Montrose, Sidewinder

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by taosgsr, Oct 2, 2012.

1. taosgsr

taosgsr We are all earthlings… be nice to each other.

Oddometer:
    Hey Im looking for some info on the Sidewinder trail. Im thinking of riding there next week. Ive heard they have been making it into a loop? The BLM site still shows it as an out and back. Anybody know about the loop? Im guessing it would be around 40- 50 miles as a loop? Legal? any info would be appreciated
  2. ricker

ricker booger eatin' moron

Oddometer:
    It parallels Peach Valley road so you can make it whatever kind of loop you want.

3. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can make it a there and back on single track , great trail , when you going to be there?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z9_DDE8bm7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. taosgsr

Oddometer:
    Im trying to decide Im thinking either monday or tuesday. Most likely riding alone (even though my wife hates when I do) but so far no takers. Are you open for a ride either day?
  5. taosgsr

Oddometer:
    BTW----- KILLER video!:clap:clap:clap:clap
  6. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    Yeah I would love to , haven't ridden that this year .I'll see what happens in the next few days .
  7. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    Ride Red Rocks trail heading north, the come back on sidewinder, makes for a nice loop but you'll miss the last few miles of sidewinder unless you want to ride it out and back. I'm free this weekend if you are so inclined, I charge 2 beers for the full tour:freaky
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Nice vid, looks like a great ride.
  9. dougrender

dougrender Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer:
    That's 3 beers worth of value right there, now at the price of only 2 beers!
  10. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Now Greg, you know you are supposed to send all strangers that you never plan to meet in person the other way..North on Sidewinder south on red rocks:deal

Heard anything lately about an endurocross training area out there?
  11. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    You're correct, what was I thinking!! I call that the "Mann" loop! Not sure on the endurocross area, I haven't been out there all summer but it is starting to be that time again. Hope to see ya in a few weeks amigo.
  12. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "real" Mann loop is Amasa, Pritchett, BTR, Flat Pass, Poison Spider, GBR, Rusty Nail, Metal Masher, Gemini, Sovereign, Bovine, Juniper, Enduro, Guy's, Hell and back, half a beer then pass out.:eek1
  13. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    That's about 3 days worth for this old guy!
  14. singletrackslayer

singletrackslayer Legalize singletrack

Oddometer:
    Thats a real "mann's" loop. I'll be out there for the last week of october. :lol3 Peach Valley is too small, just a warm-up really.
  15. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgot, Hell 'N back in the dark! Crazy kids!
  16. taosgsr

Oddometer:
    Riding Tuesday, Parked/ camped on the south end arriving on Monday night. Blue taco with camper if anyone has a day off and interested in riding.
    Thanks for all the input.
  17. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    Sorry can't do Tuesday , have a great ride .:clap
  18. taosgsr

Oddometer:
    To start I must say that that is the nicest BLM staging area I have ever seen! I followed your advice?- North on Side winder South on red rocks. Sidewinder is a lot of fun lots of small techy moves and not many places you can loose your balance and get away with it. 20 miles one way, the group that built that deserves a thanks finding that route must have been many hours. After reaching the north trail head I turned east then south on Smith mountain road and followed it to the single track trailhead at Ute continuing south on red rock/ night horse. Im not sure witch but was right after bobcat or Duncan I thought the trail marker where the trail crossed the road indicated the trail was intermediate in difficulty rather than all the previous markers said Most difficult. I thought Great a nice stretch of some fun fast stuff, it immediately hits a series of switch-backs not real hard but i started to think that intermediate sign may have been misplaced then you crown the ridge-line to the east side and have a very loose tight uphill. I was not at all ready for that and with the dirt as dry as it was it took a bit to get up that sucker. The next section had that nasty "crux rock" at the top. I stopped believing in the difficulty ratings after that. I did bail out at the spike trail due to time and I wanted to ride in the free ride area for a while and follow the moonlight mesa trail. It was a good day, I didn't set any land speed records thats for sure but made it out in one piece without any injuries or mechanicals. Best was I found another great place to ride, thanks again for the input.
  19. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    yesterday should have been a great day, clear and a little cool, check out dry creek next time as well, it's on the other side (west) of highway 50, quite a bit of nice singletrack, just a little tricky finding it all.
  20. taosgsr

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will have to check that out. Yes the weather was perfect! being a weekday there was little use, I only ran across one mountain biker and one hiker on the trail.