1968 r60/2 us

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by URAL CT, Sep 11, 2014.

1. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy folks. Need help on identifying an aftermarket ignition system. I've owned this bike since new, & back in the 80's I installed an aftermarket plate/point system using regular car points & condenser (GM or Ford). I can't remember the fellow that built it & have since misplaced the installation instructions. I'm in the process of getting this '68 going, it starts & runs but need to check the points & set the timing. That's another process I need help on. How to time the ignition using a timing strobe. If I'm not mistaken, the timing is adjusted by adjusting the point gap vs rotating the plate while the motor is running. There is an adjustment screw (allen head) to adjust the point on the fly...right?? Thanks for any advice on this.
    Cheers,
    CT
  2. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
  3. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Bill... Thank you very much for the link.:clap :thumb It sure opened up a wealth of info regarding my '68/2. It jogged my memory as to the point plate I had installed...Pentacom. Now the search for a GM point & condenser set. I can finally finish tuning the motor.
  4. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another question: the flywheel on my '68/2 has 4 markings. "F" (below a line), "S", a line without notation, & a line with "OT". What is that line without notation used for? Thanks for an info. It has been a long time since I did any maintenance on this R60. I prepped this bike for storage in 2008 & just now resurecting this jewel. At my age, my memory is not as keen as what it used to be :(:
  5. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    "F" is the Full or dynamic advance. I'm not to much up on my /2's, but on the /5 and later the "F" mark should be centered in the window at 3000 rpm and above with a strobe light.

"S" is static advance, the advance ay idle or below (not running). That is where the timing should be set statically, or the marks should appear at idle or with a strobe light.

"OT" is "ober-somethingorother" and means TDC (Top Dead Center).

--Bill
  6. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is that line between the "S" & "OT" used for? The BMW /2 books, Chilton & Clymer repair manuals I have & the BMW Instructions manual have no mention of this let alone provide an explanation of what that line is for. Just curious cuz I know about the other markings but this one is a puzzle for me...yet, I colored it red in the past. I must have known about it but nowadays Mr. Al Z is always around me. Hell gettin' old :gerg
  7. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much oil do these 2 sections take? Info I have is: 6.8 oz for the swing arm & 5.1 oz for the FD. Followed these recommendations & they both overflowed. I don't have the original owners manual but got the info from "Bench Mark Works" that I printed back in 2005.
    As far as I can remember, which is a stretch, the FD oil is full when the oil level is at the bottom thread of the filler opening. The swing arm is full when it is like .2" from the top of the shaft. Dunno if these are correct. I'd like to know the correct measurements if someone could please share the spec. Thanks!!!
  8. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Check correct level of your swingarm by removing the 14mm bolt just forward of your Final Drive. Insert a plastic coffee stirrer in there until it bottoms out. There should be approx. 1/4" of 80 -90wt. oil in there. Do not overfill.

You are correct on filling the final drive to the viewport. Try to use GL-4 80-90Wt. It is kinder to the non ferrous metals in the rear drive than the GL-5.

There are 3 markings on your flywheel. F with a line, S with a line and OT with a line. The lines are the correct indicators and the letters just tell you which is which. The lines on the flywheel match up to a line on the case on the left side of the hole. With the bike running, you will be matching the lines, not the letters as you see them with the strobe.
    OT is generally used for setting your valves.
    S is for static timing and using a timing light.
    F indicates full open throttle and can only be seen with a light.
  9. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There's a faint post script that says to use points and condenser from any GM V8 from 1958 to 1974.
    Tell them it's for a 1973 Chevy Impala 350.
    Nowadays they're making that points/condenser as a single unit. It doesn't fit. You'll need the separates.
  10. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks danedg. All great info...copied & filed.
    CT
  11. JimGregory

JimGregory Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the F stands for Full Advance.
  12. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, 'nother project on this /2. Just got the new fork boots from Bench Mark Works & will be installing 'em this weekend. Any quirks I need to be aware of regarding the installation? Suggestions appreciated.:ear