Accessory power strategy - feedback sought

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Curvesurfer, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Curvesurfer

Curvesurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm considering the following strategy to add some accessories to an '08 GSA and am looking for feedback as to whether it's feasible:

1) Wire GPS and Valentine to factory
    GPS power jack located near steering column using the BMW repair plug adapter (p/n 83300413585) and SAE connectors. I don't mind my GPS running on batteries for a few minutes at gas stops.

2) Use the Powerlet iCAN harness to replace the factory CANbus harness to the stock accessory socket, then use this socket for heated gear and battery tender.

3) Use the now-free factory accessory socket CANbus harness to power an Autocom*.

* Questions:
    a) Is the CANbus harness sufficient for powering an Autocom? Or do I need to wire it to the battery and use the harness wiring to run a relay?

b) How do I make the connection from this harness to the Autcom? I assume I can cut off the end to access the wires that used to supply power to the accessory socket? I could always replace this harness if I screw it up I suppose.

Thanks in advance!
  2. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend running your autocom through a relay on the positive side and run the negative "directly to the battery terminal". This solves a lot of potential noise problems. Autocom can draw quite a bit of power if you are powering a Kenwood GMRS directly through the autocom. Keep the autocom wires "clean" and dedicated. I've spent many hours chasing noise problems until I isolated the autocom and ran the ground to the battery (not frame etc). This is how autocom recommends it also.
  3. John Harden

John Harden Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hard wired my Zumo directly to the battery so that it won't shut off or ask me to select battery power every time I shut the key off. On some riding days, I may stop or pull over 20 times or more to chat with riding buddies, take photos, get gas, take a whiz, snack, drink some water, etc. I'd rather not have to futz with the GPS for short stops.

For lunch stops or the like, I just shut it off.

Mine is mounted on the upper windshield cross bar right where I cans ee it and in a year, I've only forgotten to shut if off once. Given how little current draw it has, it did not run down the battery during the 12-16 hours it was pulling power from the battery. I know folks who have left it on accidentally over a weekend and been fine.

My .02 anyway.

Regards,

John
  4. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer:
    +1 If it is a Zumo then just leave it powered at all times. Minimal current draw and a lot more convenient than having to acknowledge the shut down each time. FYI, I added an SAE connector to my Powerlet accessory socket in the beak and just connect the Zumo to it. If I need/want another accessory up front I just use an SAE Y-connector.

Powering the radar off the canbus makes perfect sense since it boots quickly and isn't required when the engine isn't running.

-jeff
  5. Curvesurfer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I can go either way with the GPS. I use a GPSMap60c not a Zumo, so it transitions smoothly from external power to batteries. I turn it off anyway at lunch stops, so unswitched power may have little benefit for me. Then again, direct-to-battery power may be easier than running to the factory GPS power socket, so I may go that route.

I would definitely run the Autcom ground to the battery. So the only decision left is whether to use the accessory socket CANbus harness as a direct power source or as a relay. The former is easier, the latter perhaps more robust. I don't plan to use it for bike-to-bike, but one never knows.
  6. Babo

Babo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds complicated. You'll be adding many point of failure as well as expense.

Why not just install an aux. fuse block and be done with it?
  7. Curvesurfer

Oddometer:
    Well, I started by considering the need for a socket for my Gerbings that won't trip the virtual CANbus fuse. The Powerlet iCAN seems like the right choice so I can use the factory accessory socket.

After that, it seems reasonable to take advantage of power ports already provided by BMW: the GPS socket and the now-free accessory socket CANbus harness.

My Autocom is somewhat bulky so I'm also trying to avoid the claims on space under the seat (such as an aux. fuse box).

Expense is not a significant factor in the context of a $20k motorcycle, but you make a fair point about simplicity.
  8. bodybomber

bodybomber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep reading about the factory gps socket. Is that the blocked off 2 wire connector under the beak?
  9. QED

QED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you live in the bay area, your real close to Ozzies in Chico. They solved my accessory problem on my '05 GS with a 30 dollar harness. What a great excuse to visit Sierra Nevada Brewery. They are a great shop and understand the problem.
  10. TurboCharger

TurboCharger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also found the 'harness' mentioned at BMW Santa Cruz
    http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchan...&Store_Code=BOSCC&Product_Code=611277ACC_WIRE
  11. tmgs

tmgs ...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer:
    N. E. Georgia, Space Coast FL.(sometimes)
    sound like too much.

I added a fuse panel, relay powered off the factory aux power circuit (which was approved by my dealer so as not to effect the can bus system) for everything except the heated gear which is powered right off the battery. I have a dual fuse relay which one side is powered all the time and one only when the relay is engaged, I wired my gps off the side powered all the time, all my stuff is up front excepot for hte heated gear plug, I made a wire harned to run from the battery to the front of the bike so there is only one set or wires running up front to power all the aux components

just to get an idea of what all is on the gs here

[​IMG]

Attached Files: