TomTom Navigator Horrors

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by MertDog, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Jekyll77

Jekyll77 GS, what else ?

Oddometer:
    My experience with Tomtom Rider 2 : mounted for 3 years on my '07 1200GS, with majority of roads, few tracks, but no real off-road.
    One day, the GPS and its mount collapsed, and I'm glad that I secured it with the little strap. The 4 nuts which are included in the plastic casting of the bike-mount were distached, and the bike mount was just useless.
    I replaced the nuts with bolts and nuts + hard glue.

2 months later, the GPS ran out of battery, even when the electrical cable was connected... In fact, the power did not go through the bike mount.
    I decided to buy a new mount on tomtom.com, but it was out of order. The Tomtom hot line gave me an uncredible answer : this mount is not reliable, the best is to ask your motorcycle dealer to adapt wires to connect directly to your GPS... F...
    So I decided to do it by myself, and to proceed with disassembling the bike mount, which is in fact not designed for being repaired nor disassembled. I removed the bloody electronic s... that failed, and will power the GPS with a normal 12V wire which is designed for the car mount.
    I'll post some pictures to better explain.
  2. Jekyll77

Jekyll77 GS, what else ?

Oddometer:
    the bike mount with its new bolts and nuts

Attached Files:

3. Jekyll77

Jekyll77 GS, what else ?

Oddometer:
    same one from the inside

Attached Files:

4. Jekyll77

Jekyll77 GS, what else ?

Oddometer:
    This is the mobile part, once it is disassembled. Note the electronic staff, easy to understand why it's not reliable.

Attached Files:

5. Jekyll77

Jekyll77 GS, what else ?

Oddometer:
    I have made an adjustment on the mount, so that I can open the "door" and get access to the power socket

Attached Files:

6. Jekyll77

Jekyll77 GS, what else ?

Oddometer:
    Here is the GPS connected. Of course, it is not to be used on rainy days, but it's still better than nothing. Remember that it is not possible to buy a spare bike mount... Thanks Tomtom !

Attached Files:

7. Jekyll77

Jekyll77 GS, what else ?

Oddometer:
    This bike mount really sucks.
    Need more details, more pictures, more bike mounts :puke1 ? just ask
  8. donrolandofurioso

donrolandofurioso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my rider 2 as part of a group purchase; a total of five Tom Tom were bought. I did not use mine for a while, as I knew I was going to switch bikes soon, I did not want to install the 12V cable. So I charged it through the wall charger every night in the hotel; if you stay on main roads and have it shut off after every intersection, it can last a full day of riding - or driving in the car, as mine has been mostly used for...however, I have to say that so far even the heaviest rains have not bothered the tomtom, even when on the bike (no fairing).
    One of the rider2 immediately had problems with the MC mount: the charging pins received no power although power went in through the cable. Unfortunately my buddy is one of those people that immediately crack out the screwdriver and go to town, so he voided his warranty right away. He now charges the GPs through the USB port or the 110V port.

from beginning on I had problems with mine regarding the bluetooth feature. To start with, even I have two helmet speakers that came with it, I only hear in one speaker. And then, 90 % of the time the GPs does not want to work with my Motorola. It takes the call, but when the Scala wants to transfer the voice, the tom tom disconnects again. I went to the scala booth during the Indy GP and talked to a person there that actually had worked At TomTom during the development of the rider2. And he had the same cell phone as me! But even he could not figure it out, even though he really tried. So a few days ago I tried to update the GPS in an attempt to solve this issue when all over sudden I realize that it does not get charged when the USB cable is connected. A quick call confirmed that all my buddies' do, so something is wrong with mine (updated but not charged). Going through Tom Tom's convoluted website, I send an e-mail describing my concern. Today I get a response, indicating that they understand that my battery gets empty in 10 min, although it takes five hours to charge...WTF? I never said that, where did they get that from?
    After writing the same sentence twice immediately after each other, they concluded that maybe I don't know how to charge my GPS and give me a link to read how to charge my tomtom...idiots! oh, and here is the best one: "some GPS devices do not charge the battery when connected to the USB cable." That sentence basically doesn't say anything; thank god I know mine should. So now I have to respond to them again within 72 hrs or they drop my complaint....Thanks for nothing so far!