Alaska, just Alaska, pics!

Discussion in 'Photos' started by BigTexasOne, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Close... it's actually back in B.C. But since they're our close neighbors, we should be able to allow it. :lol3

Nice shot - how about if I post it a little bigger to better display your talent -
    [​IMG]
  2. cakmakli

cakmakli Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer:
    Alaska has some beautiful roads.

[​IMG]
  3. marakesh express

marakesh express Dream Maker

Oddometer:
    Say's it all about the Dalton I guess:D Took that shot in 09 on my old 1100 and returning next year on the 1200 to get it properly dirty. It's a long way from England but a hell of a ride:wink:

Attached Files:

steadfast likes this.
  4. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang!
    Thanks. It is a darned pretty spot and in my defense, to get there by reasonably passable road you do have to drive through Alaska.....:lol3
  5. SnoozeRat

SnoozeRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Denali Hwy
  6. SnoozeRat

SnoozeRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When were you there, Alcan? I've lived there a couple times (70's, 80's, 90's). Few years out at Herring Cove, still my favorite place in all Alaska.
  7. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Lived there '57 (when I was 18 & fresh out of high school) to '60. Still think of it as my hometown.
  8. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    A couple of trips down to Valdez this past week, so I'll post one photo from each trip.

Beautiful weather Friday, and FLARider1 and I got to enjoy it in Thompson Pass -
    [​IMG]

Wednesday XC Rider and I made the round trip, and the skies cleared a bit on the way back north -
    [​IMG]
  9. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth

I don't think WOW is a big enough comment..........keep it up, I'm lovin it!
  10. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:

Your name isnt really Johnny Johnson, is it? :evil
  11. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    At first I thought you were talking about "yohhny yohnson from visconsin" :lol3 Had to do a Google search to find out about my fellow Alaskan who is a professional photog. Wish I could do half as well.

But... here are a couple more of my feeble efforts. Some samples of the hundreds of waterfalls, large and small, lining the highway on the way to Valdez -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition, hanging glaciers aplenty -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Mudflaps

Mudflaps Northward

Oddometer:
    Recent Alaska pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was fun visiting Alaska.
  13. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Hey Alcan Rider,

You shouldn't be so modest with your chronological seniority (advanced geezerhood). I think it was more like '27 when you were 18 and fresh out of high school. :rofl

I'm adding a few photos to show off some of Alaska's stunning scenery.

Atigun Pass - Dalton Highway - Memorial Day Weekend 2010. One of these KLRs wouldn't start so I helped push start it, luckily only having to exert myself enough to push it downhill. :D

[​IMG]

Chandalar Shelf area - Dalton Highway - Memorial Day Weekend 2010. The haze in the background is from a massive wildfire. To me this photo epitomizes why we love ADVenture riding!

[​IMG]

Denali (Mt. McKinley) from the south side - Petersville Road - late September 2010.

[​IMG]

Mt. Foraker (left) and Denali (right) - from the south side - Petersville Road - late September 2010.

[​IMG]

Lookie here - if you visit Alaska at the appropriate time - you can take advantage of a great sale: Ladies Pants 1/2 off at Alaska Leather! (I have absolutely no recollection of who posed for this photo....) :lol3

[​IMG]

Denali - a view from the north side - outside of Cantwell - Sept. 2008. This was the first year I started riding and I spent four days (solo) riding, camping and hiking on the Denali Highway. I loved it!!! I traverse the Denali Highway every fall as the views of the Alaska Range (and Hayes Range) are incomparable, especially in the fall.

[​IMG]

Another view of some of the fantastic fall foliage visible along the Denali Highway, which basically parallels the southern side of the Alaska Range (and Hayes Range). Now my DR has lots more "farkles."

[​IMG]

Alaska is awesome in the winter as well. In this photo I'm saying "Welcome to my big back yard - the Chugach Mountains!" My friends and I ski and hike up passes and ski and/or hike down, depending on the gear we have on and the snow depth.

[​IMG]

This photo was taken near the top of Eklutna Peak, also in the Chugach Mountains, right outside of Anchorage. I glissaded (slid) down this really steep slope and the "pucker factor" was sure in effect!

[​IMG]

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll post more later. Come on up and ride, or ski or hike, with us! :D
  14. Lerxstdawg

Lerxstdawg Wait...what?

Oddometer:

Wow. Just Wow.
  15. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker

Oddometer:
    Oct 2010 near Moose Pass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Mebbe instead of dancing this weekend, you should keep an eye on your tent. Might even want to stay up all night to make sure the tent pegs don't pull out and let the tent collapse on top of you. Just a friendly warning from a fellow camper. :evil

That is "stunning scenery"?? :puke1

:lol3

Hmmm...:hmmmmm that butt looks familiar. Seems I've seen it spread across the seat of a DR as I've followed it for many miles - from a safe distance.

:rofl

Now to get back to the subject at hand. An oft-photographed scene about 30 scenic miles from Valdez -
    [​IMG]

The Valdez Pipeline Terminal, for those Haul Road riders who would say they have been from one end of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline to the other -
    [​IMG]

Closer to Fairbanks on the Richardson Hwy, on the north side of the Alaska Range, the evening sun provides nice shadow detail to the mountains -
    [​IMG]
    LDRcycles likes this.
  17. swannie

swannie scooter tramp

Oddometer:
    near Portage, AK

[​IMG]
  18. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Byron Glacier. Excellent shot! :thumb
  19. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a little video I made----some if it on the way to Alaska.

Excuse my bad Bear Gryls imitation :D:D

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qxj7NVG3KxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A
  20. 1reddawg

1reddawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    AWSOME Video Big Dog!!Living the Dream!!