Best Bear Gun?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by skysailor, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    That Scout scope is medium eye relief, if you've never tried one it's pretty quick for target acquisition, I also use weaver quick release rings so its very easy to go to the ghost ring sights.
  2. Kubla

Kubla Long timer

Oddometer:
    what is the barrel length on that shot gun, looks shorter than the 18 inch US minimum length (without the class 3 license)
  3. John E

John E Long timer

Oddometer:
    explain the reason why alternating between buckshot and slugs is a good idea?

I've seen it recommended many, many times and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

If I need a slug why in the world would I be loading a round of buckshot in between what I need to stop the threat?
  4. morerpmfred

morerpmfred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Canada we are not restricted to 18 inch barrel lengths on pump action shotguns as they are in the states. My pump action shottie looks the same and it has a 14 1/2 barrel length as it was manufactured that way. It is legal for hunting as well.
  5. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    We did a trip out to York Factory from Lake Winnipeg. The bears you are dealing with out there are polar bears. There are a whole bunch of things you can do too try and deter a polar bear, but it pretty much it came down to a 12 ga with slugs. Even at that you are probably just going to convince it you are not worth the effort, hopefully.....
  6. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    Yeah one good thing about our gun laws:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hQtcGRisLPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:

+1

:nod-- A short as legal 12 gauge. For AK consider one like the "Marine Coat" ones. Or have it sprayed with a weatherproof coating. Put a big dot site on the front and you are good to go for not much $$.
  8. Jurgen

Oddometer:

For some of the new uber expensive aimpoints the battery life is years-- on.

I want one, but just can't wrap my head around the price. :lol3
  9. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Think I'll go with a short barrelled pump 12. Bird shot for "lunch" in survival situations. Small enough to pack IN a backpack. Really like the flare capabilities. Don't like the pistol grips though. Tried one and my right wrist was hamburger for two days! Again, I don't hunt.
    Lyle
  10. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:
  11. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:

No no.... Out in Hudson bay. They hang around Churchill and York Factory.
  12. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with you completely. Maybe these folks are shooting at multiple zombies. Buckshot for those about to bite and slugs for the ones just coming over the wall?

Carry the correct ammo for the target you expect. Tube magazine pumps are easy to reload on the fly so carrying other types of ammo does make sense if conditions change.

As one poster mentioned don't go too short on barrel length, slug loads use slower burning powder. 18" is a good practical minimum. Try some loads at dusk in different barrel lengths; a big flame indicates lost velocity (powder not burned in the barrel).
  13. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
    Ruger 10/22 Yep I said it because A1FA isn't here to spread his knowledge on how the .22 is the ultimate rifle round.

I would go 12ga smooth barrel. Slugs, buck shot, bird shot, target it will shoot em all.
  14. mr. matteeanne

mr. matteeanne Bender can pass him

Oddometer:
    From all I have heard there is pretty much no such thing as shooting an attacking grizzly? Your as good as dead? Anyone ever successfully done it? How many have tried and failed?
  15. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    I recall a recent story, Idaho I believe. Kid hunting with his Dad and another adult. Kid slightly apart from the adults. They here a shot or two go and investigate and find one live teenager, one dead bear. IIRC it was with a 44 magnum revolver.
  16. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    And here is another:

[​IMG]
  17. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=6025
  18. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    God had nothing to do with it. You made a point of packing the .454. God didn't. Neither did your dog. That's one really big bear though.
    Why do people always thank God?
    Lyle
  19. Jurgen

Oddometer:

Skysailor-- let's keep the religious stuff in CSM please-- becomes heated quickly.
  20. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry 'bout that....good idea. Another time...over beer. CDN beer!
    Lyle