Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:
    good point!
  2. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    WOW Karl. :clap Being a painter by trade I thought I had some mad caulking skills :D I have meant my match.

Seriously though. I looked but didn't really catch what the material is thats coming out of the machine?
  3. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the "adult toy" thing comes to fruition, you really don't wanna know...................... :puke1

4. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:
    It's simple plastic and there are a couple different types/colors available.

It come's in spools like weed whacker cord, and it is melted by a hot tip similar to a hot glue gun...
  5. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. bastardbiker

bastardbiker Lost in the Void

Oddometer:

Actually I think that using a 3d printer to make motorcycle fairing molds designed in CAD could be a pretty lucrative business...
  7. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    And your point?? :ddog

8. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. The chatter is getting fun today. I like the crate and fairing options. My DR650 would love one that looks like it is going to do the Dakar Rally.
  9. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    A few guys at the RTE the other day had not watched this yet.

Bill's new Beemer 1200GS
    by: dtgoss32
    <IFRAME style="WIDTH: 640px; HEIGHT: 389px" id="xtranormal_Bill's new Beemer 1200GS" marginHeight=0 border=0 src="http://www.xtranormal.com/xtraplayr/7110381/bills-new-beemer-1200gs" frameBorder=0 name="xtranormal_Bill's new Beemer 1200GS" marginWidth=0></IFRAME>
  10. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @GSAPilot, put me down for $1/bridge, plus another $1/bridge after the next Richmond FF kicks in.

(Linky here.)
  11. Dirtmonkey8

Oddometer:
    Nice Brenda. I was all stoked to do this when it was posted the other day until I saw Thursday at 13:00 which I can't do. I will instead pay $1 for every bridge Brenda goes over or under or $60 should the number of bridges be less than last year.

EDIT* Reading that again I see now that Brenda is pledging and not riding. I will pledge my support to a rider in need of more pledges.
  12. MotoMujer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dirt, to clarify, I won't be able to make the ride either, but I am supporting GSAPilot's (over/under) bridge crossings. I'm sure he'll be tickled by your additional support! :clap

Edit: I see your edit. All good!
  13. Dirtmonkey8

Oddometer:
    Sorry. I was not trying to confuse anyone. I was just confused myself. Brenda, did you have a DR650 not too long ago or am I confusing you with someone else?
  14. MotoMujer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dirt, the only bike I've had in recent history apart from the baby GS is a '73 CB500. At one point I was chatting about possibly also getting a DR, but something more like a DR200 (or XT225). At this point I'm leaning toward fiddling with the F650's suspension and such instead (or first? TBD).
  15. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    Brenda, thank you for the plug and pledge... I'll be posting my real time ride with the SPOT (12pm - 6pm) Thursday and then have a Ride Report that night on the SMIB site. All pledgers or Riders get a SMIB sticker.
  16. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    My point is they would be CUSTOM.

The other point is that I wasn't thinking about adult toys or guns.:lol3
  17. Dirtmonkey8

Oddometer:
    Yep. I was confused. Work is so distracting sometimes... Those little bikes are fun. I had an XT225 for a few months, but even as short as I am it was way too small for me. My knees were so bent I could hardly get my butt off the seat. I tried to get my dad to buy it but he said it was too peppy and powerful for him. The low end torque scared him. It was fun to watch.
  18. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    For anyone looking for something to do, the Military Aviation Museum in VA Beach is having their WWII airshow next weekend. They're promising a flying FW-190, an ME-262 (!!!) and the world's only flyable DH Mosquito.

I'm planning on riding out Saturday with some friends.

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/ww2-airshow.html
  19. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:

Being the Cad Guru has benefits, but Fairings and such are complex flowing rounded shapes, which no current Cad program is good for relating to design...unfortunatly...

BT, have you actually seen / held the plastic used for that process?
    I had a "Flatbed" type 3d Modeler back around '95 when I worked for Gould, it had a 12 x 12 platen, and deposited layers like an ink jet printer.
    Cost a bizillion$$ for the thing then, and the prototype plastic was very soft and not durable, a cross between extremely hard wax and flakey plastic, actually about the same as hot-melt glue sticks... It would print "layers" about .002"-.005" th'k., and any voids during the vertical build contained "pillars" spaced out so you could crumble them out after the build...which supported the next consecutive layer.

I have to think even today, the meltable material is still soft, and fragile comparably.

The new industrial rage is UV hardenable plymers, where a High output UV light probe circulates in a "vat" of polymer, and "prints" the pattern by hardening in a vertical build in a similar fashion. Those plastics are much harder, and can actually be utilized for finished parts...unfortunatly they cost $$$$$$$$$$$ :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  20. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I read, it prints with ABS or something called PLA.