V Star 650 Classic Touring Budget Build W/PICS

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ben2go, Jul 21, 2013.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    BACK STORY AND CATCHING UP.

May the 16th 2013,I officially owned my 2000 Yamaha XSV650A V Star Classic.I picked it up on the 15th of may and rode it home.On the ride home,I noticed a lot of issues the PO failed to mention.It ran like hell!That's OK tho.I got it for a song and a dance.If I'd been allowed to test ride it,I'd got it for a song or walked.No matter.AFter putting 20 miles on it on the ride home,I sorted out what I needed to get the bike right.All the maintenance being done and tuning up would put everything back right.That was first order of business.I stripped her down,rebuilt built the carbs,adjusted the valves,all new filters,new sparky plugs,changed the final drive oil,changed engine oil, and lubed the cables.Then I tuned and adjusted the carbs until near perfect as I could get.Still she just wasn't right,so I pulled the carbs,tossed that damn flimsy heat shield out the door,rejetted and tuned her in perfect.For those that need specs.

3.5 turns on the mix screws
    stock pilot jets
    #95 Mikuni main jets (up from #90)
    I didn't shim or move the enrichment needle clips.

I did upgrade to iridium sparky plugs and all full synthetic fluids.

With that out of the way. (Easy bike to work on just FYI encase there's a curious cat around.) I moved onto making the bike comfy for me.I adjusted all the controls,handle bars,and windscreen to my liking.I like the look of my bike so I won't be changing the basic bike,just farkling and upgrades.

My main focus for using this bike as a tourer is safety,comfort,and easy of use in mostly that order.Ease of use can sometimes increase safety.Earlier tonight I finally committed to my first mods and farkles.My girl friend has been following me through the mountains (yep,she's a stalker) and giving me feedback on how visible I am under certain light and weather conditions.It's kind of hard to see my little tail light.More importantly,I have a 20mph speedo inaccuracy.WTH!I gotta solve that.So far it's looking like the first safety upgrade will be a new speedo_Oh well,back to trying to spot my fat ass in the dark as mountains.I only have a small little stock tail light for cages to spot.So I have decided to turn my rear signals into 3 way lights,stop,turn,and tail.I thought this was going to be a massive undertaking until I found the proper information.Luckily my front signals are two way,running and turning.I'll be upgrading to LED bulbs.I don't want to change the look of my bike,at all.So I found http://carl.krall.org/wordpress/motorcycle/how-to-make-a-2-wire-bulb-display-brake-and-turn-signals/ that explains how to do the mod and even goes so far to show how it's done along with parts and supplier.I contacted the relay supplier and it looks like they are $3.10US each.I am awaiting my total for enough to do two bikes and have spares for traveling.I think $25 will be my total.I also bought red lenses to replace my amber signal lenses.Some places it's illegal to run amber lights as constant on. http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/735/clear-red-replacement-turn-signal-lenses

OK OK Time for some pics.This is her after all the maintenance and tuning was done.I've put about 2500 miles on her and getting a feel for what I need for traveling.

Please let me know if fukobucket says I have exceeded my band width.It shouldn't happen,unless they down grade my membership.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's that tiny tail light I speak so highly of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those bags will be going away.Hopefully in favor of some hard shell saddle bags.I like the large Mutazu bags and trunk but I have seen the crap that those things are.So maybe something used or possibly home brew.I may just mount up some of those JCW top boxes as side bags and get their larges trunk for my top box.I would like to keep my rear seat clear for a quick sack to keep things in I may want quick access to.I won't run a tank bag.I despise those things.

Part two coming right up.
  2. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    During my phase of getting used to the V Star quirks,I found the popping on decel to be annoying to say the least.Even with rejetting it won't go away.To solve this issue I removed the AIS (air injection system).It's that ugly looking thing on the left side of the bike beside the shifter.This system SUCKS ASS.

[​IMG]

About and hour later and the system is gone and the tubes are capped.

BOOM GONE!That regulator rectifier is getting changed for a better FH012AA unit soon.
    [​IMG]

I used compression fittings and caps to block the tubes off.
    [​IMG]

One of the oddest things about the V Star 650 is the clutch,or more specific,the shitty lever ratio.The clutch lever is like and on/off switch because the friction zone is so small,maybe 3/16 of an inch.To compound the problem,when the lever is adjusted properly,the friction zone is right at the end of the lever throw.This causes people with small hands to ride the clutch.This is a common problem and a few mods have been conjured up to solve the problem.The first mod up is the clutch spring mod that allows the lever to be adjusted closer to the grip.Works a treat cost me $6. http://650ccnd.com/clutchspring.htm The next mod up is called the 8 Ball mod after the inventor.It simply changes the lever ratio and gives a larger friction zone and make technical clutch work easier.It also makes the clutch less like an on off switch.I haven't done the mod yet but it's coming up.Here is pics to help understand how it's done.The Clevver everyone raves about is the same mod just done on a new blank lever.

[​IMG]

Onto the next and up coming mod,the fabulous FH012AA regulator rectifier AKA R/R.This rectifier is more efficient than the older shunt style and doesn't get hot like those do.I have noticed on my other bikes that this regulator allows more juice from the stator to the battery.Actually it just frees up whats there to do more charging.I am planning LEDs all around and a HID kit to cut down on electrical requirements for the bike,so I can run a couple accessories.I'd like to be able to charge my phone from a USB port,run my GPS,and charge a 10 inch net book.Noooooo,not all at the same time.This is one simple install.I just have to make a wiring pig tail to connect the new R/R to the factory wiring.This unit runs cool enough,I could relocate it to the battery compartment and probably make the charging system operate just a shade more efficiently.I will have to look and see.Either way,the R/R will have to be relocated.I am installing a bash plate.LOL Not really a bash plate.I call it a debris guard or dare I say,GULP,a gravel guard?I don't plan to go offroad but I don't stick to interstates unless I need to make up time.I think my fender hangs down low enough to protect the engine,but my luck isn't great so I'm adding a,GULP,gravel guard.

Here's the info on the FH012AA R/R.I buy them off Ebay cheap and I have never came across a bad one.They rarely go bad like the shunt type.the shunt type part number start with SH.the better FET based start with FH.There's quite a bit on the net about these and on here as well.They only work on three phase stators,which is most bikes. http://roadstercycle.com/Frequently asked questions.htm
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    If things go as planned,I should have an update on where my parts are for the rear signal conversion to 3 way lights and possibly a solution to remounting and wiring the R/R.
  4. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relays for the rear signal light conversion are ordered,$18.60US for six of them shipped.Now I am off to order the red rear lenses.
  5. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty impressed with the work you're doing.

I just bought a 2000 VStar 650 Custom from a friend who decided to stop riding. I'm really enjoying the heck out of it. I've done one local mountain run into South Lake Tahoe and back over Carson Pass (~8600') and was pretty impressed with how well the bike did, as I am not a tiny person by any stretch.

I'm also not real handy, but will be doing some of the maintenance on the machine myself. In fact, the ease of working on these machines and the large amount of information out there about them are some reasons I decided to go with this bike.

I kind of wish I had held out for a Classic instead of a Custom, because I like the floorboards more than the pegs and the wider front tire. I may put boards on later. I've been researching ways to remount the aft turn signals so I can put bigger bags on. Mostly, though, I'm just going to maintain it and ride it.

I'll be following along here with interest. Small bikes are NOT useless....they're a lot of fun and can do much more than some folks think...
  6. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.My '00 Classic didn't come with floorboards.I have the wide tapered pegs.Check these out.They could be done on the cheap.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/beiMn-UmyF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not sure how to move the signals back on that model.I'm sure someone on one of the forums would have an idea.
  7. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now to tally this up.I bought 6 relays of which I will only use 3 for the 3 way light conversion and two red 2267 Kury lenses.

$9.90 for the lenses off Amazon.com
    $9.30 for 3 relays
    $6.00 for a assorted pack of connectors.I should have everything,but just in case.Should cover the dual filament sockets.
    $25.20 total

That seems fairly cheap,considering I could have bought one of those $50+ converter boxes.I'd still have to buy the lenses and dual filament sockets.

I should have mentioned,I have a trip planned this weekend.Leaving friday morn.SWMBO will be taking our camera,so no trip report this time.
  8. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    The V Star have carb heaters.They use around 60w to 65w from the research I've done.Since I live in a warm area, and don't ride in the cold (below 50F),I am hoping I can eliminate the carb heaters to conserve power.I asked about this on the C,C,& D forum.I hope I can without the ECM throwing a code and causing the engine to run in limp mode.I found this page that breaks down the V star electrical useage and requirements. http://www.650ccnd.com/ele.htm

Carb heaters are a no go.They have to stay or issues with the ECM come up and carb icing becomes a problem.I don't suspect they with operate often.
  9. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few updates here.I have been having speedo issues.It's been reading up to 20 mph faster than my actual speed.I wondered why I felt like I was being ran over all the time.Pulled everything apart and re did some maintenance I did about a month ago.I found no issues with the speedo but I re-lubed all my cables and made sure everything was seated in properly.

While I was at it,I pulled all my light bulbs and wrote down there P/Ns and wattages.My bike still has all the original lights and bulbs.That's cool.I found my front signals are two different circuits and not one as I originally suspected.I was under the impression that the front lights were running lights with a circuit to blink the light when the signal is on.

The lights are as follows.

Headlight 60w/55w = 9003
    Tail/Brake 8w/27w = 1157
    Running/turn signal 8w/27w = 1157
    Speedo/Indicator 1.7w = 74 1.4w closest I can find to the originals

Now I am off to match up LEDs with the correct bulb.The crazy little 1.7w dash bulbs are covered here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710657 Thank you google.

Now onto the pics of work done today.I even got to cruise around Lake Bowen.

Stripped the tank and seats off.Rear seat has to be removed to get the front seat off.The tank can be removed with the seats in place but I'd rather not risk damaging my seat to save five minutes.
    [​IMG]

Pulled the frame neck covers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued in next post.
  10. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    The little shaft drive VSTAR 650 Cruiser is probably one of my favorite cruisers out there. The classic with the large front fender not the other one with the little shorty front fender.

Enjoy it. I might wind up with one later on in life :freaky
  11. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulled the airbox and throttle cables.Check out those sexy exotic down draft carbs.
    [​IMG]

Cables re-lubed and ready to go back in.
    [​IMG]

While I was at it,I checked how much room I had for LED bulbs.Suprisingly,the lollipop signals are a sturdy cast aluminum and so is the taillight base.The lenses are quality and stand up to the heat of the 1157 bulbs flashing.

Front signal.I pulled these to check if they were single or dual circuit.They are dual circuit.I like how the brighter filament is oriented to face out.
    [​IMG]

The rear.The signals are single circuit and will require me to replace the socket, so I can run dual filament bulbs.Shouldn't be a big deal.I like how the bulbs sockets are oriented so that the filament is facing out.
    [​IMG]

I have some concerns about running a 360 degree LED in the tail light.I think the light will be to centralized and not completely light up the lens.The flat LED bulb that fills the lens is $100 plus shipping.It does have a lot of LEDS.I had considered installing double sockets with one bulb pointing up and one pointing down.
    [​IMG]

Here is where all the lights plugs into the main chassis wiring harness.
    [​IMG]

Tag does a nice job of covering it up.Police don't like them being turned around backwards.I just blame it on JDRocks pulling a prank. :evil Yes I know the reflector is bent.I'll be removing it when I do the 3 way light mod on my signals.I need more tag light anyway.
    [​IMG]
  12. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can swing it,do it.I prefer the classic over the Custom.If I was looking for a fast chopperish looking bike,I'd go for the Custom.It has a larger diameter narrower front tire that doesn't last long.

[​IMG]
  13. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Cruisers do make great touring bikes. I have nearly 160,000 miles on 2 Kawasaki Vulcan 750s, a '93 and an '02, both bought new. I do use a tank bag, and a Tbag , as well as saddlebags, and strap something to the back seat. Cruisers in this size range are comfortable and handle well. The only problem I see with the V-Star 650 is it's tube type tires. How do you fix a flat out on the road? Here's my setup

[​IMG]
  14. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool set up.I got bags for mine.I really want some lockable hard bags.I am watching and waiting for a cheap rear rack.I might "Wing it" and go for a rear trunk with back rest.My son rides with me on the weekends.

The V Star tires aren't hard to break the bead.I was planning a patch kit and a set of spare tubes.The patch kit will be extensive so I can patch the tire or tube.I would only patch the tire if the hole was large enough to allow dirt in and chafe the tube.I had considered sealing the wheels or doing the Virago mag wheel swap.I just don't want a tall skinny tire on the front of this bike.They wear out to fast.I'm not sure if I'd trust sealed spoke wheels.

I will be away after tomorrow evening.I am supposed to be heading to the NC coast.I haven't been further than 220 miles from home on the V Star.I've had the bike just over two months.It's time to expand it's boundaries.
  15. Byork

Byork Novice

Oddometer:

Check out MUTAZU for a rack. I think they make them for less than $50 for your bike. I don't know what they normally go for, but for my vulcan 900 a rack can be costly. MUTAZU has my rack for $58.

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=22&menu=Honda
    click on Honda Sissy Bars

Hope that helps! Nice bike too!
  16. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope.Just the passenger back rest.It's a replica of the yamaha unit which I have.Their 950 rack looks like the original yamaha rack,but mounts wider.I'm looking at a few on evilbay.
  17. Byork

Byork Novice

Oddometer:
    whoops just realized I said Honda, not Yamaha. Either way, it was worth a try. Good luck, keep updating and posting pics.
  18. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  19. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't get to make the trip I wanted to this weekend so I made short 150 mile trips close by between rain storms.SWMBO and the kid got home and now I have access to the camera once again.I hope to be posting up on the rear signal to three way lights conversion.I got some maintenance to get done also.

I'm thinking of making a thread titled,"Ben's crazy local trips around the foothills and mountains."Every weekend,I go for a ride, and sometimes through the week. I see some craziness and coolness.I should take pics and just post them to show people what can be found around the corner if they stop to look around.Maybe some will be interested enough to visit some of the places.I dunno.Just thinking out loud.
  20. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, checking back in. Since last posted, had dealer put on new front tire and brakes pads. Oil and filter change with Rotella T. Bags on, sissy bar off, seat replaced with Saddlemen Explorer-great seat. Then did a run up to Robertson Flat past Foresthill near Auburn, CA...all well, bike ran and handled great and is really a little blast to ride.

Some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]