10/31 Chumstick Mtn snow free!

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by ADVNCW, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    This afternoon I rode up Eagle Cr pond single to Chumstick Mtn 5800'. Just a few patches of snow. I went down Swakane and enjoyed the remaining fall color. Forecast shows rain, so should be rideable through the weekend in the area!

Last week I was hiking and jogging trails in snow awaiting Skidoo and skitour season, but it now looks like a few more dirt rides are possible! :D

Fall color two weeks ago- no camera today-

[​IMG]

The high mountains are snowy, so the views from up top are nice:1drink
  2. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update. Looks like I might not need the snow chains this weekend.
  3. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. Looking forward to your next report:D
  4. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    Warm weather and rains melted all the snow on the far east slopes between Leavenworth and Wenatchee. Today I went again from my Leavenworth home up Eagle Cr., Eagle Pond singletrack, cut some logs, then up to Chumstick Mtn. Down Chumstick into Swakane Cr. to enjoy the solitude and fall color. Back up to ride the single on the ridge above Nahaum then across to the top of Eagle Cr. and back home. Seems strange, I should be skiing, but today was enjoying a nice fall dirt bike ride!

Eagle Cr. above Leavenworth WA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eagle Pond singletrack had some blowdown that I worked around yesterday. I decided to bring the (hand saw) misery whip and take care of it today. Not bad, about five minutes each for these small logs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This log was across in September. I spent about an hour hand-cutting it! I did not want to haul my Stihl that far up and back, figured I could hand cut it quickly. Wrong. Better than going to the gym, pulling on a crosscut!
    [​IMG]

The top of Chumstick was in the clouds. First view was toward Cashmere, above Hay Cyn and Tibbets Mtn.
    [​IMG]

Down into Swakane Cr. Nice! On a very old road, an area that has evidence of few people.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aspen and Western Larch. It is interesting to see the Larch in this valley at such a low elevation.And close to the Columbia R. But cool!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    most excellent
  6. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotta work Saturday, do some catching up on chores Sunday, and hope to hit that area Sunday afternoon. It's right across Highway 2 for me; the south end of Nahahum is about a mile from where I'm sitting at home.

1911fan
  7. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    :D Yes, nice country!
  8. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    Yessir, nice there right now:clap
  9. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    And, I still haven't had a chance to ride me new (to me) XR200... I want to take it across the trail you so thoughtfully logged out, and up Mission Creek, etc. Since I bought it and got it fixed/rideable, the local area's been on fire or closed or both, and then I was sick ten days plus, then it was elk season, now it's bird season and time to put the four lazy GSPs to work, and it's already snowing.......
    Dammit! Gotta ride at least once more before it snows too much!

1911fan
  10. michaelyogi

michaelyogi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics.
  11. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    XR200, nice. Ran into a rider on one, full sized mature guy, on tibbets Mtn last summer. He really likes the 200, complained of his larger famous-brand nice ADV bike as tough on trails.

I think my little dog 230L was derived from the 200.

Yea, head up Nahaum before it gets slimey again:D From 200 yds above (Right) the intersection of Derby/ Nahum find the track through the brush / meadow down into Swakane Cr- where the photos are taken. When you come out on the curve, go left and cross the creek, then right.:1drink
  12. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Yogi. Hope you got that 310 sorted out.:ear
  13. michaelyogi

michaelyogi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think I did... gotta' have coolant in the overflow...
  14. 1911fan

Oddometer:

Yeah, I recognized the area from your pics. I've ridden the KLR through a few times, tried it on the 990 once. Pretty sure it's doable on the Dakar, but I think it'd be funner on the XR200. Decent grouse area, but I've seen damn few grouse this year.

Gonna go elk hunting today, last chance for a fat tender spike. Had to work yesterday.

1911fan
  15. EntiatRider

EntiatRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey ADVNCW. I was going to ask why you carried that big 'ol handsaw when you can carry a foldable handsaw, and then I saw the CROSSCUT. Yeah, I get it! Good idea. I use my Gerber Bone Saw, which is super aggressive, but not like your saw. I might have to rethink my tools I carry. I'll be up that way this afternoon on my XR650L. Been a great few weeks of riding after the roads were opened back up. I made it just shy of the peak of Mt. Baldy on thursday on one of the dead end roads and I actually saw some K-60's tread. I couldn't believe someone was up there on an expensive bike in all that brush. I could be wrong, though. I've seen K-60's on KLR's and TwoMotoKiwis have them on their DR's. Hope to see 1911 or you up on Entiat Summit Road sometime before it snows again up there. Funny how we are all just on opposite ridges and have to read about what we are doing, eh?
  16. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:

That is a 32 inch crosscut. One can cut efficiently with it. I carry it walking, in a backpack on the MTB, and on the motorcycle. For small stuff it cuts quick enough that I do not feel like taking the Stihl.

Yea, have fun, I am working for a few days:D
  17. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    Good luck on the spike!:1drink
  18. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Great riding ADVNCW. :thumb
    You always show me a good route.
  19. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned