Gloves for subzero weather

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by W4lnutz, Nov 8, 2012.

1. W4lnutz

W4lnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for info on Gloves that will keep my hands warm in negative 30

I rode the other day with two pairs of gloves on at 70 mph and the weather just standing was 39 so the air on the bike was around -25 and my hands were numb I ride year around and at night this year so i was curious

what Gloves are out there that have stood the test of the weather.

electric gloves have terrible reviews so those are out!:freaky
  2. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
  3. W4lnutz

W4lnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:

I emailed them thank you

as far as mitts go what kind would you suggest and I am not particularly sure I know what mitts are and thanks for the fast response :freaky
  4. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. W4lnutz

W4lnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL wow I didnt think it was literally that LOL

I am such an idiot sometimes:deal
  6. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will need the Hippo hands and good winter gloves
  7. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use fur lined leather mittens for skiing in temps down to -25 celsius, but i found them just too awkward on the bike. Rukka makes some good winter gloves for bikers, fairly steep in price though. I haven't tried hippo hands, they might be the go.
  8. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fall and spring riding with my insulated gloves and grip warmers on full, my hands get cold. Same weather with the hippo hands and light or no gloves with the grip warmers on low, toasty warm. Take an extra minute to make sure there is no air getting through where they wrap around the bars by stuffing something like a rag in there. Also, once you're riding, keep your hands in there. You don't want to be trying to get to your controls in an emergency and miss the hole.
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    -30°F? I'm guessing that's not what you meant to type. I lived in Northern MN for a few years, and it only rarely got that cold. You don't want to hardly be out in a car at -30, let alone on a bike. If anything happens and you go down, you'd be really screwed.

Hippo Hands are priceless. If you're serious about -30, I'd go Hippo Hands with heated gloves and heated grips.

What I've worn for the past few years is Hippo Hands, my summer gloves, and heated grips. Been good down to about 20°F, which is about as cold as it gets in this region. My hands won't be warm, but they're not so cold that I can't tolerate it.

Ugh. Just re-read your post. You're talking about wind chill? That only applies to exposed skin. -30°F wind chill is nothing like -30° ambient air. I'm not saying the wind isn't cold, but on a bike, you don't dress for the wind chill. 39°F air with a -25°F wind chill is not sub-zero weather. :lol3

Jamie
  10. SthrnRomr

SthrnRomr Southern Roamer

Oddometer:
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I use a pair of snowmobiling gloves and they have work for me in temps down into the thirties and I am a puss when it comes to cold weather. :lol3
  12. W4lnutz

W4lnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NO standing or ambient air was around 39 I was travieling from one town to another and at 71 MPH it knocks the riding temp to around 0 to negative 25 I have no windshield however I think I may be getting one now wind chill applies to more than exposed skin when YOU ARE RIDING IN THE OPEN AIR!!! lol I bet northern MN is pretty cold though in the winter, I was riding at night when I got that cold although it will get that cold during the day.
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I have absolutely no problem with regular winter motorcycle gloves and heated grips on my thumper down even when it is sub-freezing. I also have Cycra bark busters which further deflect the wind. I was raised in California, so I certainly am not a tough buy when it comes to cold.

I personally would look toward ways of of dealing with it (wind deflectors, Hippo Hands, heated grips/gloves) before going to any type of really cumbersome gloves. Honestly, 39 degrees isn't all that cold even at speed. You just need something to augment your winter gloves. I prefer heated grips, but Hippo Hands are certainly just as effective.
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you read that on the internet?

Mine are 12 years old and wonderful. The only time they failed to work was after a dog chewed on the cord... And that was an easy fix. :1drink
  16. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have used handle bar muff,s on my bike before and found they work well with heated grips but you will need to wear thinner gloves or your hands my not fit under the muff,s well/ plus cut holes in them to fit mirrors.
  17. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    read the -30 degree and did a double take... your op is somewhat confusing.

for 39f degree riding .. my preference is heated gloves with heated grips. pre-heated clothing days, used multi-layer gloves that nested into a mitten with separate index finger. I've done lots of riding without heated gear down to 20f degrees. rode an old 73 HD Superglide... let's just say, I was the only motorcycle on the road in those temps.

have not tried hippo hands yet... need to find the original hippo hands made by Craig Vetter.
  18. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used heated grips and snowmobile gloves. Hippo hands are a must if I go more than 20ish miles.
  19. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So riding in 39 degree weather. :deal

I noticed that riding 75 mph in 9 degree weather, with Olympia winter gloves on and grip warmers on high, my fingertips get painful after just 20 miles. In 39 degree weather I could ride for hours.

Keeping the wind off of your gloves (hippo hands, to some extent hand guards) helps a lot, so do electric gloves. I have heard great things about the Warm'nSafe gloves, as well as Gerbing G3 and T5.
  20. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a second I thought you were riding in actually cold weather, 39 degrees isn't very cold. I will 100% disagree with your remark about the heated gloves, they're amazing.

For my first season of winter commuting I used the tusk bar mitts, heated grips, and winter gloves. I've since switched to Gerbings T-5 heated gloves, sometimes my hands get too hot though...don't you hate that? Last winter I commuted 100 miles a day 5 days a week, temps dropped down to the single digits at times(not factoring in wind chill), and I was always comfortable.