dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. capcrazy

capcrazy what, me worry?

Oddometer:
    finito'd. either those maps aren't very accurate, or they are just too big to fit properly on a curved earth model. I thought about chopping each one up into fourths, but screw it. they're good enough to navigate by.

also, for anyone who's interested, I found this site that seems to have all the MVUM's for Colorado done up as GeoPDF, GeoTIFF, and kmz files.
  2. tijuana

tijuana Farkling Around

Oddometer:
    Could ya'll get in touch with Skully helmets :deal and get your maps built into their H.U.D. ? :clap I plan on getting one of those.
  3. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Hey Crafty, I know that you've been busy with a bunch of other things, but hoping you, or perhaps one of the users, can shed some light on an issue I am having. I have downloaded a custom high contrast render.xml file, hoping to make the OSM maps more usable during the day. I copied this to the rendering folder, and it shows up under Settings/Map Appearance/Vector Renderer. When I select it, I receive a message that states "Renderer was successfully loaded." Nothing changes on map screen. It's as if all of the stuff is in place, but it continues to render using the default renderer.

Any ideas? None of the other built in renderers have an impact on the maps either.
  4. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    I don't have the code in front of me, but I think I may have disabled that functionality.
  5. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I've got some playing around to do, I recently downgraded my data plan, and would rather run in offline mode much of the time, but the OSM rendering looks like crap on my phone, in my opinion. The yellow and orange roads are too difficult to make out much of the time, and highway and road names are very cluttered a lot of the time.

May have to see if I can cache mapnik or google maps and run with that.

Thanks for the quick reply!
  6. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    Any update on the site yet ?
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I am currently time constrained. I'd still like to see it get done but I'm short of human resources at the moment to do it.
  8. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    I know you have been busy with the motobrain and all just figured id ask .
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Motobrain only consumes money, just of like dualsportmaps.com
    I've got to actually acquire money too. Damn reality! It would be nice to have a wealthy benefactor who likes what I do and provides for my lifestyle and expenses but that system disappeared a couple hundred years ago.
  10. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    I've got a quick question for the collective wisdom here.

Always before I've just precached areas where I want to go exploring and haven't really followed gps tracks.

I'm planning a trip where I want to use the feature to cache the map around the tracks. I've never tried that before, so I watched the video showing the basics.

The problem I have is that to cache the tiles around your track, the video shows hitting the search button, then selecting the track around which you want to cache, and then hitting the settings button on your phone.

My phone (moto X) and my tablet (nexus 7) don't have the search button. I've tried to play around and see another way to access the little menu that gives the option to "cache selected map tiles," but I can't seem to find anything.

Sorry if this has been gone over a bunch before, but how do I cache the map tiles around a selected track when I don't have that menu button on my phone and the menu button within the app is covered up by the search results screen?
  11. capcrazy

capcrazy what, me worry?

Oddometer:
    have you entered your DSM login info in the app settings?
  12. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The search button is the magnifying glass at the top.
  13. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    It's not searching that's my problem. It's when I search and want to cache the tiles around a selected track. On my phone and tablet there isn't the little menu hard key like on some other phones, so I don't have any way to hit menu and cache those tiles when the list of available tracks is up.

And yes, I've logged in.

I can access this feature on my old phone that has that menu button always present on the phone, I'm just wondering if there is a work-around for the newer style layouts that don't have the menu button and I'm just missing it. It's probably something really obvious and right in front of my face and I'm just looking right over it.

Thanks.
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    3 stacked dots upper right hand corner is the new menu button. This is a standard android convention.

15. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    Right. But those three stacked dots aren't available because the search box covers them up. Even on my phone where the search dialogue box doesn't completely cover up the menu soft key, it doesn't react to a keypress.

One second, let me take a video to show what I mean.
  16. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to embed the video.

Here is a link. Sorry for the poor quality video, it's from my phone.
  17. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. You need to go to the "Main Menu" then click the "search" button (top right of the 4 big buttons). Then use the stacked squares. I used to use the software the same way as you. Android 4 made that impossible because the dedicated menu button disappeared from the phones.
  18. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhh, there it is. Thanks for the help. I knew it would be something simple like that where I just had overlooked it.

thanks again.
  19. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what do you search for on android to download the app dual sport maps came up with nothing on my galaxy...but i am not tech savy at all

Thanks! great idea!
  20. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I took it off the store. The website was broken by Google and I didn't think the value proposition was there without the website working well.