What helmet for winter?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Discojon75, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Discojon75

Discojon75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My old Schuberth C2 was great but not DOT certified and frankly is simply worn out plus got dropped once or twice. What helmet provides good warmth in the winter but good ventilation in the summer with an acceptable noise level. Ideally I'd like to be able to add a Scala headset or other Bluetooth to it.
  2. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    You want a perfect helmet. Prepare to pay lots of money and still be unsatisfied.

I'd suggest two cheaper helmets - something breezy for hot weather errands and something more sealed up for long, colder trips. Sealed up will be more quiet, too.

Unless of course you live in San Diego or somewhere like it, in which case I hope you die from your perfect weather.
  3. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Whatever you get just make sure there is a pinlock available for it!

PinlockUSA :deal

Makes all the difference in the world riding in cold temps.
  4. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain
    My HJC will be way to breezy for winter. So I am listening in on this.
  5. InDenial

InDenial Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been very impressed with my Schuberth C-3. Keeps me head warm on the highway at 70 in 35 degree weather. That's good enough for me. Best helmet I've had.
  6. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dualsport helmet works pretty well, my AFX DS39 plus a balaclava keeps me warm in sub-zero temps.

Out snowmobiling it's an HJC CLX6, balaclava, and 509 goggles. Again, good to sub-zero.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    When I would commute from the foothills in to Denver in the winter I would wear a silk balaclava. I think from the campmor.com site. I wore it with my HJC half helmet with the the "ear muffs" zipped on and a snap on shield. Temps in the mid 20s for 45 mins, no problems.
  8. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This X 1 million. The Pinlock system is awesome...got it with my million dollar Shoei Neotec, which is also awesome...
  9. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's called "what ever helmet you currently have, plus a Boclava". :lol3
  10. Fibzzz

Fibzzz Resident Cynic

Oddometer:
    +1. I have a Klim neck warmer for cool-not-cold temps, and a balaclava for cold-not-cool! When the Fall weather rolls in I carry both in my topcase and switch back and forth as needed.
  11. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Although heavy, it's the best I could find. 3 vents, internal visor, flip lid, Scala Q2 screwed into removable panel on left side-branches have knocked the Q2 off & I think the panel acts as a quick release vs having the Q2 break. For winter, around 32F, I just install a panel (included w/helmet) under the chin & it's comfortable enuf. Got a balaclava too but haven't felt the need. My jacket collar seals out most of the wind. You can buy a pinlock & heated visor if you want.

Because it's a flip lid, I mounted a 1/4 20 screw on the right side & Drift HD170 films forwards or back:
    http://youtu.be/woTLe5wEmRw
    From recent ADV rally Cromag. Look in the bike's rear view mirror for a view of the helmet.
  12. birdie_xx

birdie_xx Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. vicmitch

vicmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snowmobile helmets work for me. Just bought this one [​IMG]
  14. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
  15. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
  16. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Bell Revolver Evo (the one with the upgraded seals)

It is a non-dorky looking modular helmet with a very easy to use pop down sunglasses that aren't too dark but get the job done.

And they have the "snowmobile helmet option" You can get either the double lense or the double lense with electric element option, breath box, and an amber sunglasses replacement. I opted for the electric visor, Still waiting for a cold day to test it out.

The helmet itself is pretty comfortable, Wore it on my 1000+ mile off road rally in canada and a ride from virginia to manhatten around ny, and back ride. and a few local rides. My only complaint, as with any modular, is wind noise. Headphones that go into my ear help quite a bit with that problem though. The second complaint would be that every now and then the helmet will try to lift off over 110mph.

All and all it is a great all around helmet for me and what I use it for. Low speed and around town, I drop the sunglasses down and flip the face shield up for better airflow and to talk to buddies at the red lights. At speed on the highway I can leave the faceshield up without it ripping my headoff. The price is awesome (revzilla.com)
  17. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a Noland N04 right before a 4,500+ mile ride, great helmet, good venting, or closed and this thing is very quiet.
    Rode with in temps from 98F in Texas down to 30F in Colorado with a neck warmer and was very comfortable.
    Modular, big viewing with pinlock, weight was less than I expected.

[​IMG]
  18. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pick your favorite color, wear it under your loosest fitting helmet.

http://www.google.com/search?client...pw.r_qf.&fp=d72f6dbc0135da45&biw=1529&bih=873

All I do is get a few hardhat liners every fall, wear them under my helmet when riding and under my hardhat at work. Normally by spring they are shot, either catching them on fire welding or past the point of washing.

YMMV, and they seem to last a lot longer if you don't work construction.
  19. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: