Dual Sport Luggage Racks

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by jackpiner57, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Rhino, I am not making the side mounts for the Gas Packs and I took the one on my bike off. The DRZ's aluminum subframe twists and flexes way too much. Twelve lbs. hanging on one side is not a good idea in my opinion. The wider the rack is, the more leverage the Gas Pack's weight exerts on the rack and subframe. The DR might handle this a little better with it's steel subframe, but I still don't like the idea.

What width are you thinking for a DR rack? The exhaust shield is certainly doable, as is a center mount plate for the RotopaX Pack Mount.

I have been busy with other fabricating work and haven't had a chance to develop the DR rack yet. I need someone to bring me their unmodified stock original DR for me to design it. Of course whoever brings it will get a free rack.
  2. rhino_adv

rhino_adv Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Tom,....I would like a rack 17 inches wide and extend back 12 inches beyond the rear of the seat. I would like to see pannier racks intagrated into this, coming down 12 inches, starting right in front of the turn signals and going to the rear of the plastic side covers on both sides ( I like my soft luggage as far back and as high as possible). I feel the subframe of the DR would be sturdy enough to carry a 1gal. Rotopax if it is mounted as high and as close to the fender as possible.

I wish I was close enough to loan you my DR, but im 1/2 way across the country.

thanks
  3. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Brad, when I have the time and when someone brings me a DR I will see if those dimensions will work. The rotopax mount in close to the fender just might work with the DR. It will take some R&D work.

I'm too busy with other work right now and to be honest, haven't sold more than a few of the DRZ racks. All of my customers have been very happy with their purchase though. There isn't enough profit at the price I sell them for to be worth turning away other more profitable projects.
  4. homere

homere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, That looks good !!
  5. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These racks are absolutely awesome! Any plans for a KLX250 rack?
  6. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I do plan to make racks for different models including the KLX250, WR250R, DR650, KLR650, and some of the KTM and Husky/BMW models. What I need, is for someone to bring me their bike for a few hours of R&D so I can make one to fit the bike and then make a jig for it. Whoever brings me their bike will get a free rack.

I really need to put a notice in the Northeast regional forum looking for willing participants.
  7. Gom Jabbar

Gom Jabbar Murder-Make

Oddometer:
    You got any of these left? I would like one.

8. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    Anything available for the kawai klr 250??
  9. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Gom Jabbar, I do have a few left. I sent you a PM.
  10. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Sorry Ranier, I don't have one for that model yet. If someone would stop by with a KLR 250, I would make them one for free and then build a jig for it.
  11. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I've got 3 of these for the DR-Z400S left.
  12. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Still have a few left.
  13. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tom, I lost track of this whole project and am just now checking back. Awesome, I'll shoot you a PM! :D
  14. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Answered your PM. I still have a couple of these left that do not have the RotopaX mount. I can add it if needed though.
  15. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd take a DRZ rack with bungee loops in the corners please! PM sent.
  16. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I didn't get your PM so give it another try. I also suggest the loops be on the sides about 9" apart instead of in the corners. That way you can lash a bungee across the luggage better. I can do it any way you want though. - Tom
  17. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Just to clear up the confusion about which racks I'm selling right now, it's the angled corner racks with no RotopaX mount and no bungee loops as pictured in my beginning post #1 for $89.00 shipped

I can however add the loops for 10.00 and the RotopaX mounting plate for another 15.00

I can also custom fabricate whatever add on's you might need. Just PM me for a price.

I plan to be making a few rounded corner racks after I sell the last few angle corner racks I have left.
  18. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds good . I'll try the PM again.
  19. rlund

rlund n00b

Oddometer:
    2008 Klr racks available
  20. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for someone to bring me a KLR so I can make a rack for it and build a jig to make more. Whoever brings me their bike for this purpose gets a free rack.