Need help with Trials Helmets

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Charla, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    Raising him right I see. :lol3

I'm big fan of Pacifico. :freaky

[​IMG]
  2. Kevin C

Kevin C XTZ 750

Oddometer:
  3. averagejoe

averagejoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually cant remember. I will search for it though.
  4. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
  5. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    I remember that spot! :clap
  6. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    I finally broke down and picked up the G10 (going skiing tomorrow so I figured that was a good excuse :D). I wasn't able to find an XL and I've come to the conclusion that they don't make it in that size. I went with the size L and it fits me very well. It's extremely light and comfortable and I think it will be just the ticket for trials riding this summer. :ricky

[​IMG]
  7. deminimis

deminimis I Eat Glue

Oddometer:
    Good ol' Gonzaga. Sad to see the road paving is doing well.
  8. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you do run across a source for a Shoei trials helmet and decide to switch, FWIW I have a Shoei RF-11 in small and the Shoei trials in small fits great too. I got it last year from Lewissport, sorry to hear it's not being carried anymore. Perhaps it seemed to be at a higher price point than most trialers wanted to pay??? :dunno But the Shoei fit perfectly and, let's face it, I have enough trouble dealing with reality with my brain in its current state, let alone after an up-close-and-personal with a rock, so I like to protect it as best I can.

hope you enjoyed your ski day!
  9. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    A little thread resurrection never hurt, does it?

I ran a search of the both the board and the interwebs and came up with a few data points:

1. Hebo, stuff is made for smaller people, also shape is not round
    2. Shiro, very round
    3. Wulfsport, round like Shiro (according to the Canadian importer)
    4. XCITING, may not be roundish

In the interest of making data available for future readers and people who might be looking for a trials helmet, I'm going to keep adding my findings:
    5. Nau, not entirely round,

I felt that it was a little longer front to back than side to side; Stacy (sp?) at RYP told me that the helmet would feel tight but that it would pack in a little (people had actually bought a larger size that was more comfortable, but later became too loose when it packed in). The Nau had an even pressure at the front and around the sides, but the pressure at the bottom rear of the helmet indicated to me that there would be a pressure point at that spot (at the base of your head). If your head shape is just slightly out of round, this may be the helmet for you. I think that the cue-ball trick at the pressure point may have done the job of making this helmet wearable, but I chose to return it and continue my search.

Next stop, that elusive Hebo mentioned in #1 above.
  10. wilkinsonk

Oddometer:
    In the interest of the next person who comes along looking for a helmet recommendation, I hope this is of at least a little help.

As stated in my previous post, I wear Arai dirt bike helmets, namely the VX-Pro and XD (both share the same shell shape). I tried the Nau, but found that it was more for a round head. That is to say that the dimensions front to back were very similar to the side to side. The Arai helmets I mentioned are longer front to back than side to side (a intermediate oval is what they call it.

From their website:
    "INTERMEDIATE OVAL
    (Shorter front-to-back and a little wider side-to-side than the Long Oval). This fit package begins the shift from oblong towards round."

[​IMG]

Arai offers the Penta, but none of their literature indicates what shape it is. The Arai Japan website seems to have a lot of information on this helmet, but you must be able to read Japanese to understand it (any volunteers?).

Enter the Hebo. I just got in the mail a Hebo helmet that I purchased from another Inmate on the trials flee market. While it does not feel exactly like an Arai (and how could it be expected to?) the fit is good. For a size referrence. I wear and XL in Arai. This Hebo is an XXL. Those Europeans must have small heads?

I also tried on a Wulf Sport helmet in L and the fit was pretty good, no pressure points that I could ascertain. If I had not been able to get this Hebo, I might have picked up a Wulf. The price is very competitive there.

Never got around to ordering a Top Fun from RYP. They were out of XL when I had ordered the Nau. I was going to order both and return one of them. The quality on the Nau was there. The finish was beautiful! The fit just wasn't for me.

Well, I hope this is in some way helpful to the next person looking for a helmet.

Ken

Oh, and by the way...
    :fyyff
  11. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    Nice write up. :thumb
  12. bac9i4mo

bac9i4mo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hm, i do trials for 3 yrs and i just don't get the use of pure trial helmets. Like LCNMRIDER mentioned, they got no frontal protection and aside of that they simply look funny :asshat
    First two years i've been riding trials in MXhelmet. True, it is heavy and my neck been bent a bit too much several times at some rough landings. It was pretty unexpected and sometimes painful. But damn, it saved my face so many times!
    Then i decided to lose some helmet-weight and got myself a downhill helmet! Knowing at what speeds these DH guys ride in forests i believe DH-helmet has great protection for trials. I got myself a "661 Comp 2" helmet recently. Its weight is about 850grams - that is 2 times lighter than lightest MX-helmet. It also doesn't obstruct my view at all. And don't worry about your head looking oversized - DH-helmets are much smaller than MX, you aint gonna look like an alien.

Dunno about regulations, i do trials in the city :p
  13. wilkinsonk

Oddometer:
    Post a pick and let us see how your nugget looks in your new helmet. As another alternative, you could always get a football (American style) face mask and affix it to a trials helmet. All you would need is one like the punters wear. :ear

While I think that these DH helmets offer better visibility than an MX helmet, still not as good as a trials helmet for visibility. Protection, yes.

[​IMG]
  14. bac9i4mo

bac9i4mo n00b

Oddometer:
    Man, i simply can't see my helmet шhen i шear it - it's the max possible visibility :p
  15. Bent_boot42

Bent_boot42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would revive an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I have been sweating like a goat in my helmet lately... A friend who I ride trials with wears a Down Hill mountain bike helmet and I want one. His doesn't have face protection but I would like to get one with a VERY small chin bar.

This looks PERFECT but a bit pricey:
    http://www.mountainbikebitz.com/urg...t-archi-enduro-racing-white-2012-p-16327.html

This is an example of WAY to big chin-bar:
    http://www.xsportsprotective.com/azonic-kamikaze-venom-fullface-helmet.html

This is what buddy wears (no face protection):
    http://www.xsportsprotective.com/urge-dirt-o-matic-helmet.html

Anyone have any ideas?
  16. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I've been using a 661 Comp Shifted downhill MTB helmet for a while now (6-8 months). It was inexpensive and feels to me like it offers more protection than the open-faced trials helmets. I've hit my face on the triple clamp and the ground hard enough to make no chin bar not an option for me. Vision seems good to me but I've never ridden with an open-face for comparison. The field of vision is much larger than on my standard MX helmet. It's light and well vented. I'm a happy camper.

[​IMG]
  17. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I recently got the same 661 helmet. It is vented pretty well, very light and cost well under $100.00. It feels as sturdy as a Trials helmet to me. I really don't like the chinbar but visibility is very good and it happens to fit my odd shaped head pretty well (size XL). I wouldn't call it all day comfortable but I think I can finish a Trial reasonably comfortably.
    I just have to remember not to spit while wearing it.
    [​IMG]
  18. sprinter 27

sprinter 27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fwiw I would point out its smart to buy a helmet with a removable liner.after a few rides they stink. Cheaper helmets rarely have that though,so sometimes its worth the upgrade.
    I will recommend urge mountain bike stuff,super light,removable pads and fits well.
  19. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    For helmets with no removeable liner, simply take them in the shower with you and wash inside with mild shampoo. That said, my head must not be stinky, as I've never really had trouble with helmet funk. I do store them in a well ventilated area - not in a bag.

My riding jersey on the other hand.......
  20. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got this helmet from the Splatshop in the UK. Right around $100 shipped. Took about 2.5 weeks to get it. I really like it. It's an XXL and a little snug, but after riding today it's already breaking in some.

[​IMG]