The TAT Preparation Thread-the logistical side of it

Discussion in 'Americas' started by leftystrat62, Dec 13, 2012.

1. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At what point does a bike become "big?" Im going to be hitting the TAT on a DR650 and I have 5 months experience in the dirt (over 10 years on street tho)- to be honest im not really scared of whats coming so long as I make good choices (gearing, packing light, etc). Im not a big guy or super strong either- maybe im just ignorant and ill get a reality check? :lol3

I read a report about a young guy with like 3 months experience who did the TAT on a DRz400s. He had all kinds of trouble.. with the bike. It seemed his riding skill wasnt as much an issue as his bad luck. Great report though- he wouldnt give up. Thoughts on the relativity of "big" here?
  2. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a GSA, and have ridden some very challenging trails that were truly dirt bike trails with it. After a while I slowly stayed away from those trails because I knew(from experience) I'd be in over my head,and just not enjoying myself. I've now added a WR250R to my stable and very really turn around,and enjoy myself more in the tuff stuff:D
    I think only you can decide what's "big", but from everything I've read & seen,someone with your years of riding experience should have no problems on a 650.
  3. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I had MANY years of road riding before setting out on the TAT, and limited time off road, but luckily with some good riding companions and coaching was able to complete the complete TAT on a DRZ 400. I was prepared to go solo but luckily I was able to go w/ two other riders. While I might have made it by myself there were some areas where this might not have been wise for my ability. If solo my riding skills wouldn't have improved as much as they did with coaching from the two others. In my case having two others was a safety issue to and gave me the confidence to attack certain places more aggressively than if solo.

IMHO- a novice should be on a DR650 (it's a smallish bike) or smaller, like a DRZ400 or better yet the WR250.

See my link below.
  4. oldtrucks

oldtrucks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll know when you have to pick it up a couple of times :D especially when you do it alone several times in succession
  5. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    Please guys, stop mentioning the WR250R:lol3 Ive been wanting one ever since I first found out about it.. after buying the DR650.

I like the DR650 though- it doesnt ever feel heavy to me until I have to turn it around in loose sand. Ive practiced picking it up the right way and it isnt a challenge- even dropped it in a mudhole (on purpose of course :augie) and had no problems. Im used to street bikes that are 500+ pounds, so it feels like a mountain bike to me.

Anyways, well see how things go. At this point im planning on doing the Arkansas-Utah portion of the TAT, part of the CDT, and then part of the Pacific Coast Highway before I head north to Alaska. I might cut out either the CDT portion or the PCH- I dont want to cram too much in one trip. Thoughts from you experienced folk?

It definitely seems like bike preference and setup is hugely variable to the rider. Theres a guy down here (bzrider) who rides a GS like a dirtbike and even the experienced guys talk about it being a wonder to see how he throws it around.
  6. stuntheavy

stuntheavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So those thay have done It/ doing/end stages of planning: what was your budget at for the trip? Given the unexpected breakdowns, I'm curious to see if my budget is on par for the entire TAT, mostly camping.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Sludminger

Sludminger Show me the dirt

Oddometer:
    We're planning on between $2,000 and $2,500 (food, gas, accommodations, maintenance - barring any major catastrophes). Our plan is to go total hobo style, as much free camping as possible, oatmeal, bagels, pepperoni and cheese... and some beers! Shipping tires, filters, etc. to a buddy in CO (not included in our budget).

30 days, VT - WA via TAT, return via roads (something like Route 2 or less) about 8,500 miles
  8. oldtrucks

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on $125 a day for fuel, food, and lodging. That's a mix of camping and motel, food on the trail and food at restaurants.
  9. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    :clap Sounds like a nice trip- good total for a good mix of everything. If I could do about this amount, I would.

I personally cant afford that as the TAT is just a portion of what im doing. I am going to be gone essentially all of spring, summer and fall, so im leaving my total at about 60 dollars per day.

I dont really have a set plan, but I would guess ill be doing about 1 tank of gas a day, or about 250 miles. Some days will be more, some will be 0, but overall that leaves me about 35 dollars for food and camping per day. I will mostly be eating canned goods from walmarts and gas stations and sleeping in my tent especially when I can find free camping. I can then buildup "extra money" that I can blow at restaurants or for admission to parks and all that. I have emergency funds set aside that arent planned into my monthly available, so I can change my mind at will. I can ride all day on my DR, but I am told that 200-300 miles is a good amount to shoot for per day so you still get to see a lot while also not burning through the miles too fast.
  10. oldtrucks

Oddometer:
    Our trip is just the Western Section from Colorado and we plan to stop a few nights in Colorado and Moab. This is really our annual vacation so some nights we'll be roughing it, others will be a little more comfortable. I had to sell it that way to get a couple friends to jump in.

A few more years and I'll have more free time and be able to embark on a longer ride like yours.
  11. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If someone chimes in on their costs,can you also comment on actual prices paid for camping. Here in New England it's usually around $21 per night at a tent site that has bathrooms,water,and usually NO showers.
    I'm figuring: $25 gas,$22 sleeping (that's 4 nights pay camping @ $20,2 nights free camping, one night motel @ $80)Hopefully lot's of free camping west of OK to balance things out. Planning on $35 for food & water per day. So I'm figuring $80 per day X 32 days= about $2500
  12. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Op:
    When are you oing to ride the TAT?
    Are you riding or trailering to TN?
    Which bike?
  13. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread. I'm graduating in June and plan to work until early August and head out to Shawnee, OK where my gramps is and start there. Is there anywhere besides here I can hook up with people to do the entire trip with? I enjoy riding with slow old dudes, I'll be on my XR400.
  14. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahem...
    That's gradual geriatric gents :deal
  15. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah but I can't go too old, I don't want to be changing your bed pans while we're camping.
  16. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if that question was for me? If it was, I'm leaving this Aug from R.I. on my WR250R,then ship it back from OR.
  17. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the q was for you. Your trip will likely be the best reference I will get before my trip in 2014. I look forward to your feedback on the WR and other preparations. I hope to ride with one or two other similar sized bikes. I'll be on a WR or my KLR250. My plan is to trailer to TN, ride the whole TAT west and either ship back or sell in OR. If I take the KLR250 I may be changing bikes mid trip. We'll see! :eek1
  18. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm having a moral dilemma and I need some counseling here. I'll be doing a round the world trip in a bit less than 2 years, the TAT is a kind of test of my will for the trip. I plan on doing the big trip on a DR650, which I don't own yet. I do own an XR400. I'm tempted to buy a DR650 asap, and I'm wondering, do I do the TAT on the XR400 or the DR650.

It's basically an argument of light weight/kick start/reinforced subframe but still limited luggage capacity vs. heavier/electric start/better luggage capacity
  19. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a nice DR650 for sale here on FM. If your test of will is the TAT, maybe a test of bike is in order. Perhaps it's better to discover that you like or dislike the DR before you embark on the RTW.
  20. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's one that is fully prepped for a RTW trip I found that the owner is holding on to for me when I visit socal in two weeks. The price is pretty good and when I told him what I was going to use it for he said he's holding it for me until I come check it out because he believes in the cause.

Where would I find this one you speak of?