Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. 65SlashTwo

65SlashTwo Da Pigu Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good points all, PhiSig. I agree with the 'best practices' approach, especially when a high percentage of the students are beginners or even intermediates with limited experience. Can't recall if my riderCoach was satisfied with my answer or pressed the narrative but no matter. Critical thinking or 'grain of salt' with any particular technique may not mean anything if the person has no basis otherwise.
    I'm teaching my two teenage sons to ride dirt bikes and have forgotten how much there is to get across to them as they progress!
    I've been riding for 35yrs. and still enjoy picking up tidbits of technique here and there when taking instruction.
  2. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    The rain has really perked up the greenery:

[​IMG]

And, the water crossings actually have water:

[​IMG]

I had a nice ride this morning....
  3. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it's all great stuff and everyone has the right to learn as many bad habits and riding practices that they are comfortable with after the course...:D
  4. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey DonB:

Any interest in the ride tomorrow?

Dave
  5. DonBenito

DonBenito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This ride is gonna happen next Thursday, 8-15-13. There seemed to be more folks with availability for next week.

I'm thinking a 7:30am start time, leaving from the Circle K at Speedway and Houghton and heading out Redington from there.
  6. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    10-4. I'm probably out for that one.

If anyone wants to do Redington - control road - down Cat Highway tomorrow at 9:30AM, shoot a post up tonight. We can meet at the usual Circle K on Tanque Verde.

Dave
  7. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
    I'm Jealous! I've been stuck in Phoenix this summer for an internship, and miss riding down in Tucson!
  8. Fastphil38

Fastphil38 AZ Offroad

Oddometer:
    Hey Motos, I was thinking about doing the Bellota Ranch loop Saturday morning, This is a B ride with steep desents and climbs with rock gardens you know all of the fun stuff. I would not ride it on a big bike unless you have the mad moto skills. So if anyone is up for this ride post up and we can put it together. I will not ride this solo. Ride On! Phil
  9. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil, I think I'd like to get in on this. Have you done chiva falls east entrance? I'm looking for a difficulty comparison, as I'll be on my KL600 which is a little bit big but very capable. :evil
  10. Fastphil38

Fastphil38 AZ Offroad

Oddometer:
    Hey Friedom, Yes I have done the Chiva east, If you are a B rider or better this is doable but I have not done the ride in about a year and with the rains it could be tricky, it does have some steep desents and some climbs. and lots of rocks it should be about a 3 hour ride, I will get back to you tomorrow about the start time and meeting place. Ride On! Phil
  11. Friedom

Oddometer:
    So at the risk of exposing my ignorance here, what is a 'b rider'? My googling tells me that it relates to faster riders in MX. Speed doesn't really translate directly to difficulty, though does it?

Wait, my bike an 86, so that makes it a KL600B. I'm definitely a 'B rider'. :rofl

Seriously, though, don't want to get in over my head..:eek1
  12. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Sorry I couldn't get in on this one, Dave. My free Thursday turned into a Friday off instead. Hopefully next week Thursday will work, looking to be a good group!
  13. Fastphil38

Fastphil38 AZ Offroad

Oddometer:
    Sorry Dude, Its really not a big bike ride to me a B rider can get in and out of most condtions and rides evey weekend, I have seen Honda 650Rs down in the canyon. I just dont know the conditions since its been a year or more since I did the loop. Ride On! Phil
  14. Friedom

Oddometer:
    I'm a little torn, then. I'm very comfortable on my bike and have been in plenty of hairy places, but I'm sure there's a limit. Also, my new rear knobbie won't arrive until next week, and this stocker is get pretty smooth..

I've been up reddington a couple of times in the last month, rains haven't done too much yet. But I haven't been in the canyons north of reddington, either. I do watch storm activity up there diligently as I Love running up to tanque Verde falls when they're rolling. storms should be back on Saturday, too :clap

Bummer, maybe I'll duck out this time.

Anyone know how hard the Back door to chimney rock is?
  15. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    If fastphil won't ride it solo, that should give you a clue as to its difficulty. :deal
  16. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Fair 'nuff.
  17. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Phil,

Just took my Jeep around the loop 2 weeks ago. Not much different than ever. The only place that can give someone fits, especially on a big bike is going up the hill, but I assume you are going in at Castle Rock not out. As you know I have done this many times on my 650R but I do remember a time that I had trouble going up that hill on it (I finally made it but not before my kicking leg about broke off). It is lose on that hill.

Friedom...if you have any skills at all...you can do this.
  18. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    well that seals it for me. I'm out.
  19. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:

You were NEVA IN...Two Spot :clap
  20. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Well I've got a dr250 that might donate a knobbie tonight...