The XR250R Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sixer, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    I searched but didn't find a dedicated thread for the lovely XR250R. No year limitation. I just picked up a nice clean 2003 XR250R. So far I'm really excited about it. It is the prefect bike for a n00b like myself. My plan is for this thread to be a place to chit-chat, drool, and index cool stuff about/for our little 250's. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plans for mods:
    1) Cyrca handguards
    2) Whipps bashplate
    3) Clarke 3.8gal tank

Future mods:
    1) Change the rear tail light
    2) Nice little rack
    3) Quiet her down
    4) Raise the bars/new bars
    5) Suspension set-up/stiffer springs
    6) ???
  2. sixer

Oddometer:
    Ok I'll be the first one to ask a oil related question. :deal To do a oil change w/filter change, I've read anywhere from 1.5L to 2.0L to refill. Also to drain the oil do you just remove the frame bolt or is there a bolt under the engine too?
  3. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    T-34 likes this.
  4. XRsteve

XRsteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's an engine drain plug too. You need to drain them both. The oil capacity (with a filter change) is 1.5 quarts.
    Brewster likes this.
  5. sixer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I need to get a service manual.
  6. sixer

Oddometer:
    So oil/filter changed, air filter cleaned, and I'm all ready to ride the local trails....its snowing. :cry

I'm still getting used to the starting procedure on this bike. I just got to remember to put the switch on the right setting. Spent 15 minutes kicking it over on the "kill" setting. :lol3
  7. XRsteve

XRsteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The procedure in the owner's manual says to hold the compression release lever and kick it over several times when cold. I've found that the 250s are harder to start cold than a lot of other bikes. And it helps a lot if you turn off the gas and let the carb run dry when putting it away. The only other advice I have for starting it is to kick hard. I don't bother using the compression release and finding top dead center.
  8. sonic reducer

sonic reducer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just for clarity, what are the differences between the '95 and lower, and '96+ bikes?
  9. sixer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice, pretty much what I've been doing. I miss how easy my DRZ400K was to kickstart.
  10. cedric

cedric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert on this material, but I'm pretty sure that almost every part changed from 95 to 96. It was a full redesign of the bike. Having said that, the overall result is quite similar. All of the bodywork is different, the suspension is different, the motor went from wet sump to dry sump oiling and I'm sure a bunch of other details I'm overlooking.

I'd have to think that the newer version handles better and has some more power, but in the grand scheme of things, an XR250 is an XR250 - these bikes have decent performance, are tough as nails and are friendly for beginning off roaders.
    T-34 and garwhal21 like this.
  11. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your jetting is right, kick it 5 or so times with the compression release in, then choke, NO throttle, and kick from TDC. My would fire every time this way. Once warm, it's a one kicker no matter what.
    T-34 likes this.
  12. valvecrusher

Oddometer:
    If ya'll ever get into the 84-95 RFVC XRs, XLs... I'll be back to chime in.

I deleted the photos, as per original poster's request to remain 96-04.

9-27-09 *edit* ok, someone said it's ok...
    [​IMG]
  13. sixer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll try this next time around. I'm not sure on the jetting. It runs great so I don't really want to fiddle with the carb.

Go for it, post away! This thread needs someone other then myself to be posting in it. I'll edit the first post to include the change.
  14. guesswork

guesswork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess I can't post here.....
  15. sixer

Oddometer:
    Post away, I changed the first post to reflect this. Seems theres just as many inmates with the earlier XR250's.
  16. Olas

Olas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's my '87, not quite a runner yet but it will be soon enough:

[​IMG]
  17. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    so whos got a bigger bore on their 96 on model? What size and how does it work?
  18. sixer

Oddometer:
    Got my new Clarke tank the other day. Finally got around to installing it today. All went smoothly till the petcock started leaking. Oh yeah and I smashed my thumb and bleed over all the place. :lol3 I got one leak stopped but the other needs a new o-ring.

Another thing I've been wondering about is does the XR250R and XR250L share the same frame?
  19. NC-Okie

NC-Okie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just brought home a well used 1984 XR250R. It has been in storage for a couple of years but looks complete just tired. It turns over and has spark but has had gas left in it and it has damaged the carburetors, yep the 1984 and 1985 models had twin carbs. Does anyone one know of a place to get rebuild kits or do I have to piece together the parts of a Honda website? I didn’t give this purchase a lot of thought and it might put my April TAT trip in danger of not happening now.
  20. valvecrusher

Oddometer:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-XR250-R-XR250R-KEYSTER-CARB-KIT-1985_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem380098786890QQitemZ380098786890QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    There is a beast named:

Keyster carb kit, by Sirius (something) on Ebay.
    [​IMG]
    There are single and twincarb kits...I don't have the part #s handy, but it claims to be an all inclusive kit...

orings, jets, bowl seals, the works..

They do have double kits for the twins, or singles also for the RFVC 250.

I don't have time to find your specific one, but PM the seller, i know he has them..