The shiney new bike syndrom....

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Offcamber, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every year about this time I get the desire to trade in or sell my current bike and buy a new, bigger fancier bike....

I think this comes from not being able to ride for 4 months.

My current bike is an 09 Versys that set up well for light touring. Its a great bike but has its limitations. Not the greatest for two up riding ( the wife doesn't feel comfortable on it) and I wouldn't mind a bit more power. The plus side its pretty much fully farkled....and the biggy, its fully paid for...has been for over a year.

So the internal struggle....sell it and get a bigger bike that needs to be farlked plus a payment. Or keep what I got...
    In the past the wallet wins out and I don't buy anything...although last year I bought a used KLR to play with...( I know what some will say....sell that one, but Kermit has won my heart so I'm keeping that one)

I realize the only person who can answer it is me but I figure I'm not the only one going through this struggle.
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a new bike. As you have learned the strom is a good bike but it is lack luster and uninspiring. Choose wisely but get something that puts a grin on your face.
  3. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

The op said "My current bike is an 09 Versy" what would he have learned about a strom while riding a Kawasaki?

:ear
  4. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I'm thinking of...and I haven't even seen one in person let alone ride it is a Yamaha Super Tenere....Features and Price point are on the mark....plus I can swap some of my farkles....Aux Lights, Panniers etc...
  5. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I vote with Dakez - get something that really fills a need and captures your imagination. Then ride it a long time. My 2004 KTM 950 was practically an impulse purchase powered by emotion. I was planning on buying a BMW GS, when I stopped into a KTM store just to look. I sat on her and was smitten. She reminded me of my old YZ and was in my barn within a few days. I never got tired of that bike, nor regretted the money I poured into her. She took me all over the continent. I only just sold her last spring.

Her replacement is the hottest little bad girl I've ever owned. Beautifully sculpted orange trellis chassis, graced with long WP legs, and a heart filled with a piston the size of a coffee can! She's stopped by Italian brakes, and weighs in at an athletic and toned 300lbs. :raabia

Dang she's somethin' !!!

and expensive too. :D

[​IMG]
  6. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a sweet looking bike....:clap
  7. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I did that when I got the /5. I periodically go (went) window shopping, but ended up going home to ole reliable.

--Bill
  8. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    TC,
    Did you forget that DAKEZ is a Harley motorcycle salesman?:rofl
    Sorry DAKEZ, couldn't pass the chance to get a zinger in.
  9. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    I am at the other end of the spectrum.....I like my bikes DirTay! So every year around this time I start looking for another abused, tired, dirty, old girl to add to the garage....:D
  10. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Yer wise in choose'in the Tenere. It may not be as "fun" as the KTM, but reliability is mor important. Besides, if'n ya know how ta ride, you can have fun on any bike. :D (As long as it starts 'n runs when ya turn the key)
  11. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ironically there is a KTM dealer right in town which is odd because the only other dealer in town is HD...All the the others went out of business when we had the snow drought for a few years. the other dealers relied heavily on Snowmobile sales which dried up. So for anything other than KTM or HD I have to drive an hour minimum.....but I'm not opposed to a fly and ride if the price is right. :D

The KTM dealer sells primarly full off-road and racing bikes....not to many dualpsorts or Adventure Bikes....I'm sure they could get it if tI wanted it but they are a little pricey for my tastes.
  12. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    why don't you spend a little money on some wilbers/ohlins for your bike so that it's set up to fit you and the way you ride?

I have a set of Ohlins set up on my 1150GS for my weight and riding style and I can push it harder in corners than my Aprilia Futura or K1200RS with stock suspensions.
  13. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:lol3 I had a moto mag on the desk next to me that had the new strom on the cover when I read the post. DOH!!! NEVER Mind that part. But the last part still applies.

Look into the Triumphs.
  14. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea but I would still be stuck with 650 engine....Although the Kawi 650 is a very good engine it can't compare to an 1100 on power. Loaded for touring and add a passenger and you defiantly feel a drop in performance.

I am looking into the Triumphs, 2 hour ride just to look at one....the defiantly fit the Shinny factor
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wasn't pitching KTM's. I was saying buy something that fills a need and moves you. For me that was a KTM 690R.

If you happen to be interested in KTM's, the nicest twin streetbike I've ever ridden was a 2010 KTM 990 SM-T. It's basically similar to your present style bike, but obviously much more powerful and has real character. You should demo one. The 990 Adventure is nice too, but not sure how good it is two-up. You can probably get them pretty well priced.

I don't quite get the new Yamaha. It seems too big. I like Yamaha in general, though. We have an R6 race bike and it is a very well made machine. I also have a Yamaha WR250R. I love that thing. Sort of like a scooter. :lol3
  16. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 995 Sprint St for about 2 months. The motor was absolutely fabulous. I bought it in L.A. and rode it to Savannah. I just couldn't ride it for more than 100 miles without have to stop and stretch.
  17. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    When is the new 1190 adv coming to US? Something to consider. They will start selling here in march, so i am on a look out for a bank to rob.:D I took the smt as well as the 690, for a test ride, both of them lot of fun, the 690 is bit 'busy' if you do lot of blacktop. While i have had the 990adv, without any 'issues' for 6 years now, as a tourer, something like the tenerere, might be better. There are that many models to choose from, of course if you know excactly what you need and have the finance, tell us what you ended up getting anyway!
  18. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    My next question...is how do I convince the wife (aka the War Dept.) that this expenditure is in our best interest. A nicer ride for her is weak because she isn't all that into riding anyway. She is a nervous passenger :lol3
  19. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're better off selling the old bike before it depriciates too much? I don't know, my ex wife gave me the 'me or the bike' line. She was gone shortly after. I'm not good with these types of discussions.

My bike buying is always in the fall, not winter. I think things like 'if I don't do it now I won't be able to ride it until spring'.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
  20. dmason

dmason goofball Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know you so I could be wrong, but I don't think you need a new bike, I think you need to ride more.

When it's the ride that matters the bike becomes a means to an end IMO. Sure, the bike needs to be capable, and it should be at least a little inspiring, but when I come back home from a nice weekend of riding I hardly remember the bike. I ride a Versys by the way.

I think of it in similar terms to my track suit. It's a good suit if its forgotten the moment it's put on.

Sure I'd like a little more oomph from my Versys, and that Triumph 800XC is one sexy bitch, but like you my Versys is paid for, mostly farkled, and ready to take me anywhere I dare to try.

I'm stickin' with her for at least another season.