Oil in airbox! & MPG way down

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Burner29, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Burner29

Burner29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys

My first question on here! So I was on the last leg of a 3000km ride, getting 300-350kms out of a tank consistently.
    Filled up and immediately my display showed a dramatically reduced range, I figured bad gas and that it would sort itself out. So another 800 kms later I'm down to about 200-250kms per tank consistently, the bike seems to be running fine though.

I did an oil change yesterday and generally gave the bike a once over. The only strang thing I found was oil residue inside the air box, the air filter itself was perfect, no oil residue inside the pipes leading into the throttle bodies.

So where did the oil come from? Is this a concern??
    and what happened to my fuel mileage??

Cheers,

J
  2. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Did you do the air filter inspection where you hold a light behind the air filter to see if you can see through it?
    I had one clog so bad at 4000 mile mark the bike was running bad. Looked good to my eye but it was clogged by white fine dust from group riding on stone roads.
    new air filter made a big difference :D
  3. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny you say the filter looks perfect. I have a TL1000 and I had checked my filter regularly because I do alot of backroad riding which many times turns into dirt roads. It always looked great until I realized it draws air backwards thru the filter and I was looking at the wrong side for dirt. Hell I found entire grasshoppers in it when I pulled it out.
  4. Burner29

Burner29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    knocked a little bit of dirt out of the filter, no dust… its all good

Any thoughts as to the where the oil came from? Anyone?
  5. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The crank case breather system vents back into the air box. There is a seal on the end of one of the cams that I believe is intended to stop excess oil from entering the system. How much oil are you talking about - a tablespoon or a cup?
  6. Burner29

Burner29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd say no more than a tea spoon. I cleaned it out and have since put on another 1500kms and its still clean in there.

I disconnected the battery and left it overnight, thinking that it would reset the computer and well, who knows… filled up and reset all the dashboard values and wouldn't you know it today I got 350kms & 370kms out of the next two fill ups!

Mileage is back up and even better than before!!