california sidecar hitchhiker shock question

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Jimm Dandy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Jimm Dandy

Jimm Dandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 80's hitchhiker hack.. it came with an air shock which is now leaking.. I need to replace it wtih another air shock or a coil over shock... cant seem to find anything a the auto parts stores or the local mc. shop.. any info would be appreciated..
  2. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the bottom of the page is a chart with all of the dimensions so you can measure what you have and use this to cross reference. Dave is really good about getting you what you need and he will sell odd numbers of shocks also. He will break up a set and sell only 5 for a Ural instead of making you buy 3 sets. Worth calling him.

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html
  3. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
  4. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last Hitchhiker sidecar we had in the shop had a Monroe automotive air shock on it, If there is not a spring around the out side of the shock it may be an automotovie air shock in which case you would need to go to an auto parts store to find the same thing however you should be able to get a motorcycle type shock that will work much better for you. It need not be air. Dave Quinn is great to deal with.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  5. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Actually you may be better off without the air type shock. We have converted these sidecars to a torsion bar suspension with a simple tilt adjustment as another option. Not bad sidecars at all even though there were variations over the years of manufacture.
  6. Jimm Dandy

Oddometer:
    thanks fellars.. I have an appt. w Lonnie to dial me in once i find a shock.. met him last week on my way home from Vernons hack class.. both guys are TOP DRAWER
  7. Jimm Dandy

Oddometer:
    cali sidecar didnt build the hitchhiker... its was built by the hitchhiker sidecar company in ohio.. DUH!!
  8. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    There were a few versions of the Hitchhiker and a couple of different chassis designs. Never were made by CSC though.