Day trip to Paisley OR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by taco250, Apr 18, 2009.

1. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    12 of the BendDualsport crew decided to do a ride to Paisley OR. Half would spend the night, the other will day trip it. We all met at the south Shari's restaurant at 8am.
    [​IMG]
    We took Ford Rd out through the BLM to forest road 23, then down 23 to the Green Mt lookout to see the view.
    [​IMG]
    We then motored into Christmas Valley OR to get gas.
    [​IMG]
    From CV, we took the famous FANDANGO CANYON RD south towards Paisley. If you like mile after mile of sagebrush, no trees, and a cattle guard jump that will kill you if you're not ready for it, this is the "road" for you. Somwhere along Fandango:
    [​IMG]
    After a lost brake caliper bolt from my bike and a flat on Jimzuma's Husky, we rolled into Paisley about 3pm.
    [​IMG]
    Three of us daytrippers (me, Jimzuma and Aaron) decided to head back while the others got a late lunch at the cafe. I ended up slabbing all the way home to Redmond OR (about 150 miles on a KLX400 stock seat!). My mileage for the day was 314.4 in 11 hours.
    Thanks for reading!
  2. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    I'm in. :thumb
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good day with friends having fun on 2 wheels! :thumb
  4. taco250

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed! We only had two mechanicals the whole trip: I lost the lower bolt that holds the front caliper to the fork and Jimzuma got a front flat. Jim had a spare bolt that worked for my brake and later I gave him a front tube to fix his flat. Jim had one of those mini 12v air pumps that worked really well for airing the tire.
  5. Juan Nacho

Juan Nacho Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Taco--thanks for starting the ride report and it was GREAT that you came to ride with us and AWESOME that you went with us all the way to Paisley!

The day started out cold, were were wearing cold wather gear and baklavas for about 2 hours!

Taco left out the pictures of the Red Head in Christmas Valley--I guess he's keeping the ADV Rider report scrubbed for the family edition. Regarding the photo below: This is all I have to say--Jim, where exactly is your right hand?

Anyway, as ususal, I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures, but I'll write a little.

So...we leave CV and hit Fandango, electing to take the lower route to the east, bypassing Aaron's favorite route from last year, rocky Upper Fandango Road on the west. We ride throught the northern most portion, which is slightly rocky and somewhat twisty, where speeds are about 30-40 m.p.h. There are some free range cattle that run across the road between the riders.

We stop and regroup at the intersection where we usually head to the south and east toward Lake Albert, and get word that Taco has lost a brake caliper bolt, but that repairs are underway. Stroup jokes that he was picking up my bones from the crash I had there last year on the way to Cedarville. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369729&highlight=cedarville

At the intersection, Greg has a 13 mile alternative route that will loop back into Fandango. We decide to take the new route, only to be befuddled by the map, three different GPSs and the time. We'd explore with more time and a smaller group, so we decide to turn around and go the original route.
    Now the fun begins! Greg takes off with Stroup second, and me in tow. The terrain is opening up to one of the best routes in all of Central Oregon. Speeds are picking up, there is little dust, and I see Greg along side the trail, giving me the go ahead sign, and I give chase to Stroup.

It is getting more and more open, just a few rocks in the road, mostly sandy two track. I can see Stroup ahead maybe a half mile ahead, and I wick it up. I am NOT gaining any ground. I glance at the GPS--74.7 m.p.h., and I'll bet Stroup is going faster than that. Riding simply doesn't get any better.

After 10 miles or so of this, we end up at our intersection where we agree that we'd just like to keep riding south (for days), but not today. Everyone arrived and Jimbo (KMA/Jimzuma) has a flat front tire on the mighty 610 Husky...
  6. taco250

Oddometer:
    FYI Jon, my report on BDS was edited by KMA (Jim) to include his pics and give me the credit... or the blame about the redhead.

I am glad I went to Paisley. Wish I were able to keep up better but my experience is too low and my fear factor too high to go as fast as you and Stroup. BTW, just got off the phone with Greg and he was telling me how bad he wants your 600 so be warned! I predict he'll be selling his DRZ sooner than later. The deciding factor was not being able to keep up with you on China Hat!
  7. StroupDog

StroupDog Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer:
    In, will post mine soon. Great ride boys, glad you decided to do the whole enchilada Stuart. :freaky
  8. gunnr

gunnr 1957 all stock....

Oddometer:
    More please :lurk
  9. Backwoods Boogie

Backwoods Boogie High Desert, High Mileage

Oddometer:
    My day starts with an early AM wake up call from Stroup. :snore
    Hello...
    Are you awake?
    Ummmmm...I am now.
    What? I've been up since like 4am. I'm dropping off the truck at Brad's, see you at breakfast. Cool....:dg

6:50am - I'm off to meet the group....32°F and frosty out. It's gonna be a good day!

Leisure Club at the FR23 junction....

[​IMG]

KMA & Juanito rolling up.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another couple of shots of the group from the Green Mtn. lookout...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fandango Road stop over....before the lower route to the east.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excellent ride boys. Great way to start the season!

Rolled back into the driveway at 7:05pm - 289 miles on my odo...

Looking forward to many more....:thumb
  10. kurtw

kurtw Child of the Wind

Oddometer:
    I can't write a ride report to do this weekend justice. But I'll try.

But first I have to say what a great group we had for this ride. I was really glad to meet some of you that I had not met or rode with before. No real dramas and lots of miles of fun riding with friends.

Everyone had their act together and ready to pull out of Bend bright and early. It was chilly but not so bad that it interfered with the riding. The route out of Bend got us warmed up a little bit.

[​IMG]

It's always good to know that someone knows where they're going. Our man with the plan, Greg.

[​IMG]

More fly-bys on the red cinder of Sand Springs (I think).

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

We had some snowy patches on along this road as we climbed higher. I was a little nervous about the decision to ride the big 640 on this trip beforehand. The snow patches were the only part of it where I was starting to get a little nervous. None of them were a problem but I wasn't sure how much more snow we would be seeing.

Green Mountain - John arrives on his cool XR600.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More...
  11. kurtw

kurtw Child of the Wind

Oddometer:
    12 guys on dusty tracks need a lot of space to spread out to let the dust settle between riders. Fandango Canyon had plenty of space! It was cool to watch the individual dust clouds rolling through the canyons and valleys.

[​IMG]

Cows and Riders

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flying the BDS stickies

[​IMG]

Seminar on Advanced Techniques in Flat Tire Repair

[​IMG]
    smilin jack likes this.
  12. kurtw

kurtw Child of the Wind

Oddometer:
    All-in-all, Fandango was a terrific route and had my favorite bits of riding from the day. I'll have to go back and explore some of the other tracks there sometime soon. The big 640A was a champ on this ride. As a matter of fact, I would almost say that this was a perfect ride for that bike. I really like the that kind of riding on it.

I think we hit Paisley around 2pm or so after logging about 150 miles of 95% dirt. Everyone had a late lunch at the cafe there. Those that were turning around for a return trip that afternoon were very conscious of the time of the 150 miles still to ride. The two groups shook hands and said goodbye.

For us campers, it was just a few miles down the road to Summer Lake Hot Springs, where our support driver, Dave waited with all our camping gear and more good food and beer than you could probably find in any other 100 sq mile chuck of south-central Oregon.

[​IMG]

We set up camp in a rush, eager to clean up and relax in the sun and soak in the bath house.

[​IMG]

Summer lake was funky. I liked it. It's uncanny how random places in the middle of the desert tend to attract the strangest assortments of people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a soak, dinner, and dessert, it wasn't long before I was ready for one of the soundest nights sleep that I've had in quite a while. Oh, Dave brought us desert.

[​IMG]

Morning was beautiful and the morning really lit up the snow on Winter Rim behind the lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We couldn't enjoy it all day though...still plenty of riding to do.
  13. kurtw

kurtw Child of the Wind

Oddometer:
    We backtracked up Fandango Canyon again. It was at least as much fun the second time as it was the first.

Plus there were lots of wild horses out enjoying the morning with us. I think I have more 'horse-power' but I'll be damned if I could get far enough ahead to get a good photo.

[​IMG]

Cattle guard, take two

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We ended up winging a fun route from Chrismas Valley to Fort Rock and then up to Hole in the Ground. I love those pumice roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Home

[​IMG]
  14. StroupDog

StroupDog Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer:
    My pics are pathetic along side Kurts, but at least I take them.
    Stuart, Erik, and Kurt rolling in on Ford Rd.
    [​IMG]
    Short stop to gather everyone for the homestretch to CV.
    [​IMG]
    Kurts smils says it all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jims looks says alot
    [​IMG]
    Gassing in the Paisley
    [​IMG]
    A little lunch action, big ass burgers, chili, salad, fries, yummmmm
    [​IMG]
    Hobo camp takes shape.
    [​IMG]

more....
  15. StroupDog

StroupDog Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer:
    Random pics, this trip was just what I expected from the route, made even better by the company of some great guys. We need to do it again with an extra day thrown in for exploring the Freemont during the day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CV in the background, my cam can't do justice to the beauty on this morning as we crested and put the finishing touches on Fandango. Kurt must be thinking? Erik busts out his best gorilla impression. Ha

[​IMG]
    More...............TOMORROW! =beavis
  16. kurtw

kurtw Child of the Wind

Oddometer:
    :rofl You're a master at catching people in the oddest expressions. The one of Jim changing his tire is CLASSIC too!

:clap
  17. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Great report!
  18. StroupDog

StroupDog Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer:
  19. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip. Taco, I shoulda come. Rats. Remind me to listen to you more :D Great pics.

I was hoping it was a heading East route (*) but I see it was pretty much SSW.

(*) Friend and I are thinking of leaving our bikes in Bend and riding to Pullman, WA (Wed/Thu/Fri) get there Fri night. Return Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed. Thinking NE route from Bend to get us towards Enterprise and a South route back from Pullman (towards Steins) then West back to Bend.

Anyone got any route recommendations? Nothing too gnarly. Thinking early June. Better, GPS tracks.

I'm either gonna bring my 625SXC or 450.
  20. Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report....

I've heard lots of war stories from my wife Patty about that area....Seems back in the days when she was a student at COCC in Bend, she had a class that required a couple field trips out there to look at Rocks...:D

We both miss the area....Can't wait to get back soon for some riding.....

Bill