Garmin Worldmap

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by MoustacheMan, Jul 3, 2010.

1. MoustacheMan

MoustacheMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found out today that my Garmin mapsource software came with maps of main highways in central and south america and no maps for citys or anything else. if I buy worldmap how detailed are the maps? does worldmap give you maps of citys?
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an older version (2005) of WorldMap and no street level detail in C America or S America. San Jose, Costa Rica shows 2 highways crossing and a railroad and that's all. Less road detail than the US base map Garmin includes on it's units.

Newer versions may be different.
  3. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:
    http://www.elsinga.net/map_wwbmap3.html

The Routing does not work with some newer versions of MapSource, but it's free and at least you can try it out.

It works fine on my Zumo550, with MapSource 6.13.7
  4. MoustacheMan

MoustacheMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I will buy the new version anyway I hope it is as detailed as that map of switzerland in the link. City Nav 09 (what I have currently) is 1.5 gb, so I would need to get a new micro SD card too.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    World Map v4 has NO City level map detial. If you want maps of Central/South America, I recommend GPSTravelMaps. If they don't have a map you need try Open Street Maps.
  6. paulhdick

paulhdick Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The World Map is pretty useless for Costa Rica. Roads can be over a mile off and in some cases just plain wrong. First few times in that area in 2006 I used maps from http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/ (which is free) ... they are not routable but much more accurate than the World Map from Garmin. I also used a large high resolution paper map with it which helped a lot to verify I was really where the GPS told me I was.

Was down in Costa Rica in 2008 and used the map database from http://www.gpstravelmaps.com which is excellent. Actually very necessary as they don't use real street addresses in many places in Costa Rica (and other CE countries). An address in San Jose might be something like 100 meters north and 250 meters east of the Coca-Cola building ... but the Coca-Cola building was renamed to something else 20 years ago!!! Many folks don't even know the actual name of the street they live on so a GPS map database with pre-installed waypoints is invaluable!!

GPS Travel Maps has most of Central America now... :D