2005 Zuma Questions

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Kalsy, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Kalsy

Kalsy n00b

Oddometer:
    Alright, I just bought a 2005 liquid-silver colored Zuma from a friend who needed some quick cash for $800. It was a good deal in my mind, only 2500 miles on the beast.

I live on a farm and plan to beat the shit out of it so I don't really want to spend money putting new exhaust and such on it. Is there anything I can do to give it a little more 'oomph' and a more badass sound without buying parts? It feels a little bogged down with my 200 lb complextion when it accelerated and only gets going about 40 top speed because of my tall 6'4" body resisting the wind.

Any quick fixes or tune-up tips would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. siliconmonk

siliconmonk Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    thats a really good deal ! That guy must have been either really stupid or really desparate. Whatever you got yourself a really good reliable scoot.

If you want more performance your going to have to do the mods or just accept its stock limitations. :lol3
  4. Sloppy

Sloppy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $800? :eek1

I spent 4 years looking for a Zuma in that price range and found squat. I was looking for a thrashed 90s model for that much, and you got a sweet 2005. What a steal, congratulations!
  5. AMM Mystic

AMM Mystic AMM Tri-Comm Member

Oddometer:
    Not much you can do without spending the money. Spend the cash and get the pipe. It won't do much for your top speed but help a bunch on your acceleration.

Call Moped Hospital. They know thier stuff and don't try to oversell you.
  6. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    It's easy to find a complete "bolt-on" 70cc kit on ebay, less than $100 . My friend has one on his Zuma. He said it took only about an hour to install. We both used Zumas as pit bikes at Barber. My stock one was crazy slow compared to his, especially on uphills. He also has a Leo Vinci pipe/silencer. I think he said he can cruise about 50mph. You can use the same piston/cylinder kit and add a stroker crank and get 80cc out of it. You can also do some clutch mods and get a bigger carb. The Ohlins tech at Barber had one of their shocks on his!!!
  7. sakeman

sakeman n00b

Oddometer:
    Yea, the 70cc kit was cake and under a hundred. Just the cylinder and changing the jetting will give you a bunch more grunt (relatively speaking). There is no replacement for displacement...
  8. AMM Mystic

Oddometer:
    Hey sakeman, have you done any plug checks. Are you running lean at all from just upjetting and not installing a larger carb? Where did you get the jets for the stock carb? Local dealers say they can't find larger jets.
  9. sakeman

sakeman n00b

Oddometer:
    Yamaha has jets, they just don't show them in the parts catalog. A 2003 Zuma shows a main jet size #80 as 14T-14343-40-00, but no other sizes. If you look up part #14T-14343-41-00, it is a size #82 main. I've done this for the Zuma, a TTR, and a few others. You just have to look - Bikebandit.com is a good place to check numbers. I'm running a BPR9HS, mostly short trips and the plug is nice and tan. Leo Vince pipe, stock weights, stock airfilter.
  10. AMM Mystic

Oddometer:
    ^ Thanks, much needed info. :D
  11. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Sakeman you are the king of Yamaha knowledge, you must work for them :rofl
  12. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy that has done EVERYTHING to his Zuma. 70cc kit, pipe, carb, re-gearing, etc. The thing does a true, no-shit 70 mph.
  13. sakeman

sakeman n00b

Oddometer:
    I knows Yamaha's and catfish, and cool guys drive turbo diesels. But the only true kings name is Kenny :grinner
  14. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

Yeah, I dig Kenny Rogers too.

I love that Gambler song/movie!
  15. sakeman

sakeman n00b

Oddometer:
    Is he that yodelin' fella? Rides a KZ400?
  16. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Dont' wanna steal this thread however you guys seem to know the Zuma pretty good.

Just a quick question about fluids. I needed to do my first gear oil change yesterday. I didin't have any special gear fluid but i did have, and used a BMW Syn gear oil 75-140. I did use the correct amount 110cc or 3.7oz.'s. Can I hurt or will this effect the perfromance of the gear box ?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Hp
  17. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    I used some synthetic gear oil I had for my truck, should be ok since the book only calls for standard stuff.:dunno

I just ordered a Leo Vince pipe with springs and rollers and a set of carbon fiber reeds from Team Calamari.

They have quite a bit of stuff listed on their website including a jet kit.
    nice folks,the lady taking my order said the have two Zumas at the shop.

$800 for a 2005 Zuma!!!??? dude, you got a smoking deal.:ricky