in Manhattan, which is straight and fairly flat, I have a blast.

But if the urban center was surrounded by flat and boring, I'd only own either a scooter or a dirt bike.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moved from hilly eastern Ohio to flat central Ohio - I ride less, it sucks. I go east to find some fun riding. If I have to go in straight lines I may as well have a cup holder and some music. It sucks plain and simple.

We went to THE Springfield Mile and all I could think was how flat and boring a ride it would have been. We drove out and got to shoot the breeze. Count me out for flat straight riding. I'm just too spoiled by the winding back roads of the Appalachian foothills.
  3. MFJ

MFJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    welcome to oz :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2nd pic stolen from bully(for illustration purposes only):D
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    The things that prevent me from riding more have nothing to do with the quality of roads (which around here are mostly straight-ish). Any riding is excellent, even if by varying degrees.

John
  5. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm.... My Road King has a cup holder and radio, and a cooler fits nicely on the back.

[​IMG]
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. Bill_Z

Bill_Z Dude! chill,...

Oddometer:
    Yup, live to ride, ride to live. I can straighten out a twisty road and twist up a stright one.
  8. scarter435

scarter435 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flat, straight roads? It might be fun to try sometime. There sure aren't any out here...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
  9. Mistress of the dual

Mistress of the dual Some say....

Oddometer:
    +2 I live where lane splitting is legal. Riding in traffic on my DRZ with sumo wheels is a blast!
  10. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    Nope, no interest in riding the flatlands.

I'd either not have a bike, or stash a cheap one at a friend's place somewhere twisty to use on vacations and trips.

Doing laps in a state-sized tic-tac-toe grid just so I can be "out riding" does not appeal to me.

I like riding fun roads more than almost anything else.

There's a lot of stuff I'd rather do than ride boring ones.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Having to commute and doing it with an attitude that makes it fun is laudable.

Wanting to ride in a city if you had a choice is just plain strange :jump
  12. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No...
    It was the flat boring straight roads of south Florida that started my 10 year hiatus from motorcycling....I was so spoiled living in Montana and California...it didnt seem worth the bother to ride down here.

[​IMG]

and now that i have a bike again i hardly ride during the months that im down here. I always WANT to ride..but there is no place that I want to go within 12 hours ride.

i make up for it by riding for 3 months straight over the summer once i migrate up north.
  13. ScooterboyII

ScooterboyII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I will ride on a flat, straight road. And on a twisty mountain road. And on a gravel or dirt straight and/or twisty road. And on a goat trail to the top of a mountain. I just wanna be on two wheels doing what I do.:wings
  14. ShardPhoenix

ShardPhoenix Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'd still ride.

When I drive a cage I want the trip to be over NOW, even if I'm only going a few miles. Don't have any fun and I get surly. On the bike, it's the opposite. I have fun no matter what. One mile or a hundred miles, I'm entertained.
  15. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Make that 49,999 Kiwi's moving to an Aussie mining town this year. Love Aussie, but you've got to do something about those roads before I'd move there over.
  16. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with flat straight roads, you just need the right bike for it. A Harley is ideal. Anything with more than two cylinders fucking sucks. My Concours puts me to sleep on a straight road because it's too smooth and carlike. If the road is less than exciting, the bike has to make up for it with character of its own. A bike with a forward lean is also not that great for long straight roads, I prefer to sit back and relax like a human being if there are no curves nearby. There really is something great about cruising down a long stretch of straight empty highway on a V-twin cruiser, just enjoying the scenery, the air, and the smells.

Maybe for those of you who ride just for fun, straight roads are a deal breaker. I use my motorcycle for transportation. You probably don't ride in less than perfect weather either.
  17. Chris K

Chris K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even our motorways aren't straight, over here.

:rofl
  18. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guessed wrong. Rain, windstorms of every type, hail, snow, floodwaters up to the gas tank, hurricanes where no one else was even on the road. These have been some of the most memorable rides ever. Bridges out, good stuff. Mountain roads where a low side would be 1000' free fall, bring it on. Dirt roads, power line roads, muddy Jeep trails, sometimes no trails at all. I love any kind of riding, easy or hard.
    Long, straight and boring, not so much.

The difference is that real riding is fun, exiting or at least interesting, and long, flat and straight is not at all.

If I absolutely have to go there, and can't fly, I have a nice car for that.
  19. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    +10

I commute by bike everyday and ride for fun on the weekends. Some days my commute is 32 miles round trip, other days it's much more. Today for instance I'll be doing something over 250 miles. I also ride for fun on the weekends. If I lived in Flatistan I'd buy a Diesel Jetta and only ride for fun. I've been rained on probably 1 out of 5 days this spring.
  20. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer: